Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Malcador hiding Titan? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/142761-malcador-hiding-titan.html)

GiftofChaos1234 02-20-14 09:06 AM

Malcador hiding Titan?

So I'm curious, when the forces of chaos entered the Sol System during the Heresy. How did they not notice that one of the biggest moons in the solar system had disappeared? I mean did Horus just say "Oh, looks like dad lost a world again. It's a good thing I'm going to take control."

But seriously though, what do you guys think happened? Did they simply not care?

Haskanael 02-20-14 09:21 AM

it is noticable already during the events in the Isstvan campaign that Horus himself enters a bit a of a tunnel vision, he is starting to miss little details, and for example fails to predict that Angron would personaly fly down to take on his legions stragglers on the surface.

asside from that, they probably made a direct push for Terra as soon as they entered the Sol system, all focus and attention was on Terra itself, and most likely on Mars. compared to those 2 most likely heavely fortified planets, and the militarized Luna, I doubt they paid much attention to the other planets.
especialy an uninhabitted gas giant.
tho I dont know for sure if any of the moons besides Luna have ever been propperly colonised.

on another note as I mentioned. Saturn is a gas giant, wich probably means that any attempts at sensor scanning anywhere near the planet, would be interfered by radiation of different kinds

Child-of-the-Emperor 02-20-14 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiftofChaos1234 (Post 1581649)
But seriously though, what do you guys think happened? Did they simply not care?

What could they have done? Their focus was Terra and the Emperor. I can't imagine they would have paid it too much attention. It didn't play a part in the Siege whatsoever anyway, so their decision to ignore it was vindicated.

Brother Lucian 02-20-14 09:48 AM

One could wonder about Horus starting to miss the little detail, is the chaos gods affecting him to ensure that he will lose in the end to ensure the comming dark age of the Imperium after he have crippled the Emperor.

Reaper45 02-20-14 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Lucian (Post 1581713)
One could wonder about Horus starting to miss the little detail, is the chaos gods affecting him to ensure that he will lose in the end to ensure the comming dark age of the Imperium after he have crippled the Emperor.

Horus always missed details. It seems like it's his character flaw, he's a great military mind and political leader but blatantly obvious things are missed for strange reasons.

He missed erebus manipulating him.
That entire thing with the interex happened because he messed up the one crucial thing that happens in all negations.
Since we don't have allot before the heresy those are the two things that really stand out.

Brother Lucian 02-20-14 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45 (Post 1581745)
Horus always missed details. It seems like it's his character flaw, he's a great military mind and political leader but blatantly obvious things are missed for strange reasons.

He missed erebus manipulating him.
That entire thing with the interex happened because he messed up the one crucial thing that happens in all negations.
Since we don't have allot before the heresy those are the two things that really stand out.

You might be right there. Whereas Guiliman is completely obsessed with details. Its little wonder Horus chafed at being Warmaster, all the details and minutiae of the post frustrating him.

Uveron 02-20-14 01:40 PM

Also depending on how they entered Sol, the moon could have been on the far side of the sun, so it was a long way from Terra.

Over Two Meters Tall! 02-20-14 04:23 PM

From what I've heard, Malcador hides Titan in the Warp, right? So the effect of the other celestial bodies in the solar system shouldn't make a difference to an awareness of Titan being in normal space or not. I think the OP is right to wonder how, as the Chaos fleet nears Sol in the Warp, there's a moon just sitting there all sigiled-out or the mother of all Gellar fields. I think it's been pretty well established there is geographic proximity between the Warp and Reality, in general terms. So how does anyone in the Heretic's fleet miss Titan, or one of the Chaos United gods tap Horus on the shoulder and say, "um, you may not have noticed..."?

Tawa 02-20-14 04:57 PM

Reading the thread title just gave me the image of Malc stood in front of a Warhound going "There's no titan's here!"

Brother Lucian 02-20-14 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawa (Post 1582385)
Reading the thread title just gave me the image of Malc stood in front of a Warhound going "There's no titan's here!"

Nah, you need to add some handwavium and sprout, "These are not the titans you are looking for." :grin: