Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Wargaming News and 40k Rumors (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/34-wargaming-news-40k-rumors/)
-   -   Armies of Renown Book (Army of the Month Collection) (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/wargaming-news-40k-rumors/130383-armies-renown-book-army-month-collection.html)

Jacobite 11-23-13 09:27 AM

Armies of Renown Book (Army of the Month Collection)

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...d=prod2250138a

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...er_873x627.jpg

Armies of Renown: 20GBP/33USD/40CAD/40AUD/57NZD

Collecting the first 12 months of White Dwarf's Army of the Month articles, Armies of Renown contains a year's worth of highly individual and personalised collections.

Included are examples of different painting techniques, personalised conversions, colour schemes and much more. But above all, this book is bursting with 12 fantastic miniatures collections that will provide ideas and inspiration for any hobbyist.

Armies of Renown is a full colour, hardback book containing 80 pages of glorious miniatures collections.

So basically GW invites hobbyists to send in pictures of their armies (or send them to Warhammer World I think?). They take pictures and then GW sticks in in WD. Then at the end of the year they collect them all into one book and slap a 60NZD price tag on it.... I really hope they are paying the people who sent their armies in at least something. Otherwise that is just wrong. Sooooo wrong in my book.

The Son of Horus 11-23-13 11:32 AM

Not likely. Their submission guidelines state that anything you submit becomes their intellectual property, in short. I think they figure being in White Dwarf (and being featured in a $30 book) is enough of an ego-booster that they don't have to pay anyone for the entries.

That being said... this is stupid. Really, really stupid. If they had comprehensive painting and modelling guides in it, that might be different, but you know all they'll have for that in there is their basic four step program of "base, layer, wash, drybrush" that doesn't produce results that are even vaguely comparable to what's pictured.

Kobrakai 11-23-13 11:42 AM

A nice way for them to reprint old WD articles into a book and make more money..

The stuff in there won't come anywhere near the stuff we have in our project logs section, especially the likes of Jacobite, Khornes Fist, Swedemarine and Xenobiotic.

Not going to buy this!

Alariccantonain 11-23-13 11:59 AM

No way to send my armies to them.

stuff 11-23-13 02:41 PM

Not gona lie, I quite want this. I don't really have much interest in the majority of the contents of WD, but quite frequently I've heard people make reference to the "army of the month" section. I wouldn't get a subscription to WD, but I would happily pay for a compilation of these articles. However, there would be no chance whatsoever of me purchasing this if I had splashed out on a couple WD copies this year.

SilverTabby 11-23-13 05:23 PM

Hmmm. If I ever get an army to the state I'd be happy to send it in, I'll be sure to do proper stage by stages for it...

Ddraig Cymry 11-23-13 07:29 PM

I might buy this, even if it's just to stare in awe at the great models haha

Jacobite 11-23-13 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Son of Horus (Post 1434363)
Not likely. Their submission guidelines state that anything you submit becomes their intellectual property, in short. I think they figure being in White Dwarf (and being featured in a $30 book) is enough of an ego-booster that they don't have to pay anyone for the entries.

Yeah that's what I assumed was going on. Pretty fucking low and immoral in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobrakai (Post 1434366)
A nice way for them to reprint old WD articles into a book and make more money..

The stuff in there won't come anywhere near the stuff we have in our project logs section, especially the likes of Jacobite, Khornes Fist, Swedemarine and Xenobiotic.

Not going to buy this!

Don't get me wrong mate, I've seen the WD's where these armies have been in and they are pretty bloody amazing nowhere near what I could. If the painters were actually getting a cut of the proceeds then I would probably pick up a copy just to show some support for them and GW's support of the community, as it stands I'd rather burn $60 bucks.

The fact is though you can find armies of this standard online fairly easily with much better discussion around. Yourself and @xenobiotic being prime examples.

Khorne's Fist 11-23-13 10:44 PM

You can look at pretty armies all day on the interweb. If I was going to buy something for painting tips I'd buy this. But, again, there are great painting guides all over the web. This is just ridiculous.

Varakir 11-23-13 11:54 PM

They should have done a calendar with the 12 armies, including some nice pics and some background on the people and ideas that created them.

Sell it for the usual GW markup, like 12-15 but a decent cut goes to charity. I'm sure they'd sell quite a lot from people tacking it onto their orders during and after xmas.