Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Space Marine Army Lists (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/139-space-marine-army-lists/)
-   -   Hello Everyone- 7 Pod Drop Build (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/space-marine-army-lists/129897-hello-everyone-7-pod-drop-build.html)

Flashfire 10-30-13 09:24 PM

Hello Everyone- 7 Pod Drop Build

Hello everyone, I am glad to be part of Heresy. I am excited about table top gaming and I decided to go with the Space Marine Chapter- Salamanders. I would like to try my build on a more competitive level. I do however, need to finish painting my models. So, I was sitting around house and I came up with this build. Please let me know how to improve the idea.

HQ:
Librarian (Level 1)
Librarian (Level 1, Attached to an Assault Squad)

Elite:
Ironclads (HF, CF, D.P.)
Ironclads (HF, CF, D.P.)

Heavy Support:
Thunderfire Cannon
Thunderfire Cannon

Troops:
Tactical (10 w/MM, combi-melta, meltagun, PF, D.P.)
Tactical (10 w/MM, combi-melta, meltagun, PF, D.P.)
Scouts (5 w/Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks)
Scouts (5 w/Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks)
Scouts (5 w/Bolters)
Scouts (5 w/Bolters)

Fast Attack: Assault:
Assault (8 w/2 flamers, D.P.)
Assault (8 w/2 flamers, Melta Bombs, D.P.)
Assault (8 w/2 flamers, Melta Bombs, D.P.)

Q: How to utilize the Scouts to optimize their abilities?

Insane idea, but it sounds interesting to me. So, 2 Ironclads, 1 Tac Squad, and Assault w/ Librarian come in on turn one and attack a weak side. Depending on the army and opponents set up would determine how I would drop the other three pods on turn 2 (Rather support in back field, hold points, or resupply fresh troops in the mayhem). Again all advice and experience with drop pod armies is greatly appreciated.

Partybear 11-01-13 10:30 AM

Hi
I have used tac squads in drop pods alot and I find if they are going to be going in close to the opponent, (assuming they are as they have melta) then heavy weapons in these squads are nearly useless, you cant shoot the them when they land unless you snapshot and if you survive the drop you want to be moving not remaining stationary.

Suggestions for improvement:
  • Drop Multi Meltas from D.P units
  • Change a Librarian to Vulkan
  • Find additional points required by dropping a scout squad

Vulkan will make ur melta more efficient and he is very good assault HQ. So although ur losing ur Heavy melta the remaining ones will be TL.
Hope you got some ideas from this. :)

Nordicus 11-01-13 10:46 AM

While I know nothing about the tactics for Space Marines (filthy loyalist - They must be purged!) I just wanted to drop by and welcome you to the forums! :)

Lord Pestilice 11-01-13 03:21 PM

Ok, for your scouts, I recommend dropping one of the bolter squads. With that, I suggest giving one or more of your Assault Squads a power weapon or fist just to add some versatility. Use the other left over points to give your other scouts with bolters a land speeder storm to give them mobility and to help contest objectives. Perhaps also give that SGT melta bombs or a power weapon, combi bolter or something.
I like the idea of trying to work in Vulcan to make your signature weapons more reliable.