Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Seeking all chainaxes, help needed (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/141089-seeking-all-chainaxes-help-needed.html)

venomlust 02-09-14 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitsandkits (Post 1564017)
Thats not a great tutorial for casting, there are better ones on you tube, I like the liquid blu stuff though.

It's more the ease of using the product that blew my mind. So much easier than the molding materials I was messing around with before.

Not sure what shape I would use to contain the mold of a chainaxe. Something shallow and flat, I suppose, that allows me to suspend the axe halfway up in the solution.

Stormxlr 02-09-14 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venomlust (Post 1564121)
It's more the ease of using the product that blew my mind. So much easier than the molding materials I was messing around with before.

Not sure what shape I would use to contain the mold of a chainaxe. Something shallow and flat, I suppose, that allows me to suspend the axe halfway up in the solution.

Press molding axes would be easier, use square basses for fantasy cavalry or those oval ones for bikes. use something like ball bearings to align them easily, profit?

venomlust 02-09-14 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormxlr (Post 1564137)
Press molding axes would be easier, use square basses for fantasy cavalry or those oval ones for bikes. use something like ball bearings to align them easily, profit?

The press molding is the part I didn't like with my other molding materials, but to be fair I only tried it once and didn't use a container for the mold, so the results weren't particularly good.

I found the blu-stuff website. Shipping from the U.K. is quite a bit, but still not totally ludicrous. 30 bucks for the products used in that video. I'm trying to do better, but finding similar products on Amazon for around the same price. This is definitely something I want to mess around with!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

Also $30 shipped. I believe you get much more of the stuff here. 200 ml Blu-Stuff vs. 2.8 pounds of this stuff. This does take much longer to cure, though (6 hours).

Stormxlr 02-10-14 12:31 AM

Try to find something that's not directed at a target group, otherwise those are almost always more expensive.

Look up stuff on ebay rather than Amazon, maybe something that's not branded but is basically the same thing.
I saw green stuff for 2.5 pounds on ebay for a big strip.

On the net I saw 2 700ml bottles that make a resin cast for 70 bucks. try to look that up can't remember the name though it was a casting set on some site

venomlust 02-10-14 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormxlr (Post 1564177)
Try to find something that's not directed at a target group, otherwise those are almost always more expensive.

Look up stuff on ebay rather than Amazon, maybe something that's not branded but is basically the same thing.
I saw green stuff for 2.5 pounds on ebay for a big strip.

On the net I saw 2 700ml bottles that make a resin cast for 70 bucks. try to look that up can't remember the name though it was a casting set on some site

Yeah I'm definitely seeing that buying in bulk is the way to go. Now the question is: which chemical mixture matches blu-stuff? Or work well enough, anyway. I don't mind waiting longer to cure as long as it works.

Serpion5 02-10-14 06:17 AM

If you want to make a press mold of something you've scratch built, that's fine. However please remember that talk of molding other companies' products puts the forum on a legal spot, so I will have to ask that you avoid that specific topic please.

bitsandkits 02-10-14 08:22 AM

this will sound like a very self promoting post but hey, mold making and casting resin tends to be expensive and isnt always great a producing good results, manufactures have vacum chambers to remove air bubbles and get great casts, plus they know the resin they are using will work for what they need,resins come in loads of different formulas and tend not to be aimed at people producing very highly minute details so investigation is key, im not saying it isnt possible to home cast resin well, im saying it might just be cheaper and less hassle to buy the bits you want from a bitz vendor direct and save yourself the hassle.

also you have missed quite a few chain weapons that might work such as ork nob chain choppaz which are larger and far more brutal looking than the poxy marine ones.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

venomlust 02-10-14 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpion5 (Post 1564425)
If you want to make a press mold of something you've scratch built, that's fine. However please remember that talk of molding other companies' products puts the forum on a legal spot, so I will have to ask that you avoid that specific topic please.

No problem.



As for kitbashing vs. casting, I want to at least take a shot at building something myself before buying the bits. I plan to buy the Sons of Horus Reavers eventually, so if my attempts at casting turn to shit I'll get the axes I like best anyhow.

I definitely help keep bits stores in business with all the little pieces I buy. It's something of an addiction, the way a hoarder may buy stuff from a thrift store claiming that the deals are too good to pass up. "Saving your way into the poor house," my buddy calls it. :grin:

venomlust 02-10-14 01:58 PM

Thanks for the Ork tip. Here they are:

http://www.hoardobits.com/40k/orc/ORK-NOBZ-CHOPPAS.jpg

I really like them as they are, but I think they're slightly too primitive and ramshackle for a high quality weapon used by an elite unit. Then again, we're talking about madman butchers, not black ops sharpshooters. Hmm, I'll do some thinking.

In the end, if I do buy the weapons, I think GW/FW have the best options. The 3rd party stuff (Puppet) is conceptually cool but looks too fragile for my taste.

venomlust 02-10-14 06:37 PM

I've fiddled around with MSPaint (still need to get adobe suite on this computer) to create an axe I think I'd be happy with.

This is just the Cataphractii axe modified.

Due to the enhanced strength of an Astartes + Angry Khornate Strength, the Skullcrushers can wield these one-handed, hacking away as their juggernauts smash through enemy squads.

Which do you like best? I think 1, 4, & 9 are my favorites.

1.)

http://i.imgur.com/rec3fOT.jpg

2.)

http://i.imgur.com/XoQvvv4.jpg

3.)

http://i.imgur.com/lrLsko5.jpg

4.)

http://i.imgur.com/jNuXhnQ.jpg

5.)

http://i.imgur.com/iEzsLEK.jpg

6.)

http://i.imgur.com/BCMpZN4.jpg

7.)

http://i.imgur.com/hFl90Qu.jpg

8.)

http://i.imgur.com/QYE4Jyo.jpg

9.)

http://i.imgur.com/Nyhke2X.jpg

Source:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/FORGEWORLD-CA...SfQ~~60_35.JPG


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 AM.

Powered by the Emperor of Man.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome