Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Black Library Fiction (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/108-black-library-fiction/)
-   -   Iron Warriors / HH (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/black-library-fiction/161778-iron-warriors-hh.html)

Chaosveteran 07-22-14 07:38 AM

Iron Warriors / HH

When will the Iron Warriors get a real feature in the HH?? So far it was just a humiliating performance by them in Battle of Phall ... kind of beginning to think that all the traitor legions are being portrayed like headless chickens who thrown numbers at the enemy rather than strategy and tactics... sucks

ckcrawford 07-22-14 09:25 AM

I think they are pretty much done. I think Angel Exterminatus was supposed to be their great book. They were pretty brutalized in my opinion. Maybe we will see them at Terra? But as far as a novel contribution, I think they join a couple others in a disastrous finish.

Chaosveteran 07-22-14 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckcrawford (Post 1819218)
I think they are pretty much done. I think Angel Exterminatus was supposed to be their great book. They were pretty brutalized in my opinion. Maybe we will see them at Terra? But as far as a novel contribution, I think they join a couple others in a disastrous finish.

That's a real shame...Have yet to read Angel Exterminatus but one of my fav Legions and Primarchs...and all they get is a cameo in Battle of Phall where they look like incompetent fools (even with the attack lead by the Perturabo!). I think this Primarch needs at least a novella to open him up. Other Primarchs got so much more attention!

theurge33 07-22-14 10:16 AM

I think they will get some follow up. After AE, Perturabo is still left out there on his own to brood / rage etc. In my eyes he has a way to go before he falls. He still has the siege engines for terra.

Unlike many others, I liked the portrayal of Perturabo in both phall and AE. AE went into his psyche in depth and in Phall, it was more of a snap shot of a him as a primarch at war (stern, unforgiving). I also loved the iron warriors in AE. I had not read the 40k iron warriors books, so there was no complaints about re-use of characters from me.

ckcrawford 07-22-14 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaosveteran (Post 1819274)
That's a real shame...Have yet to read Angel Exterminatus but one of my fav Legions and Primarchs...and all they get is a cameo in Battle of Phall where they look like incompetent fools (even with the attack lead by the Perturabo!). I think this Primarch needs at least a novella to open him up. Other Primarchs got so much more attention!

Hey hopefully you like it, I actually wish the best for the Heresy Series. There were certain aspects of him that seemed interesting. Yet, this is post Istvaan and Phall and he seemed like a completely different character.

mal310 07-22-14 11:52 AM

Seems the IW were relegated to promoting McNeill's 40K work. AE was an abomination.

sadLor 07-22-14 12:31 PM

Over at B&C, it was mentioned that there was a big event between the events of Angel Exterminatus and Vengeful Spirit, and it will be revealed in some form...(audio, short story, novella, who knows) If you've read both, obviously you realize this is necessary as there was a huge shift in character for Perturabo.

Roninman 07-22-14 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mal310 (Post 1819458)
Seems the IW were relegated to promoting McNeill's 40K work. AE was an abomination.

Agree to this

Stephen74 07-22-14 07:04 PM

I though AE was ok. As I've said many time, McNeill is very hit and miss for me, when he embarks on descriptive writing he is awful, but when he works with characters dialogue he is excellent. AE is a fair split but I think he does a good job with Perturabo

ckcrawford 07-23-14 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mal310 (Post 1819458)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen74 (Post 1820658)
I though AE was ok. As I've said many time, McNeill is very hit and miss for me, when he embarks on descriptive writing he is awful, but when he works with characters dialogue he is excellent. AE is a fair split but I think he does a good job with Perturabo

You know, I've noticed his best work has been portraying loyalist legions even when they are the verge of corruption. I think thats what made A Thousand Sons and Fulgrim possibly his greatest works. I'm not a big fan of his portrayal of traitors. I think he paints them as black and white and doesn't really show that corrupted aspect. They aren't simply bad characters you know? They are corrupted.