Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Tyranid Army Lists (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/141-tyranid-army-lists/)
-   -   New Nid list to 1850 (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/tyranid-army-lists/140657-new-nid-list-1850-a.html)

KnockOut51 02-06-14 08:18 PM

also what is a must have nid unit? like swarm lord is something I really want but how is the Haruspex / Exocrine? havent heard any opinions on them

A.O.D. 02-06-14 08:28 PM

will need some type of synapse, which could be zoanthropes. but the warriors you will find may get knock out way to quick. So you may want to think about that.... as far as how many venoms 2 would be good i do believe....anyone else may chime in here

lockeF 02-06-14 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnockOut51 (Post 1556969)
So I am a new Nid player, Mostly play with my Necrons and Here is my first attempt at a Nid list.
So here is my list

HQ:
Deathleaper 130pts If you like him, go for it, but I'm completely unsure how useful he is
Troops:
3 Warriors, 1 venom Cannon 10pts , 1 death spitter 5pts, 1 pair of bone swords 15pts = 120pts I would consider not having such a mixed up squad. Bone swords are nice but only good if the unit is in CC, which means they should be running to get there. So you should probably drop the boneswords in favor of a 2nd death spitter. I also find the barbed strangler better on warriors than the venom cannon.
20 Termagants, Devourers, Toxin sacs=200 I would drop the toxin sacs on both of these and use them mainly for shooting. Toxin sacs only work in CC and this unit shouldn't be charging too many things that survive a few rounds of 60 shots
20 Termagants, Devourers, Toxin sacs=200
20 Hormagaunts, adrenal glands= 140 As stated by others, you should probably have toxin here. Adrenal is good when paired with toxin on hormagaunts, but not so great alone. Plus they already have fleet so you're only gaining the STR bonus, which compared to toxin sacs will only help against vehicles
20 Hormagaunts, adrenal glands= 140
4 Ripper swarms, Spinefists, deep strike= 70 I would drop completely. They are not going to help much with those spinefists and they should definitely not be deepstriking in this list. They, besides maybe the deathleaper, are the only units who can be apart from the rest of the army and are not really a threat
Fast attack:
10 Gargoyle, Toxin sacs= 80 I would bump this up to maybe 15 to 20 gargoyles. 10 will never make it, 20 might be too much. It is what I run and as far as presenting multiple threats, it does the trick. Again, not sure if toxin is worth it here.
Heavy:
1 Carnifex, 1 Heavy Venom Cannon 20pts, Regeneration 30pts, Bone mace 15pts= 185 I prefer dual devourers here, but Venom Cannon is solid. Not sure if the bone mace is a good investment as it will be slow to hit combat since it will be shooting that cannon. I would go kitted out for CC all the way or not at all - right now its like the warriors and trying to do too much. Regen is also a waste here. With only 4 wounds, it will most likely be killed before it can regen much. I personally only consider regen on valuable units, 6 wound units, or a brood of fexes where you can take advantage of wound allocation shenanigans

Total 1265

So my thoughts are in Blue.

All that being said, to add to your list I would second the use of venomthropes and zoanthropes (for their psychic potential as well as you need synapse). If I was playing you at 1250, I would focus my STR 8 weapons on those warriors and watch your army fall apart before they even make it to CC. Forcing moral along the way, which the homragaunts and termagants would most likely fail.

All the other suggestions added seem pretty good as well. Since you're already running so many termagants, you could easily bump a brood up to 30 and take a troop tervigon. Which, provides a tough scoring unit as well as the much needed synapse.

I would consider a 2nd squad of 15 gargoyles for more threats that are quick. With a flyrant for your warlord. It is tough, maneuverable, and deadly. Again, it adds synapse.

At 1750 I have been running 5 sources of synapse and have lost at least 3 in all my games. So at 1850, I would suggest trying to find a way to have at least 5 sources. Warriors are your first source, a tervigon makes an excellent 2nd source for this list.

KnockOut51 02-06-14 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockeF (Post 1558857)
So my thoughts are in Blue.

All that being said, to add to your list I would second the use of venomthropes and zoanthropes (for their psychic potential as well as you need synapse). If I was playing you at 1250, I would focus my STR 8 weapons on those warriors and watch your army fall apart before they even make it to CC. Forcing moral along the way, which the homragaunts and termagants would most likely fail.

