Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Astral Claws Questions (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/152449-astral-claws-questions.html)

DeathGlam 05-05-14 02:40 PM

Astral Claws Questions

I originally planned to start Aurora Chapter marines but the last few days i have fallen in love with the Astral Claws, i love the scheme and i love the idea of playing a loyalist chapter soon to have a tragic end.

On to my questions first is fairly basic, i noticed that Lexicanum shows the lion's head as the chapter symbol yet the Forgeworld sculpted pads and tank doors all have the claw symbol?

Am i right in that the claw symbol is to be used if your playing them at the start of going full renegade or could i use it for any Astral Claws force?

The reason i ask is that i prefer the idea of playing them with the regular Marines codex rather then the Tyrants Legion list as that lacks some of my favourite miniatures from the regular Marines choice but if anyone wishes to sway me either way on which list to follow then id be keen to hear opinion.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

MidnightSun 05-05-14 03:03 PM

317 Attachment(s)
The Lion's Head is their original heraldry. They switched to the claw holding the star (Huron's personal heraldry) at the beginning/just before the Badab War. I'd say you can use whichever one you prefer - not many people would pick up on it, and they were still using the loyalist structure when they switched to the claw symbol.

I'd recommend using the Space Marines codex, and if you're wanting to be really fluffy with them then use the Forge World Chapter Tactic for them (Stubborn, may not choose to fail any Morale Checks, all Bikes get Skilled Rider and all Fast Skimmers get Scout) and maybe one of their special characters.

DeathGlam 05-05-14 04:31 PM

Thanks, that is what i hoped to hear, as i prefer the claw symbol and would prefer to use the regular marine codex to, with the Astral Claws chapter tactics, thanks for that tip.

Nice bonus is the four special characters forge world have rules for to, although i will be creating at least one captain of my own, since i plan to make this a project that spawns in to an additional Red Corsairs force lead by the same captain in both armies.

morfangdakka 05-05-14 06:27 PM

I agree with Midnight you should do which ever symbol you prefer. I would use the loyalist codex as well since you want to do the army before they were bad guys. If it was me I would even throw in a few guys done up in Tiger Claw armour but with the Astral Claw chapter symbol as a nod to the chapter they is rumored to have caused them to turn to chaos.

DeathGlam 05-05-14 09:36 PM

Cheers again guys, i do have another question, does anybody know if an official source exists for how the Astral Claws show the company, is it the shoulder pad trim like Ultramarines and others?

Fallen 05-06-14 04:45 AM

I would assume that they follow the codex astartes regarding company designations.

DeathGlam 05-06-14 04:37 PM

Im stuck with a dilemma now, as i like the gold trim but that would mean 2nd company, which already has the last captain named with rules, which would negate my idea of having the same company lead my planned Astral Claws and future Red Corsairs army.

King Gary 05-06-14 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathGlam (Post 1712041)
Im stuck with a dilemma now, as i like the gold trim but that would mean 2nd company, which already has the last captain named with rules, which would negate my idea of having the same company lead my planned Astral Claws and future Red Corsairs army.

I don't know if there are any details of how the corruption spread through the chapter anywhere, but maby your (invinted captain) was corrupted earlier than the second company's captain. Then, as part of the chaos gods' plan for turning the whole chapter your captain either 1) covertly took command of some of the second company or 2) re-painted some of the marines under his command to look like the second company thus focring the Second company captain to take responsibillity for his actions and thus leading him down the path of corruption? Then your collection and the games you fight are those actions

Bit of a crowbar move, but it's not as if dressing your soldiers differently or just messing around with uniforms hasn't actually happened. Look at what's supposedly happening in Ukrane right now!

DeathGlam 05-06-14 05:11 PM

Cheers for the idea, im liking the thought of Black on the trim to, so I might just go with the 5th Company, leaves me more room for creative freedom.

DeathGlam 05-09-14 09:08 PM

Just an idea but does anybody think the army might look good, if i used the Lions head symbol for the regular marines and used the Tyrants Claw symbol for the the various 1st company units?

It is just a thought but not sure myself about it.