Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Non-GW Book Discussion (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/176-non-gw-book-discussion/)
-   -   Joe Abercrombie (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/non-gw-book-discussion/160154-joe-abercrombie.html)

Jezlad 07-11-14 04:28 PM

Joe Abercrombie

Has anyone else read this guys novels?

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/

They're superb, I've just finished book three of the first law trilogy - one of the best series I've read yet.

Lord of the Night 07-11-14 05:03 PM

151 Attachment(s)
I have seen these books advertised on Amazon but haven't really looked at them. Will make it a point to take a look at these later.

LotN

Khorne's Fist 07-11-14 05:45 PM

He is my new favourite fantasy writer.

The characters in the first trilogy are great, Sand dan Glokta being a personal favourite. The fact that some of the lesser characters in these books get some special attention in the next three books is great as well. Loved Red Country. He manages to make it play out like a western.

Jacobite 07-12-14 09:09 AM

I read the first book of the First Law when it first came out and really enjoyed it but haven't had the time to go back read the following volumes yet. They are on the list, from what I remember he is pretty bloody good. One of the sort of new wave of fantasy authors who aren't afraid to make their worlds brutal and their writing bloody, which I think is fucking great.

Check out Brian McClellan as well, he's fucking awesome, gun powder snorting mages floating bullets and setting of powder charges for the win!

Lord of the Night 07-12-14 10:39 AM

151 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobite (Post 1802178)
One of the sort of new wave of fantasy authors who aren't afraid to make their worlds brutal and their writing bloody, which I think is fucking great.

Check out Brian McClellan as well, he's fucking awesome, gun powder snorting mages floating bullets and setting of powder charges for the win!

If that's something you like, I would recommend Andy Remic to you. He's the Quentin Tarantino of Fantasy and he too is fucking awesome. Blood-oil, clockwork vampires, iron-werewolves and elf-rats for the win!

LotN

Tawa 07-12-14 12:58 PM

Can't say as I have, but I'm always game to read something new and different :)

bobss 08-19-14 09:26 AM

Solid author and a great bloke, I've heard. One of the few who deserves the hype these days.

Wouldn't put him in the same tier as Martin, Erikson or Hobb, but he's still a fantasy gem for us Brits.

Lanky27 08-19-14 11:04 AM

David gemmel is brilliant and Brandon Sanderson.

Khorne's Fist 08-19-14 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobss (Post 1858082)
Wouldn't put him in the same tier as Martin, Erikson or Hobb, but he's still a fantasy gem for us Brits.

I wouldn't really compare them. Those writers are all about the sweeping epics that reach the many thousands of pages, whereas Abercrombie is a bit of a throw back to the likes of Gemmel, in that while the stories are linked, you could pick one up and enjoy it as a stand alone, rather than having to immerse yourself in a series that will consume years of your life. That is where the big void is in fantasy fiction since Gemmell's death. Everything is at least a trilogy nowadays.

Loki1416 08-26-16 08:43 PM

Just finished that trilogy a few days ago. Wasn't that bad to be honest.