Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Orcs and Goblins Army Lists (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/266-orcs-goblins-army-lists/)
-   -   750pt Night Goblins (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/orcs-goblins-army-lists/128476-750pt-night-goblins.html)

Doomseer 09-05-13 02:36 AM

750pt Night Goblins

Hey Guys

I am looking to get into fantasy warhammer and want to make an all Night Goblin army. I am aiming for a 750 point starter force. Here is what I have currently:

Night Goblin Shaman: Level 2 Upgrade
30 Night Goblin Spearmen: Netters, Full Command, 2 Fanatics
30 Night Goblin Spearmen: Netters, Full Command, 1 Fanatic
20 Night Goblin Shortbows: Full Command
8 Squig Hoppers
~650 pts

Are these units solid? What should I add to reach 750?

Ratvan 09-05-13 02:53 AM

You really want a Warboss and Big Boss BSB for leadership and rerolls you should be able to get both for 150ish points so drop the extra level and one of the units if 30 combat ng's and use remaining points to expand the other two units

Doomseer 09-05-13 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratvan (Post 1410775)
You really want a Warboss and Big Boss BSB for leadership and rerolls you should be able to get both for 150ish points so drop the extra level and one of the units if 30 combat ng's and use remaining points to expand the other two units

Thanks for your quick reply. I like your suggestions, but am I legally allowed to field so many heroes in such a small army? and Would going up to 1000 points straight away fix this?

Edit: Ok, I think I have come up with an updated list using your suggestions:

Night Goblin Warboss: Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield
Night Goblin Big Boss: Battle Standard Bearer
Night Goblin Shaman: Level 1
50 Night Goblin Spearmen: Netters, Full Command, 3 Fanatics (Standard and Warboss go here)
8 Squig Hoppers

List comes out at just under 750 :D

Ratvan 09-05-13 06:25 PM

We also long as you have 25% in core and do not have more than 25% in Heroes, Lords and Rare and 50% in special you're sorted so for 750 points it goes like

Lords -0-187.5
Heroes -0-187.5
Core -187.5+
Special -0-375
Rare -0-187.5

Personally (because I have the models) I would do something like this:

Goblin Warboss - 78 pts
Light Armour, Warrior Bane, Enchanted Shield

Night Goblin Big Boss - 74 pts
Battle Standard Bearer, Light Armour, Shield, Standard of Discipline

Night Goblin Shaman - 50 pts

21 Night Goblins - 73 pts
Short Bows, Musician

40 Night Goblins - 185 pts
Musician, Standard Bearer, Nets

3 Trolls - 105 pts

Squig Herd - 135 pts
15 Squigs, 5 Night Goblins

Goblin Wolf Chariot - 50 pts

Firstly the all NG Theme is cool but in practise it lacks Leadership, hence the Goblin Warboss he has an extra point of leadership over the NG equivalent but you can model him to be a NG Warboss,however if you want to be all NG then swap it for a NG Warboss

With your Core you want to spend the bare minimum amount of points or as close to it as possible as for Goblin Players they simply provide numbers.

The above list gives you most of the items that you would use in larger games, personally I don't take Fanatics IMO they're too expensive (point wise) and have caused me far more damage to my own troops then my opponents. If you really want them however drop the chariot (for now) and have 2 in the Short Bow unit as it is likely that you'll only get 1 turn of shooting and stand and shoot reaction with the unit anyway may as well try and ramp up the damage (also when releasing them try and get them to stop short of hitting the enemy unit so they have to move over the Fanatic taking more damage)

Trolls are a great unit for Orc and Goblin Armies and at this point level a unit of 3 should do really well as I wouldn't expect too many units with flaming attacks

Squig Herds I love the amount of S5 attacks they can provide is great for the point cost, plus they're such an iconic unit its hard not to love them.

Finally I wrote an OnG Tactic thread regarding building army lists as well as how to set up and effective "checkerboard" tactic with your units I personally think that it is worth the read, although I do need to update it at some point

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=110375

Doomseer 09-06-13 02:36 AM

Once again, thank you for your in-depth reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratvan (Post 1410920)
Lords -0-187.5
Heroes -0-187.5
Core -187.5+
Special -0-375
Rare -0-187.5

Ok that makes sense to me--for some reason I thought Lords and Heroes shared their 25% points maximum.

