Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Imperial Guard Name change feelings? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/148554-imperial-guard-name-change-feelings.html)

bitsandkits 04-04-14 12:51 PM

Imperial Guard Name change feelings?

I got to wondering how people were feeling about the changes to names of Imperial Guard(now Astra Militarum) and the Militarum Tempestus, and looking at the leaks from WD11 they are also giving low gothic titles to commissars and other units, plus a few months ago we had a name change to the Sisters of Battle (now adepta Sororitas). Given the Issues GW has had protecting its IP in recent times i supposes something had to give, so it maybe likley that we see the term space marine fade and GW start using Adeptus Astartes instead?

Anyway, thats just me speculating, but how do you feel about the change? will you use the new term? do you use imperial guard anyway? or do you refer to them as Cadians/catachans etc?

personally i welcome the change, i have never really liked the term "imperial guard", much prefer "imperial army" but even then i never really liked the simplistic nature of some of the army names, space marines,imperial guard,sisters of battle all sounded a little childish even back when i was a child,the name Sisters of battle totally put me off the army when it launched,well that and john blanches artwork, anyway i like the idea of GW using more high and low goth terms for the game and would like to see more of it, i used to really enjoy seeing and reading things like Eldar translations and terms in the fluff and would happily like to see more even if its just gothic imperial terms.

So how do you feel about it all?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Serpion5 04-04-14 12:58 PM

I think it's a good change, moving away from the sort of names a 12 year old would use for official source material will only make it read better.

Moriouce 04-04-14 01:21 PM

I think it sounds much more mature and I hope this continues onto Space Marines and other imperial forces.

Mossy Toes 04-04-14 02:48 PM

I don't think it's necessary, but I think usage will gradually shift over a few years towards it.

I just hope they justify it with making the next Codex: Space Marines instead be Codex: Adeptus Astartes. I mean, with Adepta Sororitas rather than Sisters of Battle, and Astra Militarum rather than Imperial Guard... their excuses for not switching Space Marines over are beginning to run a trifle thin. If they embrace the gothis pseudo-latin wholeheartedly rather than a bit here and there, though I'll accept Astra Militarum more quickly, I think.

The Irish Commissar 04-04-14 07:14 PM

I dont no about you lads but i get enough latin at mass never mind in 40k. I'm still going to call them imperial guard. Mind you its not the worse name in the world.

HokieHWT 04-04-14 07:43 PM

I don't mind the change but will still be calling them IG, then I can tell new players the story of how GW changed the name and the world erupted....

ntaw 04-04-14 08:20 PM

Anything that helps them write fluff that doesn't read like it was written by kids is fine by me. I just got into IG and literally gave up on reading anything but the rules of the 'dex after a few entries.

Astra Militarum sounds a lot cooler than Imperial Guard to me, just like Adeptus Astartes sounds cooler than Space Marine.

Words_of_Truth 04-04-14 08:36 PM

I dunno they ain't working for me, I know it adds to their fluff but..how can I describe it..it makes them seem less tough and rough.

HokieHWT 04-04-14 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth (Post 1660602)
I dunno they ain't working for me, I know it adds to their fluff but..how can I describe it..it makes them seem less tough and rough.

Now THOSE are some WORDS OF TRUTH!

Moriouce 04-04-14 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth (Post 1660602)

I don't agree. If you know what kind of universe they fight in they could be namned whatever. You still understand they are some tough nuts to crack.