Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Wargaming News and 40k Rumors (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/34-wargaming-news-40k-rumors/)
-   -   New starter box rumor. (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/wargaming-news-40k-rumors/139057-new-starter-box-rumor.html)

Takizuchi 01-27-14 07:24 PM

New starter box rumor.

So I saw this pop up on my facebook feed and now im kinda hopeful.

Quote:

The birds have been tweeting and we have word of what the next Warhammer 40,000 boxed starter set will look like.

We have already talked a bit about the first half of the year, and now we have word of perhaps the key product of the Q3-4 - An updated Warhammer 40,000 boxed set. Here are the details:
Launch Window - @September
Rules Summary: Updated Mini-rulebook contains FAQs, minor tweaks and clarifications, and much of Stronghold Assault rolled into a new shiny package.
Miniatures included: @70
Armies:
Blood Angels (plastic quick assembly)
- Assault Marine Squad
- Tactical Marine Squad
- Death Company Squad
- Captain (kitted out for assault)
- Chaplain
- Sanguinary Priest (limited edition, similar to the Dark Vengeance mini was)

Orks (plastic quick assembly)
- 'Ardboys (full mob)
- Nobs (small squad)
- Warboss
- Big Mek
- Ork themed fortification

This was described as simply an updated Warhammer 40,000 Starter Set and specifically "NOT 7th Edition."
You will note that September falls right smack in the middle of the rumored release slots for Orks (a couple of months before), and Blood Angels (a couple of months after).

On first glance the "not 7th Edition" makes no sense until you go back and read this. This could certainly be the start of GW rolling the "organic living ruleset" for 40K that does away with edition numbers and the sales dips they cause. Instead we would get updated core products such as rulebooks and starter sets from time to time to "bring them up to speed" with all the most current rules additions that have been rolled out in the intervening years.

This rumor comes from high-confidence sources.
Take salt as needed and discuss.

MidnightSun 01-27-14 07:55 PM

317 Attachment(s)
If true - cool, BA vs Orks is a pretty cool matchup.

But it's false. Mainly because it's unprecedented, and GW aren't going to collapse supplements into the main rulebook to save you money.

torealis 01-27-14 09:23 PM

Sounds plausible and sensible.

Tawa 01-27-14 09:54 PM

Chitose 01-27-14 10:52 PM

I've been thinking of getting into orks and eying the Assault on black reach box. If this is true this will save me some money in the long run.

Achaylus72 01-27-14 11:22 PM

I am dying of salt poisoning. i call bullshit, this means that WH40K will have two starter sets

1, the continuence of Dark Vengeance into 7th Edition and

2, now a non-7th Edition starter set of Blood Angels and Orks, which on first look has the Orks at a real disadvantage in points.

Bullshit and salt.

Uveron 01-28-14 12:05 AM

It may need to be taken with Salt.

But, if the idea that their isn't going to be a 7th edd(see the Link on the first Link), then the idea has quite a bit of merit. And would be a good move by GW.

bitsandkits 01-28-14 08:06 AM

problem with rumours like this is they have become harder and harder to dismiss when you consider GWs almost erratic releases in the last 2 years, people (including me) said GW would never release a starter set with chapter specific marine in it, well we know how that turned out, given that they did, it wouldn't be totally out of the question to do it again as the sales for DA and chaos marines will be starting to drop off as they are far from the most current armies, if Orks are coming this year and Blood angels, it would make perfect business sense to move to a new starter set and as sales potential goes Blood angels are far better sellers than DA and Orks will always sell well if they have an upto date codex as they are a very popular army that suffers from getting left at the bottom of the pile to update too often.

That said this would be a totally new direction for GW, but then again they have been doing a lot of new direction stuff lately so you cant rule it out, its just crazy enough to happen, timing makes sense too, september is GWs regular slot for drumming up sales for 40k and the march into autumn/winter period.

the more i contemplate it, the more it makes sense,it costs feck all to produce,it refreshes a core product that introduces people to the game while also being attractive to players who already are playing, gives a massive shot in the arm to two popular armies. Just not sure of the composition of the units, seems unlikely they would put 2 jump pack units in the box and the fortification seems a bit vague and unlikely, scenery takes up some serious sprue space and adds alot of weight (seriously weigh a cities of death box and then weight another 3 sprue kit its three times the weight or more).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Bindi Baji 01-28-14 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitsandkits (Post 1537473)
problem with rumours like this is they have become harder and harder to dismiss when you consider GWs almost erratic releases in the last 2 years, people (including me) said GW would never release a starter set with chapter specific marine in it, well we know how that turned out, given that they did, it wouldn't be totally out of the question to do it again as the sales for DA and chaos marines will be starting to drop off as they are far from the most current armies, if Orks are coming this year and Blood angels, it would make perfect business sense to move to a new starter set and as sales potential goes Blood angels are far better sellers than DA and Orks will always sell well if they have an upto date codex as they are a very popular army that suffers from getting left at the bottom of the pile to update too often.

all this and the possible release of all Chaos models from the current box,
while i'm still sceptical - maybe, just maybe

Tawa 01-28-14 10:55 AM

Also, as in, more than 5 cultists in a box? :good:

humakt 01-28-14 12:36 PM

I'm intrigued that this is a rumour. Its not the first time I have heard rumblings of rolling rule sets, but I'm not sure how that will work in practice. With digital only rules its fine, as incrementals realeases can be automatically updated, but when somebody shells out for a hardback book, they don't want it outdated within 6 months.