Quote:

Goblin Warboss - 78 pts
Light Armour, Warrior Bane, Enchanted Shield

Night Goblin Big Boss - 74 pts
Battle Standard Bearer, Light Armour, Shield, Standard of Discipline

Night Goblin Shaman - 50 pts

21 Night Goblins - 73 pts
Short Bows, Musician

40 Night Goblins - 185 pts
Musician, Standard Bearer, Nets

3 Trolls - 105 pts

Squig Herd - 135 pts
15 Squigs, 5 Night Goblins

Goblin Wolf Chariot - 50 pts

This list looks much better! The trolls seem like a good suggestion, I will definitely get some of those for my army. However, I think I will stick with the 2 fanatics over the chariot--I just love how ridiculous they are, even if they don't end up being worth their points.

Are squig hoppers really not that great? I am a complete newbie to warhammer fantasy, but I really like the look of the models and the idea of a quasi-cavalry unit.

Quote:

With your Core you want to spend the bare minimum amount of points or as close to it as possible as for Goblin Players they simply provide numbers.

Looking at my original list it does seem I have far to much invested in my core units and thus, lacked any real 'hitting power'. The other good thing about this list is I already have all the spearmen/shortbows I'd need.

Quote:

Finally I wrote an OnG Tactic thread regarding building army lists as well as how to set up and effective "checkerboard" tactic with your units I personally think that it is worth the read, although I do need to update it at some point

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=110375

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Ratvan 09-06-13 05:55 AM

Squig Hoppers i've not used since 5/6th edition.....I cant remember the last game I used them in.

I can see the use of them as a screen for a Night Goblin Warboss on Giant Cave squig, and random movement is great for not allowing stand and shoot reactions or "charging" through a building. Try them out if you like the models if they dont work out you can use them as part of a squig herd later to add some variety to the unit. OnG are a rowdy bunch so anything goes.

Doomseer 09-06-13 10:51 AM

Okay, so I think this is the list I am going to work towards:

Warboss: Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield
Big Boss: Light Armour, Shield, Battle Standard
Night Goblin Shaman
40 Night Goblin Spearmen: Netters, Full Command
20 Night Goblin Shortbows: Musician, 2 Fanatics
3 Trolls
15 Squigs 5 Squig herders

Hopefully this list can provide a good base which I can expand upon.

Ratvan 09-06-13 11:46 AM

Take the shield off the warboss if going with Great Weapon as you can't use it in CC and he'll not need it if bunkered

alasdair 09-08-13 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doomseer (Post 1411074)
Warboss: Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield

I can see his uses, but is a pretty big points sink for not much payoff in my opinion, especially if you aren't giving him a magic weapon.

Quote:

Big Boss: Light Armour, Shield, Battle Standard

Pretty essential, good choice. A magic banner wouldn't hurt

Quote:

Night Goblin Shaman

I love having expendable shamans. I took 3 in a previous 800pt list and they did me proud. Just having one is going to bite you in the ass if you roll a bad spell however.

Quote:

40 Night Goblin Spearmen: Netters, Full Command

Fair enough. Depending on who you are against, I don't know if netters are going to be worth it. No fanatics seems odd, considering they are your only big frontline.

Quote:

20 Night Goblin Shortbows: Musician, 2 Fanatics

I am pretty split about this. In my opinion, the range of short bows and the innacuracy of goblins doesn't justify taking a small unit of them. The only reason I would take goblin bows would be in a big unit with the Spider Banner and a Shaman to buff the poison, but it is a matter of taste. I am also slightly confused by the fanatics, considering you should be protecting your ranged units with your other units.

Quote:

3 Trolls

I don't really like trolls at all. They are hardly stronger than Orcs, with many more drawbacks and higher points. I guess if it is a night goblin army they fit in, but I would perhaps consider using the points for mangler squigs or war machines.

Quote:

15 Squigs 5 Squig herders

I haven't used squigs in a long time, but they still remain a pretty potent shock unit for their points.

Overall, a solid foundation, but you are spending points in fairly odd unit choices. I would suggest dropping the warboss in favour of perhaps more shamans or a great shaman. Perhaps shift the fanatics to the spearmen.

I also must put in a word for goblin wolf chariots. I ran an 800pt list in a tournament with 2 units of three of them in and they were wiping out entire units just through impact hits. I ended up coming 2nd in the tournament out of about 30 people so I would highly reccomend them!

Anyway, good luck with your list! I love all Night Goblin armies and I am working on one myself at the moment, so keep us posted!