Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Modelling and Painting (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/27-modelling-painting/)
-   -   How do you remove super glue from Plastic Models (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/modelling-painting/13728-how-do-you-remove-super-glue-plastic-models.html)

styrofaom04 07-17-08 02:08 PM

How do you remove super glue from Plastic Models

Hello,

I bought some plastic models on ebay and this person loves super glue! Every part of a Defiler is super glued even the moving parts. I would like to take it apart and customize the weapons and change the positioning of the arms. So I need a way to dissolve the glue without melting the plastic. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

loyalist42 07-17-08 02:47 PM

If you pop the model into the freezer for at least four or five hours (say, overnight...), the superglue should become brittle enough that you can just snap the pieces apart fairly easily. You've gotta be careful with this method, though; you can easily damage the model if you're too heavy handed about it.

Eckshale 07-17-08 02:47 PM

Unfortunatley i don't know if Mineral turpentine is melting plastic, but it did get a bunch super glue away from my floor and my feet witout much remnants than a toothbrush that looked like had been brushing my teeth with bubble gum and the unavoidable odour.

I might just try some on an old model when i get home.

Toast Ghost 07-17-08 03:45 PM

i use a bowl of boiling water soak for about 2hours no brittlness should work :)

styrofaom04 07-17-08 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toast Ghost (Post 147445)
i use a bowl of boiling water soak for about 2hours no brittlness should work :)

I tried that one. but it didn't work on the large model

styrofaom04 07-17-08 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eckshale (Post 147388)
I might just try some on an old model when i get home.

Let me know how that works for you

Drax 07-17-08 04:26 PM

you could try using your girlfriend/wife/sister/mother's nail varnish remover.

styrofaom04 07-17-08 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loyalist42 (Post 147387)
If you pop the model into the freezer for at least four or five hours (say, overnight...), the superglue should become brittle enough that you can just snap the pieces apart fairly easily. You've gotta be careful with this method, though; you can easily damage the model if you're too heavy handed about it.

thnx I'll give it a try tonight. but the defiler has a lot of little parts

styrofaom04 07-17-08 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drax (Post 147468)
you could try using your girlfriend/wife/sister/mother's nail varnish remover.

I heard that it makes the plastic soft and taky. I know it works great on metal.

loyalist42 07-17-08 04:37 PM

Yeah...maybe give that a try for the larger parts, legs etc., and see if you can't find a different method for the smaller parts...