Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Project Logs (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/35-project-logs/)
-   -   Coronan 51st Grenadiers Regiment (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/project-logs/150242-coronan-51st-grenadiers-regiment.html)

alex_mac47 04-23-14 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobite (Post 1689706)
Loving the whip aeriel and the extra armor on the turret, nice work on the internal details as well, how easy is that going to be to paint?

I am thinking not very. I have left the crew doors separate at this stage for that very reason hoping to give me more access. However, you raise a good point for next time!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza (Post 1690162)
Looking great, i don't think i have the patience to do the extra details in the interior like you have done. maybe i'll go back to my shadowsword once i'm back home to see if i can come up with some detailing that would add more character to it.

Strongly encourage it. I really enjoyed doing it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by torealis (Post 1690362)
A) love the way you've edited the pictures together, very cool.

B) have you considered more stowage? Tamiya do some awesome stuff that I've been covering my tanks in.

Thanks. What tamiya stowage are you referring to? I have only seen the refuel kits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonofVulkan (Post 1690402)
Thats a lot of infantry to paint. Looking good so far, some very nice conversions.

Yes, indeed it is! And with the paint scheme I have chosen I can see it taking some time! I am very hesitant to open the other 40+ still in boxes as I think that would break the painting camels back!

alex_mac47 05-01-14 10:56 AM

1st Platoon Painting WIP

Evening all,
Thought I would post a quick update on 1st Platoon's paint job.

I have 7 of one section completed and the remaining 13 still in stages of WIP. My painting process is as follows:
  • Undercoat Chaos Black
  • Tunic Adeptus Battlegrey
  • Codex Grey bunny camo layer
  • Spacewolf Grey bunny camo layer
  • Badab wash tunic (light-medium coat)
  • Fortress grey drybrush tunic
  • Bleached bone on armour and rifle
  • Chainmail on metal components (I have also tried drybrushing as the last step)
  • Badab wash whole model (light-medium coat. Less on tunic if heavier in initial wash)
  • Tallarn flesh on skin
  • Ogryn flesh wash on skin
  • Tallarn flesh highlight on skin
  • Codex grey on eagles
  • Kommando khaki highlights on armour and rifle

http://i.imgur.com/XDPio3U.jpg

Layering the bleached bone takes 2-3 thin coats for a nice finish - time consuming and frustrating given the 80 odd infantry still to go. I am starting to consider airbrushing the Adeptus Battlegrey to cut down on time and give a lighter base colour for the bleached bone/skin tones - hopefully cutting down on numbers of coats. I am also considering moving to Vallejo paints for a closer match to my older GW paints and a thinner finish (makes the bleached bone stage easier!). Thoughts/comments/experiences?

torealis 05-01-14 07:01 PM

Iraqiel 05-02-14 12:49 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Dheneb stone/Ushabti bone is a high pigment base that works really well to undercoat for bleached bone, which may help.

alex_mac47 05-02-14 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iraqiel (Post 1705161)
Dheneb stone/Ushabti bone is a high pigment base that works really well to undercoat for bleached bone, which may help.

Thanks Iraqiel. Have you found the Ushabti bone needs to be thinned for an even/not claggy coat?

Iraqiel 05-02-14 08:53 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I use a wet pallette so my paint is usually thinned incrementally without my deliberate action. some medium would certainly make it more even if it comes out of the pot though... maybe 1:5 medium to paint to just give it more flow.

alex_mac47 05-02-14 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torealis (Post 1704433)

Thanks Torealis. Have you had any particular positive/negative experiences with any of the kits?

torealis 05-03-14 12:40 AM

All positive. Take a look at my plog, the last post I made has my tanks, most of the stowage is Tamiya stuff

Iraqiel 08-09-14 05:39 PM

6 Attachment(s)
How goes progress, sonof47?

I'm doing a small, hard new company as my airmobile combat team. Played two games, lost one due to Cypher's fountain of points (was just using him for fun) and the second I won with a turn six break away - five flyer list at 2000 points, wasn't very strong on the ground but managed to divert enough fire power away to live. My biggest takeaway from these games - Bullgryns are amazing and you want 5.

alex_mac47 08-24-14 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iraqiel (Post 1845050)
How goes progress, sonof47?

I'm doing a small, hard new company as my airmobile combat team. Played two games, lost one due to Cypher's fountain of points (was just using him for fun) and the second I won with a turn six break away - five flyer list at 2000 points, wasn't very strong on the ground but managed to divert enough fire power away to live. My biggest takeaway from these games - Bullgryns are amazing and you want 5.

Greetings Iraqiel!

ALAS! I have been on a war gaming break again unfortunately. I hope to be restarting my addiction next weekend when another major project ends.

Bullgryn noted - I love the models so am trying to integrate them into my fluff - and then get some into the army.

However, my current focus is:
  • Get enough infantry painted to get some games going again
  • Finalise my 3x chimera (mobility section)
  • Redo my list with the new rules (I dare say it won't overly change my actual composition based on fluff but will make the game play army different - eg: No Sgt Bastonne etc)