Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Rules Discussion (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/17-40k-rules-discussion/)
-   -   Grenades.... (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-rules-discussion/165418-grenades.html)

whittsy 08-25-14 02:35 AM

Grenades....

I've heard the rule now is that if a squad's wargear says that each model is armed with (Said) grenade. The squad may only throw 1 grenade.

ie: A squad of 10 Chaos Space Marines are each armed with frag and Krak grenades. The Aspiring Champion is armed with Frag, Krak and Melta Bombs. The squad is attacking a Rhino in CC. They attack the rear armour as stated in the old rules. But when they go to attack, only 1 grenade is allowed to be thrown. Is this correct? Can the Champion throw his bomb and the squad throw 1 Krak grenade? Or can the unit still throw their grenades each (9 grenades and 1 melta bomb).

ie2 (Actual example): My brothers Tau firewarriors are engaged in CC with an Imperial Knight. The knight attacks do not kill the entire unit, leaving 8 fire warriors alive. The firewarriors respond with throwing Haywire Grenades. The rule is read by the Imperial Knight player and states "a squad may only throw 1 grenade". The firewarrior squad gets stomped after doing jack with its 1 Haywire grenade.

I don't understand why, if the wargear states, they have certain wargear, WHY they can't all use their wargear. It's like saying "Your squad is all armed with bolters but you can only fire 1 bolter per turn". (I've been told before to make sarcasm a different colour as sarcasm is hard to pick up on in typing.)

fatmantis 08-25-14 02:51 AM

i belive thats only in the shooting phase..in CC all can use theri grandes on vehicle and MC

Mossy Toes 08-25-14 05:21 AM

"Throwing" a grenade is during the shooting phase--you can still make as many attacks in melee against a vehicle or MC as you want.

I believe it's a balancing mechanic--why fire bolters against something tough (like, say, a light vehicle) at all if you're close enough to throw 10 krak grenades, then assault and melee attack with 10 more krak grenades?

I do, however, believe that the way the rules for grenades are phrased, you may throw one of each type of grenade you have available: you can throw one frag and one krak grenade in the above example, for instance. 3 Plague Marines could forgo firing bolters in order to throw frag, krak, and defensive grenades. This is on account of the fact that each grenade entry says "one model in the squad equipped with this type of grenade may throw one instead of firing another weapon"--that same holds true for each individual entry of grenades.

whittsy 08-25-14 08:37 AM

Thanks for clearing that up guys!

Rush Darling 05-01-15 12:13 PM

Second paragraph under Grenades of the 41st Millenium (Before all of the grenade profiles)

"Only one grenade (Of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase"

So that's one in shooting, one in assault, unless you've got multiple units in the combat, in which case treat yourself.

Vaz 05-01-15 08:22 PM

The only mention of throwing is in the shooting phase. You may make 10 Krak attacks, but only 1 grenade may be thrown.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Angel of Blood 05-02-15 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaz (Post 2122538)
The only mention of throwing is in the shooting phase. You may make 10 Krak attacks, but only 1 grenade may be thrown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush Darling (Post 2122114)
"Only one grenade (Of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase".

Like he said, it's right there at the beginning. One grenade per unit, per phase. So no, only 1 grenade for the unit in combat.

Rush Darling 05-02-15 09:48 AM

Apologies, full paragraph reads:

"Some greandes can be used to make shooting attacks or attacks in the Fight sub-phase, albeit to different effect. Only one grenade (of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase)"

To me this covers both Shooting Phase i.e. "Shooting attacks" and Assault Phase i.e "Fight sub-phase".

If you're point of view is that in the shooting profile of each grenade it actually says the word "Throw", where as in the assault phase it simply says the word "used", and as such as the "(of any type) can be THROWN by a unit per phase", then I can see where you're coming from.

However firstly from a pragmatic sense, I can't see them using the phrase "per phase" if they only meant shooting attacks.

And secondly this would also imply that the attacker doesn't actually throw the grenade, and ten space marines running behind a transport to make a little grenade pile whilst hoping nobody makes a mistake before they're clear seems a little bit odd to me.

But then again, space marines.

MidnightSun 05-02-15 11:14 AM

317 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush Darling (Post 2122898)
And secondly this would also imply that the attacker doesn't actually throw the grenade, and ten space marines running behind a transport to make a little grenade pile whilst hoping nobody makes a mistake before they're clear seems a little bit odd to me.

You do know that the vehicle's rear armour is used because they can post Krak Grenades in through the windows and jam them down the exhaust pipe, not because it's actually the rear armour of the tank being grenaded, right?

I've never seen anyone rule it that you can only use one grenade per unit in combat. Ever.

neferhet 05-02-15 11:39 AM

It's only "trowing" the stuff, that limits you at one per phase. You don't throw grenades in melee, you make a single attack using the grenade profile. Shooting phase or overwatch have you ThROW a single granade instead!
SO, melee is not throwing.