Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Wargaming News and 40k Rumors (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/34-wargaming-news-40k-rumors/)
-   -   New starter box rumor. (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/wargaming-news-40k-rumors/139057-new-starter-box-rumor.html)

humakt 01-28-14 12:36 PM

I'm intrigued that this is a rumour. Its not the first time I have heard rumblings of rolling rule sets, but I'm not sure how that will work in practice. With digital only rules its fine, as incrementals realeases can be automatically updated, but when somebody shells out for a hardback book, they don't want it outdated within 6 months.

Also orks? Its always possible but is it usual for GW to use the same enemy in subsequent dual army starter boxed set releases?

bitsandkits 01-28-14 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humakt (Post 1537761)

Also orks? Its always possible but is it usual for GW to use the same enemy in subsequent dual army starter boxed set releases?

they have already been used opposition twice out of five sets so it wouldn't be totally unprecedented, plus as i said they are popular, they are fun and easy to relate to for total newbs to the hobby, the chaos marines are a little harder to explain than "big green ugly Aliens who love to fight"

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Veteran Sergeant 01-28-14 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achaylus72 (Post 1536889)
2, now a non-7th Edition starter set of Blood Angels and Orks, which on first look has the Orks at a real disadvantage in points.

Points disadvantages are pretty normal. Team Chaos in Dark Vengeance is ridiculously weak. Team Dark Eldar in the 3rd Edition Set was also ridiculously weak.

But it's possible that the boxed set is 5 man squads for the Assault and Tactical, not the full ten-man. If you drop the set down to 15 Marines (including a "double sized" kit like Assault Marines) and 2 character models (1 extra for LE), then it becomes more realistic and comparable to previous editions like AoBR, BFM and AoBR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitsandkits (Post 1537473)
s, people (including me) said GW would never release a starter set with chapter specific marine in it, well we know how that turned out

I was one of those people at first, and then it made complete sense. I posted about it on B&C the other day. Blood Angels are different enough from Dark Angels, but also not so generic that the boxed set is too attractive.
Why would you not want it to be too attractive? Simple. The boxed set is more expensive to put together than a regular kit. It has all kinds of other stuff in it, and is wasteful. The biggest "problem" with AOBR, and why I think they went with DA for the DV set, was that AOBR was way too good of a deal. You could use the "Ultramarines" in it to be any chapter, and EBay was always flooded with the models from it being sold as individual lots. Meanwhile think of how many discarded rulebooks, templates, dice, etc that meant.

It was incredibly wasteful, from both an environmental perspective and from a business perspective. If all people wanted were the models, the profit potential is higher if you can just get them to buy the models by themselves. With DV, the set does what it is supposed to. It serves as a starter kit. Sure, there are people still buying it for the models, but I'd guess the volume of DV sets being moved is far lower than AoBR sets.

I think the volume of the box contents seem a bit exaggerated with the idea of there being 70-something. If there's an Orkification in it, it's going to be something fairly small. Think more along the lines of the crashed lander from BFM.

ntaw 01-28-14 07:04 PM

A starter kit with BA in it?

For my wallet's sake, I hope it isn't true.

For my armies sake, I hope it is.

afnolte 01-28-14 07:46 PM

The Ork fortification might be something like an Aegis line.

morfangdakka 01-28-14 07:49 PM

As B&K pointed out it is hard to totally dismiss this a bullshit since GW has done some releases that are unusual. The timing would be about right to get people warmed up to buy stuff for the holiday season to build up the armies from the starter box set. And orks do seem easy to explain to new players "the green guy run forward and smash things" and if they get their new codex rumored in July-August then putting them in the box makes more sense.

I hope it is true because it is ork stuff and I am always wanting new ork stuff to build my waagh up .

psactionman 01-28-14 09:21 PM

From a business standpoint this makes perfect sense. GW's sales dropped 2013 from 2012 in part because they were competing with the Dark Vengence release in 2012. No codex, even one as popular as the Space Marines, can compete with a starter kit. By releasing annual starter kits, as well as new codexes, you have a better chance of consistent sales numbers. Makes perfect business sense to me.

d3m01iti0n 01-28-14 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afnolte (Post 1538457)
The Ork fortification might be something like an Aegis line.

The old Ork Barricade is the same dimensions as the Aegis, so this may in fact be what it is. GW still carries it. Also the FW Flakk Gun is the perfect Quad Gun.

Bindi Baji 01-28-14 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psactionman (Post 1538633)
By releasing annual starter kits, as well as new codexes, you have a better chance of consistent sales numbers. Makes perfect business sense to me.

If it were to work like this I would expect Bi annual releases

Jace of Ultramar 01-28-14 11:01 PM

This is interesting. A little similar to Magic the Gatherings annual Core Set.