All the other suggestions added seem pretty good as well. Since you're already running so many termagants, you could easily bump a brood up to 30 and take a troop tervigon. Which, provides a tough scoring unit as well as the much needed synapse.

I would consider a 2nd squad of 15 gargoyles for more threats that are quick. With a flyrant for your warlord. It is tough, maneuverable, and deadly. Again, it adds synapse.

At 1750 I have been running 5 sources of synapse and have lost at least 3 in all my games. So at 1850, I would suggest trying to find a way to have at least 5 sources. Warriors are your first source, a tervigon makes an excellent 2nd source for this list.

Thank you for the amazing feedback! My first game will most likely be Friday against my buddy who plays chaos space marines and loves plague marines and loves daemons so should be interesting, I'm picking up another unit today and I'm torren between the trygon prime or the tervigon for this weekends game.

KnockOut51 02-08-14 05:52 PM

okay so i played my first game as nids yesterday and here is my list and I will tell you guys how it went.

HQ:
Tervigon, acid blood, Regen, Electroshock grubs= 250

Troops:
3 Warriors Venom cannon, 2x talons= 100
5 Ripper swarm, spine fists=85
16 Termagant, Devourer=160
20 Termagant, Devourer=200
20 Hormagaunt, Adrenal Glands, Toxin sacs=200
20 Hormagaunt, Adrenal Glands, Toxin sacs=200
Elites
3 Venomthrope's
Fast attack
10 Gargoyle Brood
Heavy
Carnifex, acid blood, regen, Heavy Venom cannon= 185
Total 1575

So i went off agaisnt my buddy who is a CSM guy who loves Deamons and I was worried about this.
He brought
typhus
30 zombies
10 Marines
10 Plague marines
1 Rhino with missle launcer and combie bolter
1 Heldrake
I think 5 flesh hounds with some leader deamon
and 20 blood letters with skull taker.

At first I was very worried about the game cause I didn't have a single thing to hit the flyer with but thanks to bad reinforcement rolls the Heldrake didn't come in till the end of the game. His zombies assulted my Hormagaunts first but thanks to being close to my warlord I got counter attack and I also hit him first, my 20 guys killed all the zombies but took 3 turns so they were tied up all game. The shooting from my warriors and Carifex actually killed 2 plague marines right off the bat. Then once my termigaunts got in close I pretty much whipped put all his marines in one round of shooting thanks to the assault 3 weapons. Then my Hormagaunts charged the lone typhus with my ripper swarms and finally killed him after 3 rounds of combat. I ALMOST killed everything in turn 3 but his warlord and rhino lasted another turn and finally his reinforcements came on the board. Soon as the heldrake came on he killed handful of units. he deep striked behind my army so basically when it was my turn I just turned around and shoot him to bits as he got closer, finally his last unit was Skull taker who charged my HQ and killed my Tervigon in the first round of combat thanks to my guy not having eternal warrior...

Over all I was very pleased how my army worked and liked the 5+ cover the Venoms gave me, but future games I need something that can shoot at the Flyers of other armies and how can I counter a single guy killing my best unit in one attack?

tricktroller 02-11-14 07:33 PM

I've never really been a big fan or gargoyles or rippers. How did they perform?

KnockOut51 02-12-14 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricktroller (Post 1567153)
I've never really been a big fan or gargoyles or rippers. How did they perform?

the gargoyles didnt do anything, had nothing to shoot at, for the rippers thet did much better then I expected, I took 5 with Spinefists and shooting they actually killed 1 marine and have a wound to his warlord, they also slowed him in combat and eventually killed him.

tricktroller 02-12-14 04:00 PM

Nice! Yeah I would totally dump the gargoyles and use their points elsewhere. As far as the rippers go, if you like them keep taking them.

KnockOut51 02-14-14 05:21 AM

So I need help against flyers, have any ideas?

Jaguar 02-14-14 09:36 AM

Flying Hive Tyrants with Devourers could choose to shoot normally against other flyers.

Hive Crone has anti-air seeker missiles which seems like they would work decently against any flyer... You could also upgrade it to have stinger salvos for 4 Str 5 attacks as well.

Dakkafexes could be used for anti-air. The TL really helps there.

you could give your Terrmagants devourers and hope for double 6's.... unlikely but a chance on rear armor.

and lastly you could take the ADL with a Quad Ion Turret.