Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   How would a whole legion do take on all of commorragh? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/153217-how-would-whole-legion-do-take-all-commorragh.html)

kwak76 05-12-14 03:49 AM

How would a whole legion do take on all of commorragh?

Would a primarch and a whole legion be able to take out the dark eldars if they found a webway portal into commorragh ?

I mean from reading the raid on Commorragh in lexicanum it was just the Salamenders that did allot of damage.

Haskanael 05-12-14 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwak76 (Post 1719905)
Would a primarch and a whole legion be able to take out the dark eldars if they found a webway portal into commorragh ?

I mean from reading the raid on Commorragh in lexicanum it was just the Salamenders that did allot of damage.

I honestly think, that an entire legion attacking commorragh directly would have devastating effects on Commoragh and the dark eldar. just imagine Horus and his legion, or for example the Imperial fists or Ultramarines as a legion with primarch and all entering the webway and comming out over commoragh and unleashing all hell. I think it might actualy end up becoming a cull.

Brobaddon 05-12-14 09:02 AM

Depends, really... The problem with Commorragh is its size and population. While the Dark city itself may be large as an entire planet, there's probably hundreds of milions of DE in it, if not billions. Not counting xeno mercenaries and so on.

DE can also close off and isolate portions of Commorragh... so it's questionable if a legion would be able to effectively hunt them all down and kill....

Ofc, that doesn't means a legion wouldn't stand a chance, it's afterall at least 100,000 marines we are talking about.

Even if Imperium managed to defeat most of Commorragh, I guess the remaining DE would flee. Eldar aren't really known for static wars and last stands.

Serpion5 05-12-14 10:05 AM

I think the initial damage will be the telling factor. If the astartes can strike a critical section of the city early, they may be able to deal crippling damage to the key resources and cohesion of the dark eldar forces.

If they hit what is ultimately an expendable node of Commoragh, chances are the DE will gradually be able to turn the tide.

Moriouce 05-12-14 10:07 AM

I think it would spell the end of commorragh. But remember that commorragh ain't the only city of the DE. So it would by no means spell the end of the DE.

effigy22 05-12-14 10:29 AM

I don't think they would be successful at all. They will do a huge amount of damage but will most likely take crippling damage themselves.

I think the main things here it wouldn't be just the dark eldar. If it was a full blown extermination I sincerely believe the Craftworlds would get involved and not just them but the Harlequins as well. Now they are facing 3 "worlds" military.

That and as previously stated the "nodes" can be cut off from each other and nothing spoils a legions day than being isolated in an area when a black hole is opened up.

Serpion5 05-12-14 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by effigy22 (Post 1720233)
I think the main things here it wouldn't be just the dark eldar. If it was a full blown extermination I sincerely believe the Craftworlds would get involved and not just them but the Harlequins as well. Now they are facing 3 "worlds" military.

I actually hadn't considered this. I'm not so sure craftworlders or exodites wold get involved, but the Harlequins certainly would. I suppose it is quite possible that the Harlequins might pressure other sects of the eldar into lending an assist.

effigy22 05-12-14 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpion5 (Post 1720241)
I actually hadn't considered this. I'm not so sure craftworlders or exodites wold get involved, but the Harlequins certainly would. I suppose it is quite possible that the Harlequins might pressure other sects of the eldar into lending an assist.

As much as the DE and CWE don't get along they both share a common cause of "Survival" - the DE would not (imo) ask for help but as you said, Harlies would and the CWE no better than to refuse a Harlequin.

Exodites however, I don't believe they would what so ever, I think of them as Imperial PDF. Not really equipped to fight and tend to be the fluff whipping boy (along side Avatars).

Rems 05-12-14 01:08 PM

The concentrated force of an entire legion is a force which can end entire species and civilizations. (As per Forgeworld's Heresy books).

So yes, a legion with all its assets and personnel could eliminate Commarragh.

hailene 05-12-14 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rems (Post 1720337)
The concentrated force of an entire legion is a force which can end entire species and civilizations.

Not all civilizations are made equal, though. Modern Earth's military doesn't hold a candle to what the Dark Eldar could bring to bear.

That being said, I think the Legion and Primarch would crush the Dark Eldar.