Also orks? Its always possible but is it usual for GW to use the same enemy in subsequent dual army starter boxed set releases?

bitsandkits 01-28-14 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humakt (Post 1537761)

Also orks? Its always possible but is it usual for GW to use the same enemy in subsequent dual army starter boxed set releases?

they have already been used opposition twice out of five sets so it wouldn't be totally unprecedented, plus as i said they are popular, they are fun and easy to relate to for total newbs to the hobby, the chaos marines are a little harder to explain than "big green ugly Aliens who love to fight"

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Veteran Sergeant 01-28-14 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achaylus72 (Post 1536889)
2, now a non-7th Edition starter set of Blood Angels and Orks, which on first look has the Orks at a real disadvantage in points.

Points disadvantages are pretty normal. Team Chaos in Dark Vengeance is ridiculously weak. Team Dark Eldar in the 3rd Edition Set was also ridiculously weak.

But it's possible that the boxed set is 5 man squads for the Assault and Tactical, not the full ten-man. If you drop the set down to 15 Marines (including a "double sized" kit like Assault Marines) and 2 character models (1 extra for LE), then it becomes more realistic and comparable to previous editions like AoBR, BFM and AoBR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitsandkits (Post 1537473)
s, people (including me) said GW would never release a starter set with chapter specific marine in it, well we know how that turned out

I was one of those people at first, and then it made complete sense. I posted about it on B&C the other day. Blood Angels are different enough from Dark Angels, but also not so generic that the boxed set is too attractive.
Why would you not want it to be too attractive? Simple. The boxed set is more expensive to put together than a regular kit. It has all kinds of other stuff in it, and is wasteful. The biggest "problem" with AOBR, and why I think they went with DA for the DV set, was that AOBR was way too good of a deal. You could use the "Ultramarines" in it to be any chapter, and EBay was always flooded with the models from it being sold as individual lots. Meanwhile think of how many discarded rulebooks, templates, dice, etc that meant.

It was incredibly wasteful, from both an environmental perspective and from a business perspective. If all people wanted were the models, the profit potential is higher if you can just get them to buy the models by themselves. With DV, the set does what it is supposed to. It serves as a starter kit. Sure, there are people still buying it for the models, but I'd guess the volume of DV sets being moved is far lower than AoBR sets.

I think the volume of the box contents seem a bit exaggerated with the idea of there being 70-something. If there's an Orkification in it, it's going to be something fairly small. Think more along the lines of the crashed lander from BFM.

ntaw 01-28-14 07:04 PM

A starter kit with BA in it?

For my wallet's sake, I hope it isn't true.

For my armies sake, I hope it is.

afnolte 01-28-14 07:46 PM

The Ork fortification might be something like an Aegis line.

morfangdakka 01-28-14 07:49 PM

As B&K pointed out it is hard to totally dismiss this a bullshit since GW has done some releases that are unusual. The timing would be about right to get people warmed up to buy stuff for the holiday season to build up the armies from the starter box set. And orks do seem easy to explain to new players "the green guy run forward and smash things" and if they get their new codex rumored in July-August then putting them in the box makes more sense.

I hope it is true because it is ork stuff and I am always wanting new ork stuff to build my waagh up .

psactionman 01-28-14 09:21 PM

From a business standpoint this makes perfect sense. GW's sales dropped 2013 from 2012 in part because they were competing with the Dark Vengence release in 2012. No codex, even one as popular as the Space Marines, can compete with a starter kit. By releasing annual starter kits, as well as new codexes, you have a better chance of consistent sales numbers. Makes perfect business sense to me.

d3m01iti0n 01-28-14 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afnolte (Post 1538457)
The Ork fortification might be something like an Aegis line.

The old Ork Barricade is the same dimensions as the Aegis, so this may in fact be what it is. GW still carries it. Also the FW Flakk Gun is the perfect Quad Gun.

Bindi Baji 01-28-14 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psactionman (Post 1538633)
By releasing annual starter kits, as well as new codexes, you have a better chance of consistent sales numbers. Makes perfect business sense to me.

If it were to work like this I would expect Bi annual releases

Jace of Ultramar 01-28-14 11:01 PM

This is interesting. A little similar to Magic the Gatherings annual Core Set.

venomlust 01-28-14 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar (Post 1538889)
This is interesting. A little similar to Magic the Gatherings annual Core Set.

