Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Tactics (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/15-40k-tactics/)
-   -   Those damn Blood Angels.... (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-tactics/166850-those-damn-blood-angels.html)

Miester_Zef 09-06-14 03:13 AM

Those damn Blood Angels....

There is this player i sometimes play. He runs an all drop pod list filled with stern guard and honor guard. With storm ravens bringing more troops and/or dreads. No matter the game his goal is to table the opponent. He ignores all objectives and persues the kill. I run IG, space wolves, and CSMs. I cannot seem to when against him. No matter what i try. Also he is the kind of player that no matter what units you have 'they arnt as good as his army'

Any advice? My dignity needs the win.

Code: Crimson 09-06-14 06:21 AM

He's running a classic gimmick strategy, and the the trick is to make it hard to table you. Basically, run tons of durable units and vehicles (Storm Ravens and Land Raiders) and fill them with super tough units (Plague Marines, maybe Termies?).

Also, when they leave the Drop Pods, his units will all be in one place, meaning you can severely punish him with a proper counter-attack. Take units that can output serious damage on clustered enemies (Obliterators, Defilers), and also plentiful anti-MEQ (Plasma Units and AP 3 templates).

Another thing to keep in mind is that even though his Drop Pods won't scatter, you can still present him with situations where he can't place a unit close enough to kill his target. An example would be baiting him with something expensive and powerful or to create a very strong formation where he can't show up behind you. Hordes will have an easier time of this, but making clever use of walls will save you. Also, since they still are arriving from Reserves, messing with them can be a nice route to take (Comms Relay).

I'm not sure what you meant by that last sentence though; he's a player who emphasizes army synergy over unit strength? Because that's what any good army list should be focusing on anyway, so I don't see his point.

ntaw 09-06-14 06:30 AM

As much as it pains me....I will help you overcome his army. What are the lists you've been running? I play BA against CSM a lot and know that match up well, and also play as IG so I might be able to find some soft spots if you care to share.

Miester_Zef 09-06-14 07:56 AM

My IG i mostly run vet sqadswith chimeras. I dont do gun lines most of the time. Mostly i run melta and plasme vets led by a lord commissar. With leman russ' im tempted to start putting the into reserve to protect them.

I run mostly a version of this (first list) minus the deathstrike. https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...y&army_id=1130

As for as the CSM i run noise marines, lord on steed of slaanesh. Preds with vindies, standard csm and the occassional sorceror.

His first match with me he used vanguards (which got eaten by my Slaanesh marked csms w/ extra ccw) since then he only drops sternguard combat squads. They come in split up and mow everything down in sight.

Miester_Zef 09-06-14 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code: Crimson (Post 1883938)
I'm not sure what you meant by that last sentence though; he's a player who emphasizes army synergy over unit strength? Because that's what any good army list should be focusing on anyway, so I don't see his point.

Mostly its his attitude that bugs me no matters how hard i try he has 'that guy' smirk on his face. Sounds petty now that i type it out though. He always has a negative thing tyo say about my army or units.

maximus2467 09-06-14 10:13 AM

I know the type, I play a Waac player regularly, if he beats me it's because "his army is amazing, my army is crap, his generalship was awesome and my tactics poor" and when he does lose it's 'not his fault he had poor dice rolls' and I was "lucky" and the next time we meet, his army will be geared up specifically to deal with the units in my army that caused him snags the previous time rather than working on a well rounded list, then he complains when in the next game our other friend (there are three of us who meet up at ww once a month or so) annihilates his army that's geared up to take on me specifically. He really does get a bee in his bonnet when he loses lol

ntaw 09-06-14 03:24 PM

I like what you're doing with that Guard list, but I can see why your buddy it having a time against it with Sternguard in Drop Pods. How many Pods does he use? I throw two T1 against my CSM buddy, one a 10 man Assault squad with Meltas and one a Fragioso, and he scrambles for a turn but ultimately smacks them down. The key is in deployment when it comes to facing a heavy T1 presence. I play Deathwing, Drop Pods, (now) Grey Knights- anything that lets me come in across the table T1, and they way my buddy deals with it is by bubble wrapping strong counter-attack units with multiple juicy targets that have less ultimate worth to him long term but are still valuable players. Makes me really choose with my Meltas whether to snag a sure First Blood on a Rhino or try for the one clear/one cover shot I have on the front armour of his Vindicator. Don't put any of your tanks in Reserve, they're then useless for at least one turn. Use your troops to garner cover for them and force tough decisions that have decently tempting results for your enemy but still give you the advantage.

scscofield 09-06-14 03:26 PM

Or just add Cortez to your list.

Miester_Zef 09-07-14 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scscofield (Post 1884522)
Or just add Cortez to your list.

I may sound stupid here but who is cortez?

Miester_Zef 09-07-14 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntaw (Post 1884506)
I like what you're doing with that Guard list, but I can see why your buddy it having a time against it with Sternguard in Drop Pods. How many Pods does he use? I throw two T1 against my CSM buddy, one a 10 man Assault squad with Meltas and one a Fragioso, and he scrambles for a turn but ultimately smacks them down. The key is in deployment when it comes to facing a heavy T1 presence. I play Deathwing, Drop Pods, (now) Grey Knights- anything that lets me come in across the table T1, and they way my buddy deals with it is by bubble wrapping strong counter-attack units with multiple juicy targets that have less ultimate worth to him long term but are still valuable players. Makes me really choose with my Meltas whether to snag a sure First Blood on a Rhino or try for the one clear/one cover shot I have on the front armour of his Vindicator. Don't put any of your tanks in Reserve, they're then useless for at least one turn. Use your troops to garner cover for them and force tough decisions that have decently tempting results for your enemy but still give you the advantage.

So i should put in a deathstrike for example. He either has to go for it or risk having it launch. And unlike him (who doesnt risk his pods any closer than 12 inches to the edge) i love the drift dice and they love me. He drops about 5-6 pods