Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Entirely New Geenseed?

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Tawa 
#1 ·
I was at a GW store last week and got into an argument/discussion over his SM chapter where he was using an entirely new Geenseed. Apparently he said he took half the Geenseed(Ultramarine GS) of his SM chapter Master and half of the DNA from a very powerful HUMAN Psyker to get basically get SM that could be powerful librarians. This been on my mind since then. I mean wouldn't the human DNA/Geenseed(what ever you want to call it) be rejected or destroyed? I can't see both fusing to form an entirely new Geenseed. What are your thoughts?

#2 ·

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking that fucking with the geneseed to make psykers would go over about as well as walking into the Vatican in the year 11 hundred and telling the pope that Jesus was a Muslim sex worker.

#9 ·
I might be wrong, but I'm thinking that fucking with the geneseed to make psykers would go over about as well as walking into the Vatican in the year 11 hundred and telling the pope that Jesus was a Muslim sex worker.
Actually I think it would go better, an (imp) inquisitor would just shoot you, while the catholic one would take you to a dark cell and torture you till you recanted then burned you if you were lucky.

#3 ·
Huuummmm.... Artistic licence, and a powerful human psykers DNA would likely be more robust than most. And to be honest, when making new Space Marines their bodies would have different DNA from whatever a Geneseed contains and should biologically conflict. Yet they make new Space Marines all the time (ish).
I think the guy's just having fun with fluff rather than what may or may not be cannon :p

#4 ·
I don't think Geneseed creation is a known technology anymore. The Emperor did it, and he's not talking. Also, all geneseeds should have the POTENTIAL for powerful psychics, as they are taken from the template of the Emperor.

Now, if I wanted Ultramarines with lots of Psykers, I'd just make a successor chapter whose feeder worlds produced an unusual number of psykers, lending the potential more into the converted humans.

#5 ·
He tried making his case work. I just stood there nodding my head and going 'really now?' In my mind am ' am not a damn scientist but what the fuck? How the hell? Only the Emperor and Arik Taranis can screw with Geenseed successfully.

#6 ·
Yeah, the last time new geneseed was crafted, arguably, was the Grey Knights with two seemingly specific goals in mind, one was crafting powerful Astares psykers and the other was ensuring they were inviolable by Chaos. What the OP is describing sounds more like a Fabius Bile experiement, with his usual results, than anything that can be performed by 40K Mechanicum.

Hell, for Corax to even contemplate crafting new gene seed, he required a brain-dump from the Emperor himself... which he didn't really have conscious control over anyway.

I'd say exterminatus.

#7 ·
Mixing Ultramarine-geneseed with non-Astartes, and psykers to boot? Hm would make an interesting movie in how things can go horribly, horribly wrong (mutations and insane
Space Marines). I mean I could with skepticism maybe accept Grey Knights geneseed mixed with Ultramarine geneseed. But that would be stretching fluff a whole lot in my opinion as mixed-geneseed chapters has a history of things going very wrong for them.

#8 ·
I personally don't see sticking some psyker's DNA into geneseed and somehow magically popping out a bunch of powerful librarians as particularly plausible (or even simply sticking human DNA into geneseed to begin with).

The Blood Ravens maintain a high number of powerful librarians, but that is because they specifically look for psykers during the recruitment process. Even Grey Knights need to already be psykers before being recruited for the implantation process.

The only geneseed that I can think of that actually seemed to induce psychic mutation is that of the Thousand Sons, and we know that their geneseed was extremely unstable.

#11 ·
Maybe he added the few benfitical traits from the human Geenseed to the SM Astartes to make them 100% phykers but I can't see the DNA of a Primarch accepting a mere humans DNA. I don't even want to know what he'll come up next. Whatch the human DNA be from Malcador the Sigillite....shit I better not give him idea's.

#12 ·
It's better to give the chap ideas within the limits of fluff than to let him wander and get his own lunatic ideas. You could mix Grey Knights and Blood Ravens into the mix to explain it. Better with a bad idea, than a horrible idea in my opinion.

#13 ·
Already covered; Malcador sat on the throne too long and went poof. Leads one to wonder if they cleaned all of him off the throne before the Emperor sat down.

#20 ·
Now I have an image of Valdor standing there with a dust buster, cleaning Malcador off the Golden Throne.

Maybe they found a flake of dandruff on Malcadors brush? :crazy:
Rather some dandruff as opposed to some short and curlys... :puke:

#16 ·
Hahaha. I think DNA from his hair- or maybe toothbrush would be a better idea than just a Swifter 30.000. Though the "Yes we have luckily Malcador's DNA on his toothbrush mixed with Colgate 30.000."-argument is moot when you read the Grey Knights-codex and it word for word states their geneseed came from the Emperor himself. :)

This was actually damn funny to write.

#17 ·
The only other thing I could think of is mutation or a virus but I dbout that would bring good results. While possible it could stabilize they prob be more like chaos spawns.

#18 ·
Well bad ideas has worked it ways into established fluff. The Sons of Dorn has a Chapter Master which is a Blank. Think that a person with many enemies and few friends suddenly is a Chapter Master, nevermind Hector Rex who went toe to toe with a Bloodthirster and won and he is not even a Space Marine (though he is pretty close in ability). So it's better to give him advice turning it into merely a bad idea, rather than having a horrible idea with the risk of it becoming official fluff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.