When you put it that way, I really like the idea. Unique characters/rules would definitely help keep things fresh.

I just wish Krannon was unique in some way, and could be fielded as an undivided lord. Maybe his sword as a Daemon Weapon or something. Some flava. I bet this will come with the event's rules, though. Damn, I hope it does. How boring would that be? A boring lord with a plasma pistol, power sword, and 5+ invuln save leading a campaign.

Also, Blood Angels versus Orks sounds awesome. I accept the mandatory Astartes presence (though I would have liked Space Wolves a little more). If the quality of the sculpts is anything close to Dark Vengeance, I'm very excited to see some ornate artificer plate and weaponry.

Orks FTW. Can never go wrong with orks.

JAMOB 01-28-14 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntaw (Post 1538385)
A starter kit with BA in it?

For my wallet's sake, I hope it isn't true.

For my armies sake, I hope it is.

This... And I was thinking of starting the new orks :/

Jace of Ultramar 01-29-14 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venomlust (Post 1538905)
When you put it that way, I really like the idea. Unique characters/rules would definitely help keep things fresh.

It was the first thing to come to mind. If true, I may split it with a friend.

Achaylus72 01-29-14 02:44 AM

Reading what B&K wrote and others, i am now of the opinion that i am warming up to BA v Orks as they say you can't have too many Orks, and oh hell i admit the other day i got out my current Blood Angels codex and on a whimsy i put together a wishlist of building a Blood Angels Army considering the poor bastards are Khorne followers but aren't classy enought to admit it.

Also yeah i agree and considering what GW does it makes perfect sense.

I still have some bullshit and salt on hand, any takers?

Einherjar667 01-29-14 03:52 AM

I thought DV was a great set. Felt very fresh, and with the model quality, generated lots of excitement. I can see how GW would make moves toward putting out more of these sets. No complaints from me, I've even been eying the fantasy one.

CommissarAidan 01-29-14 06:20 AM

can you turn the ba into ultramarines or a different chapter

humakt 01-29-14 07:29 AM

I can see the advantage of a bi annual release to GW. It could extend the life of each version meaning they have the opportunity to ensure all codexes and army books are created for a particular version. This is with the caveat that the last few codexes of any particular version is designed for the next one.

KarnalBloodfist 01-29-14 03:45 PM

IF the rumor is true, the fortification sort of seems ... out of place for Orks. They're usually the aggressor.

ntaw 01-29-14 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMOB (Post 1538969)
This... And I was thinking of starting the new orks :/

Shit, I have 4 armies. I could have 5....why not Orks??

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarnalBloodfist (Post 1540713)
IF the rumor is true, the fortification sort of seems ... out of place for Orks. They're usually the aggressor.

Astute. Fortifications force static play and that is decidedly un-orky.

Achaylus72 01-29-14 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarnalBloodfist (Post 1540713)

Not if the new set has missions such as what DV has/had and the BA has to attack the Ork fortifications, make perfect sense.

Hewbear 01-30-14 08:49 AM

Sounds interesting but im incredibly board with SM. AoBR, DV next this. Cmon give the rest of the impirium a chance IG vs Nids has always been my fav matchup! And the most plausable aswel XD

Bindi Baji 01-30-14 11:42 AM

surely the word would be Orkification?

Veteran Sergeant 01-30-14 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewbear (Post 1542049)
Sounds interesting but im incredibly board with SM. AoBR, DV next this. Cmon give the rest of the impirium a chance IG vs Nids has always been my fav matchup! And the most plausable aswel XD

Will never happen. Starter kits are to introduce new players, and Space Marines are the flagship product for 40K.

venomlust 01-30-14 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindi Baji (Post 1542273)
surely the word would be Orkification?

Veteran Sergeant 01-30-14 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntaw (Post 1541569)
Astute. Fortifications force static play and that is decidedly un-orky.

Any good boss has to have a proppa fort to show how powerful he is.

Jace of Ultramar 01-31-14 11:39 AM

Actually, I'd like to see more fortifications for the various races. I can't believe that Eldar would carry around Imperial defense lines and Bastions.

Tawa 01-31-14 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar (Post 1545185)
Actually, I'd like to see more fortifications for the various races. I can't believe that Eldar would carry around Imperial defense lines and Bastions.

Sub-contracting the building work....? :laugh:

the_barwn 01-31-14 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawa (Post 1545233)

Would they understand the concept of tea breaks though??? :drinks:

Nordicus 01-31-14 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_barwn (Post 1545313)
Would they understand the concept of tea breaks though???

Then again, no-one outside of the UK does either xD

Bindi Baji 01-31-14 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawa (Post 1545233)

*Waits for the 40k equivalent of Polish builders and plumbers*