Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Tactics (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/15-40k-tactics/)
-   -   US vs UK: Tactical Trends (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-tactics/129271-us-vs-uk-tactical-trends.html)

darklove 10-09-13 06:49 PM

US vs UK: Tactical Trends

It seems to me that there are some distinct differences in the tactics used by different factions in the US vs the UK and I wonder if anyone else has observed this and could make some sweeping generalisations about this?
I find it fascinating.

To make one quick example, I am in the UK and I recently returned to Eldar (I am mainly a Necron player since forever) after a break of several years. Everyone loves EMLs on Wave Serpents here, it is the bee's knees (and bees must have nice knees because that is where they carry their 'soon to be honey'). But all the comments I see here from US members are "NONONO! EMLs are soooo expensive - use Scatter lasers to make your shuriken cannon and serpent shield twin-linked - it is uber sweet" etc. etc.

So, has anyone else noticed some big tactical trend differences between different parts of the world?

MidnightSun 10-09-13 08:28 PM

317 Attachment(s)
Australians have tactics, Brits don't :laugh:

Midnight

Chaplain-Grimaldus 10-09-13 09:08 PM

Well that is utter bullshit midnight lol.

I'm pretty sure the incentives for a Brit soldier to transfer to the Ausies army is a fuck lot more than it is for the Ausies to come to the Brits (Eg, there isn't)

Ps: after reading that it sounds like I'm kicking off, I'm not, it's playful banter lol.

Straken's_Fist 10-09-13 09:12 PM

I think what you really mean is real life tactics vs internet tactics. :-) Unless you have spoken to international players in 'real life'...

Loki1416 10-09-13 09:34 PM

I can see that people from different countries would think differently when it comes to tactics. Thing is though, there is a HUGE difference between tactics and list optimization.

Ddraig Cymry 10-09-13 11:32 PM

I'm not familiar with this as I've only played one guy and we're both American, he was Eldar using a Wraithknight and Eldrad n a 1,250 point list. I on the other hand really like hitting your enemies hard were they're weak, not neccesarily hit and run. I like hitting fast and hitting hard enough to beat them before they have much of a chance to hit back.

darklove 10-10-13 10:44 AM

I'm obviously talking about game tactics rather than real world :)

Some net-lists seem to be popular everywhere, while some only in particular regions of the world.

locustgate 10-10-13 12:19 PM

My most frequent tactic is pin your enemy down with infantry and heavy fire while your elites move in to take out their HQ and elites, works with IG, Tau, Orks, Usually Chaos, and Marines.

Note: tenderizing them with heavy fire, Broadsides, and stealth teams increases the kill:loss ration in your favor.

MidnightSun 10-10-13 01:09 PM

317 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus (Post 1420280)
Well that is utter bullshit midnight lol.

I'm pretty sure the incentives for a Brit soldier to transfer to the Ausies army is a fuck lot more than it is for the Ausies to come to the Brits (Eg, there isn't)

Ps: after reading that it sounds like I'm kicking off, I'm not, it's playful banter lol.

I think the thread's on about the little plastic models we all collect, not the actual armed forces :wink:

And yeah, it's a huge generalization; I just used Australia as an example since it has the best competitive blog hosted there (3++ Is The New Black), but I'm honestly comparing tournament lists to FLGS lists; some of the shit I've seen at Warhammer World's 'Invasion!' events...

Midnight

Chaplain-Grimaldus 10-10-13 05:07 PM

I know, I was joking :)

I think it's only natural that trends will adapt and evolve to meet the local Meta.

It goes beyond nationally to locally. If your area has a load of Ork/nid players then you will see a lot of flamers in tactical squads, guard squads and so on but if there are loads of mec players or marines