Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Tyranid Army Lists (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/141-tyranid-army-lists/)
-   -   New Nid list to 1850 (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/tyranid-army-lists/140657-new-nid-list-1850-a.html)

KnockOut51 02-05-14 07:10 PM

New Nid list to 1850

So I am a new Nid player, Mostly play with my Necrons and Here is my first attempt at a Nid list.
So here is my list

HQ:
Deathleaper 130pts
Troops:
3 Warriors, 1 venom Cannon 10pts , 1 death spitter 5pts, 1 pair of bone swords 15pts = 120pts
20 Termagants, Devourers, Toxin sacs=200
20 Hormagaunts, adrenal glands= 140
4 Ripper swarms, Spinefists, deep strike= 70
Fast attack:
10 Gargoyle, Toxin sacs= 80
Heavy:
1 Carnifex, 1 Heavy Venom Cannon 20pts, Regeneration 30pts, Bone mace 15pts= 185

Total 1265
Im looking to pick up some more units to reach 1850 but dont know what I should take, Im interested in Mawloc to hit the enemies rear units, and maybe another Carnifex. Aslo Have a feeling I need a much better HQ. Reason why I have so many troop choices is if they choose to waste shooting at my horde, fine let them, saves my big units, if they dont that fine as well, a unit carrying assault 3 weapons is nasty. Basically Im trying to have that right mix where my opponent isn't sure what he should focus on.

A.O.D. 02-05-14 07:30 PM

What all do you have as for as models?

KnockOut51 02-05-14 07:54 PM

That is everything I have, just looking to add to what I have now

SoL Berzerker 02-05-14 08:36 PM

So what you are going to want to add is monsters and synapse. A Tervigon and a Hive Tyrant are great places to start with that. If you get the Tyrant, take wings. If you get the Tervigon, invest in making him a troop choice. Trygon Primes are also a great way to get some synapse but at the same time not sacrifice assault power.

What I mean by that, is if you take a Tervigon and roll doubles on your first turn, he is borderline useless. Can't do a whole lot in combat, but he can supply synapse. Now with the Trygon Prime, you get the same synapse, you can Deep Strike that synapse, and if you position him right, he can run in and do some heavy damage. Give him regeneration and you have a big mean bug ready to dish out some pain. Quite hefty in points, but he can pull his weight.

I would not recommend another Carnifex. You would be better served with a Harpy or Crone. A few extra points, but they will definitely take shots away from your swarm as they march up the field.

Since you have a large horde, Venomthropes will be your best friends in supplying 5+ cover to them.

Another thing you are lacking is anti-tank. You have a carnifex and he has a venom cannon, but with his crappy BS and save on 3+ he isn't too likely to fulfill the role you need him to. I would recommend Either some Hive Guard, Zoanthropes, Crone, or Harpy. A Harpy can be upgraded with the same gun as the Carnifex, but is a flying monstrous creature, and can also drop spore mines. The Crone has Haywire missiles and S8 vector strike, pretty awesome. Zoans are the best thing you can have for anti-tank if you can get them into range. Hive Guard got nerffed due to their lowered BS, but since they now straight up ignore cover they can be good if you roll half decent.

Some issues I have with your list itself. Everything is armor save 5+ outside of the Warriors and Carnifex, not good. If you want this set up you will NEED a Venomthrope or two. Lack of anti-tank, as mentioned above. Then there are the Devourers on the Termagaunts. They are great weapons, and in that many numbers they can dish out some pain, but with how easy they die it is not really worth putting that many points into them. Also, toxin sacs are a much better investment on the Hormagaunts rather than Adrenal Glands.

KnockOut51 02-06-14 12:06 AM

Okay so looks like ill get a Harpy and a trygon prime. and I guess 2 Zoanthropes and maybe 2 venoms mixed into my horde would work well.
So with a Harpy with Heavy Venom Cannon, Regen= 170pts
Trygon Prime with the norn crown= 270pts
Zoanthorpe=50pts
This brings my total list to 1755

KnockOut51 02-06-14 12:14 AM

Here is my reworked list
HQ:
Deathleaper 130pts
Troops:
3 Warriors, 1 venom Cannon 10pts = 100pts
4 Ripper swarms, Spinefists, deep strike= 70
Fast attack:
10 Gargoyles= 60
1 Harpy, Venom Cannon, Regen=170pts
Elites:
zoanthrope=50
Heavy:
1 Carnifex, 1 Heavy Venom Cannon 20pts, Regeneration 30pts, Bone mace 15pts= 185
1 Trygon Prime with the norn crown= 270pts

total= 1715

What should i add to this? another Zoanthorpe or a venom?

SoL Berzerker 02-06-14 01:36 AM

I would take the Norn Crown off of the Prime and give him Regen instead. The Norn Crown would only make him an even bigger target. Then when you consider the fact that there is a psychic power that does the exact same thing it is a pretty big waste of points. TO save even more points you could take out the one Carnifex and add in another Harpy or Crone. I understand money is an issue in making an ideal list, but Carnifexs aren't that great of a unit.

The Deathleaper is a great unit, but taking Lictors with him would help. One big issue with the Tyranids are there great Elite choices, and only being able to take three of them. Armies are generally based around their troops, but Tyranids are based on their Elites.

KnockOut51 02-06-14 11:35 AM

I dont want to lose the carnefex cause he is my one big shooter besides the harpy. was thinking of maybe throwing some Reavers into the mix, have them pop up on his side of the board and make him pick again what he wants to fire on.

A.O.D. 02-06-14 03:01 PM

Here is my Take:

HQ:
Deathleaper 130pts
Elites:
Venomthropes (this will be amazing at helping to protect your troops with shroud)
Troops:
3 Warriors, 1 venom Cannon 10pts , 1 death spitter 5pts, 1 pair of bone swords 15pts = 120pts
20 Hormagaunts, adrenal glands= 140 (add toxic Sacs)
4 Ripper swarms, Spinefists, deep strike= 70 (take out Deep Strike, you dont have synapse)
Fast attack:
Heavy:
1 Carnifex, 1 Heavy Venom Cannon 20pts, Regeneration 30pts, Bone mace 15pts= 185 (Remove)
1 Mawlock
2 Tyrannofex (adds cover for troops) (Also, if you want they have a strength 10 weapon)

This is the simplest way I could think to make your team more viable.

KnockOut51 02-06-14 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.O.D. (Post 1558273)
Here is my Take:

HQ:
Deathleaper 130pts
Elites:
Venomthropes (this will be amazing at helping to protect your troops with shroud)
Troops:
4 Ripper swarms, Spinefists, deep strike= 70 (take out Deep Strike, you dont have synapse)
Fast attack:
Heavy:
1 Carnifex, 1 Heavy Venom Cannon 20pts, Regeneration 30pts, Bone mace 15pts= 185 (Remove)
1 Mawlock
2 Tyrannofex (adds cover for troops) (Also, if you want they have a strength 10 weapon)

This is the simplest way I could think to make your team more viable.

So dont get zanos and how many venoms?