Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Other Systems (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/100-other-systems/)
-   -   Quit 40k: Now I want a fantasy game. Recommendations? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/other-systems/166674-quit-40k-now-i-want-fantasy-game-recommendations.html)

Straken's_Fist 09-04-14 12:13 PM

Quit 40k: Now I want a fantasy game. Recommendations?

Hey,

So basically, my main reason for quitting 40k was the high model count and amount of time it consumes in my life. It boils down to not having enough time anymore.

Also, I am slowly but surely getting back into Fantasy novels; Starting to read the Silmarillion again and have picked up copies of the Wheel of Time and the Earthsea series. Fun times.

I basically want a small skirmish game that you don't have to dedicate a lot of time too: Low model counts, some good fluff driving it and fairly quick games. And it's really important to me that the miniatures are of excellent quality.

Personally I have nothing against GW's fantasy range: I absolutely love their Wood Elves and Treemen/forest creatures. But WHFB suffers from many of the same problems as 40k from my perspective. Too big, too many models, unbalanced rules, games take too long etc.

I've researched this and so far I think Mordheim is probably the game that ticks all (or at least most) the boxes for me. But are there alternatives?

I play Malifaux already and it's a great game, but not something i'm uber passionate about. I kind of want the traditional dwarves/elves/dragons type of fantasy rather than Steampunk/Horror. I play Dystopian Wars too but that is obviously a very different game...I looked into Warmachine but it is again a bit too steampunky and not enough fantasy for my tastes. Mantic games fantasy range (I forget the name...Kings of War?) seems okay but I am not a massive fan of the models if I am honest.

Any thoughts? Or should I just buy me some Wood Elves and roll with Mordheim?

Cheers

SF

Khorne's Fist 09-04-14 12:36 PM

Mordheim is a great game. My Sisters of Sigmar and Witch Hunters used to do really well. However, finding anyone to play with might be a problem. As for fantasy alternatives, there really aren't many. I think Mantic recently had a KS for something along the lines of HeroQuest, but with a skirmish twist, so that might be worth a look.

Otherwise Malifaux and Infinity have pretty much sewn up the skirmish angle at the moment, with Deadzone way behind.

Tying yourself to the fantasy genre could be a handicap, as you won't explore other great games like Muskets and Tomahawks. I haven't played it yet, but have watched a couple of games, and on the back of them I will be picking up a box of Wargames Factory Forest Indians. Very quick game play, relatively small model count and very smooth rules system

Kreuger 09-04-14 12:51 PM

Hey SF,

I think you've set yourself tough criteria. Fantasy games by the nature of the setting tend to be less skirmish and more model heavy.

If it was still in print I'd recommend Chronopia, which was the fantasy companion to the original Warzone. It was pretty dark, but not at all steampunk.

There's a site with a lot of info at chronopiaworld.com including Pdf's of the rules. The miniatures and rules are still available through Prince August games. The miniatures are somewhat uneven. Some are pretty awesome, others silly.

Best of luck finding a new game!

Straken's_Fist 09-04-14 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist (Post 1881098)
Mordheim is a great game. My Sisters of Sigmar and Witch Hunters used to do really well. However, finding anyone to play with might be a problem. As for fantasy alternatives, there really aren't many. I think Mantic recently had a KS for something along the lines of HeroQuest, but with a skirmish twist, so that might be worth a look.

Otherwise Malifaux and Infinity have pretty much sewn up the skirmish angle at the moment, with Deadzone way behind.

Tying yourself to the fantasy genre could be a handicap, as you won't explore other great games like Muskets and Tomahawks. I haven't played it yet, but have watched a couple of games, and on the back of them I will be picking up a box of Wargames Factory Forest Indians. Very quick game play, relatively small model count and very smooth rules system

Cool thanks. A few people are interested at the FLGS so will give Mordheim my attention from now on. At the end of the day if no one ends up playing regularly, I can just focus on the modelling/painting side.

Not really bothered about handicapping myself to the fantasy genre: I feel like gaming for me is not something that takes up a lot of my free time in my life anymore anyway. Just feel like I am moving on from it in this chapter in my life if you know what I mean. I may pick it all up again the future (seems to come in 7 year waves). Life is change.
I just want to dedicate to 2 or 3 games that are not time consuming and just fun with cool models and stories behind the whole thing. That's it really.

SwedeMarine 09-04-14 03:04 PM

Not sure how you feel about this but you could give LOTR a go. It is a small skirmish game and works a bit differently from the usual GW games. Just as an additional suggestion.

Straken's_Fist 09-04-14 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedeMarine (Post 1881386)
Not sure how you feel about this but you could give LOTR a go. It is a small skirmish game and works a bit differently from the usual GW games. Just as an additional suggestion.

That's weird, as just as I was about to read what you wrote I thought "Oh, what about LOTR's by GW?" And there we have it!

How does it play? I know you only have like 5 models. I know literately no one that plays it though.

SwedeMarine 09-05-14 12:38 AM

I've only seen a few games of it played but it's made for some quick skirmishes or big ger battles I'd you want. We've had only one tournament that I can think of but it wasn't very popular. Not that the idea is bad I think it's the whole LOTR thing that throws people of it. The mythos there is kind of set in stone otherwise it's not really LOTR.

Straken's_Fist 09-06-14 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedeMarine (Post 1882226)
I've only seen a few games of it played but it's made for some quick skirmishes or big ger battles I'd you want. We've had only one tournament that I can think of but it wasn't very popular. Not that the idea is bad I think it's the whole LOTR thing that throws people of it. The mythos there is kind of set in stone otherwise it's not really LOTR.

Yeah I get that. It kind of sucks out the creativity when you have to conform to the LOTR fluff...I think with Mordheim you have much more room for creativity, using any model you want from any range, and giving it your own flavour.

Think I will just roll with Mordheim. :)

Khorne's Fist 09-09-14 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straken's_Fist (Post 1883866)
Think I will just roll with Mordheim.

The beauty of Mordheim these days is the range of plastics you can use to make your warband if you don't want to spend stupid money on the original minis on ebay.

Creon 09-09-14 07:36 PM

High fantasy is hard. If you want some fantasy ish models, Hordes by Privateer press has elves and stuff, and monsters, but is very steampunkish evenin the "fantasy" side.