Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Bolter rate of fire (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/164674-bolter-rate-fire.html)

Garviel loken. 08-17-14 06:27 PM

Bolter rate of fire

So anyone know what the actual rate of fire for a bolter is? I always think it is semi auto with burst fire but i have read once of it going full auto in the night lords omnibus

Old Man78 08-17-14 07:45 PM

Well the A.A 12 shotgun has a rate of fire of 300 rounds a minute, it is 12 gauge so the calibre is just about the same as a boltgun, so I would use that figure as realistic rate of fire for a boltgun. That is of course if you like your sci fi to be far fetched but believable.

Vaz 08-17-14 08:32 PM

A Boltgun can be fired in several modes. SemiAuto, Burst (3 and 4, possibly depending on type, and I think even 2 round), and full automatic.

The rate of fire is slightly a different thing. It is how many shots you can fire in a given time, usually expressed as per minute. In todays day and age, most assault rifles fire at 600ish rounds/minute. Now, they fire 5.56mm, or 7.62 ammunition - the boltgun fires 25mm. The nearest to that in small arm terms is the XM25. Can't remember of top of my head, but it isnt very quick.

Other than that, there are several explosive shell weapons on a heavier weapon system, like the Apache's 30mm gun the M230 which is similar to assault rifles, while the RARDEN is around 90rpm, but limited to 6 (or maybe 8, been a while) at a time to conserve ammunition.

In regards to 2 shot burst, there are russian weapons which fire at nearly 1800rounds/minute, but can only fire in burst because of that action.

Authors pick and choose depending on what they desire.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Roninman 08-17-14 08:51 PM

Bolter is weapon category on its own and there has to be many different models with all kinds of rate of fire options. I doubt that Marines would be wasting ammunition going on full auto. I suspect ROF would be anywhere between 600-800 a min.

Also caliber is slightly different between normal and Marine bolters.

Garviel loken. 08-17-14 10:58 PM

huh, i dont really see the bolter as a full auto weapon. I always liked the way it was depicted in the game fire warrior, but hate how it is depicted in the game space marine

Malus Darkblade 08-18-14 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garviel loken. (Post 1856066)
huh, i dont really see the bolter as a full auto weapon.

What do you think happened at Istvaan V?

Garviel loken. 08-18-14 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade (Post 1856130)
What do you think happened at Istvaan V?

i think that alot of bolters were shooting unsuspecting marines. Doesnt mean they were full auto.

Khorne's Fist 08-18-14 10:02 AM

The storm bolter was designed as a full auto assault version, so while a bolter may be capable of full auto, it's not its primary purpose. A SMs reflexes and marksmanship married with targeting technologies in their armour mean that one placed shot should be enough for most targets. Besides, with such a small mag capacity, it would be extremely wasteful to go full auto.

I wonder how many rounds a SM would carry into action. Modern troops wear battle vests or chest rigs with anywhere from 300 to 500 rds, plus grenades and other goodies. If a SM was carrying 500 rds of .75 ammo on him, he should be dripping with bandoliers and magazines mag locked to any spare surface.

Rems 08-18-14 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist (Post 1856626)
The storm bolter was designed as a full auto assault version, so while a bolter may be capable of full auto, it's not its primary purpose. A SMs reflexes and marksmanship married with targeting technologies in their armour mean that one placed shot should be enough for most targets. Besides, with such a small mag capacity, it would be extremely wasteful to go full auto.

I wonder how many rounds a SM would carry into action. Modern troops wear battle vests or chest rigs with anywhere from 300 to 500 rds, plus grenades and other goodies. If a SM was carrying 500 rds of .75 ammo on him, he should be dripping with bandoliers and magazines mag locked to any spare surface.

Well some art does depict them with gear. (from Forgeworld's Taros book.)

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rc...08443677244591http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...ptor_Taros.jpg

Remember too though that a Space Marine missions are short and sharp. They're not slogging it out it the trenches but used in elite surgical strikes and shock assaults; they don't need to be carrying a massive amount of ammunition. Especially not when a) their methodology of waging war and equipment makes close combat perfectly viable and b) they're only every a supply drop away from fresh reserves of material. remember that the Space Marines arrive via their fleet and as such can land new supplies via thunderhawk or simply shoot them onto the surface via drop pod. Vehicles like the rhino or land raider also carry supplies.

Khorne's Fist 08-18-14 01:24 PM

That image depicts a marine with a grand total of 60 rounds. Even if the mission is short and sharp, it's usually right into the heart of an enemy position, where defenders would be most numerous. 60 rounds just isn't going to cut it. Firing on full auto they wouldn't last 30 seconds.

I know when I was going on patrols, even if they were only meant to be fairly short, I packed in as much ammo as I could, just in case resupply became difficult, as it usually does when the shit hits the fan. I'm sure SMs always prepare for the worst case scenario. Besides, certain scenarios would not allow for effective resupply from fleet elements. The fleet itself could be fighting, the mission might be subterranean, they may have teleported in.