Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Wargaming News and 40k Rumors (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/34-wargaming-news-40k-rumors/)
-   -   The Future 4 Games of Games Workshop (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/wargaming-news-40k-rumors/130259-future-4-games-games-workshop.html)

Geist 11-17-13 05:00 AM

The Future 4 Games of Games Workshop

Quote:

via Tim on Faeit 212
Looking far ahead, the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings will be phased out.

Horus Heresy will be the third System after Fantasy & 40k and become the "Mature" Game for 40k.

There are plans for an "Mature" Fantasy game with Forgeworld Models too.

Both Games will become their own modified Rulebooks
I'm personally loving everything that's been put out for Horus Heresy, so it getting more support and official recognition as a GW game system sounds great.

I kind of wonder what mature is supposed to mean though? And if they do expand HH, will we be seeing any armies outside of the standard imperial stuff(would love to see HH era Xenos).

effigy22 11-17-13 08:00 AM

Anyone else seeing a "mature" novel coming out? It shall be titled "50 shades of grey knights".

MidnightSun 11-17-13 02:35 PM

317 Attachment(s)
While I'm very dubious about the Horus Heresy stuff, phasing out the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit stuff makes a lot of sense in 2015. After the Hobbit trilogy's finished, the tabletop game will stagnate back into piles of unsellable boxes of models. Unless the Silmarilion is made into a film (hint: it won't), then I doubt GW will be able to keep The Hobbit above water and will discontinue it.

Don't know about 'mature' Fantasy and 40k. If they fix Fantasy as a game system, then fucking fantastic, because Warhammer Forge is singularly beautiful and being able to use it would be awesome. But what is 'mature'? Daemonettes with actual tits? Let's hope so.

Midnight

SilverTabby 11-17-13 02:43 PM

Mature does not mean "with added tits". Torchwood series 1 utterly failed to grasp this concept too.
Mature means "rules that don't need to be understood by teenagers, and can include complicated maths".

The mature themes you seem to be thinking of would be covered in novels and BL stuff. I doubt GW will ever sponsor a game where the actual rulebook incorporates actual 'adult only' content. Slaanesh is about as close as they will ever get in a main rulebook.

"Mad" Larkin 11-17-13 03:32 PM

I would suppose that mature in a GW-sense means units so big and expensive you have to have a full-time-job to afford it.

Varakir 11-17-13 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Mad" Larkin (Post 1432847)
I would suppose that mature in a GW-sense means units so big and expensive you have to have a full-time-job to afford it.

As apposed to the current system where you only need to work 30 hours a week :wink:

Interesting news - i'd have thought they'd be looking into skirmish systems rather than another army battles set of rules. Will have to wait and see i guess.

ChaosRedCorsairLord 11-17-13 05:24 PM

It's just one of those nothing statements used to build up hype about something, or make it sound interesting.

I played an interesting 'mature game' the other day, it's called: doing my tax return. I lost.

Bindi Baji 11-17-13 10:26 PM

Quote:

Looking far ahead, the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings will be phased out.

Horus Heresy will be the third System after Fantasy & 40k and become the "Mature" Game for 40k.

There are plans for an "Mature" Fantasy game with Forgeworld Models too.

Both Games will become their own modified Rulebook
At some point, yes I believe lotr and hobbit will disappear,
but 30k is too similar to 40k and whats more is fairly interchangeable for it to be a main system.
I am sure we'll see replacements but there must be a good few years left on the lotr licence yet

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverTabby (Post 1432838)
Mature means "rules that don't need to be understood by teenagers, and can include complicated maths".

a winning combination of cleanliness and pythagoras then

Khorne's Fist 11-17-13 11:12 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 30k already has it's own rules sets in the form of the FW HH books, and it's also only for mature gamers, as in grown ups with disposable income. So basically all that statements says is that LotR and The Hobbit will be phased out, which I find hard to believe. I was led to believe that LotR was a big cash cow for GW. Why cut off their nose to spite their face?

Mokuren 11-18-13 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist (Post 1432936)
I was led to believe that LotR was a big cash cow for GW.

Really? I have yet to meet someone that plays that game. I always thought their LotR line was a massive flop and they only stick with it because of legal agreements.