Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Project Logs (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/35-project-logs/)
-   -   Grey Knight Project - By SSG.House (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/project-logs/127878-grey-knight-project-ssg-house.html)

SSG.House 08-09-13 08:07 PM

Grey Knight Project - By SSG.House

3 Attachment(s)
This is my Grey Knight project. Im getting back into Warhammer 40k after several years.
Im sharing this to give you all some laughs and also to fish for advice. Im not a Master painter, or even a novice. Im going to be trying to paint these to the best of my ability, and look foreward to some positive feedback and tips etc.

Here is the army as it stands at this moment. Please note, I still have a Dreadnaught and 2 boxes of GKs in shipping. As mentioned in another thread I have no dedicated transports or Landraiders yet. (No fliers either ATM) Im going to save those for next month.
Im still trying to find a place or site I can buy my paints/washes etc from. I do have two cans of chaos black for the base coat.

Any help would be awesome.

SSG.House 08-09-13 08:26 PM

My intent origionally was to magnetize the heavy weapons, NDKs, and DNs, to allow for modularity. But quickly relized my brain doesnt soak up knowledge like it used to and the one person who was helping me I think got frustrated with my issues.

That plan has been scrapped, so now im going to figure a new way to maintain modularity based on what im going to be playing against.

Im thinking Im going to make 3 squads of 10 Strike Squads, and 1 Purifier...then next month purchase another 10 man squad and make them Interceptors.

As for the termies.... Im not so sure about......yet. I like the idea of the Paladins...but yet I need more research on the pros and cons. Ive been reading via these forums Termies suck in 6th ed. (My old Death Wing used to be walking tanks) But again I need more knowledge on this.

The Dreadnaughts I wanted to use as more of a ranged attacker, (Ive never used DNs so its new to me...more research is needed)

NDKs Close range I was thinking Infernos and Nem. Broadswords. (Like DNs I havent ever used and I need more research)

I want an Army, that can take and hold ground. I want hard hitting actions on objective, and violence of action. Any tips would be Awesome!

Ddraig Cymry 08-09-13 08:43 PM

Ah Grey Knights, where three different kits will make your whole army haha So what exactly are you trying to do? Find a way to use all the bits in the box rather than make some Knights permanently use a certain weapon? Really, Grey Knights will do anything you want them to do and more. You can play medium point lists and literally have a dozen models on the table, and you'll still be likely to win. Were you thinking of normal Grey Knight colors or a unique palette?

SSG.House 08-09-13 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry (Post 1403762)
Ah Grey Knights, where three different kits will make your whole army haha So what exactly are you trying to do? Find a way to use all the bits in the box rather than make some Knights permanently use a certain weapon? Really, Grey Knights will do anything you want them to do and more. You can play medium point lists and literally have a dozen models on the table, and you'll still be likely to win. Were you thinking of normal Grey Knight colors or a unique palette?

I really want to follow the GK paint scheme. But I would love to do some shading and highlighting to help them stand out. I dig the silver. And would love to try to put some blue into the over all finish.

What I origionally intended was to keep my GKs modular. The only items magnatized would've been the heavy weapons. Although the more I read the more I see people sticking to Psycannons and psyammo.
No I wasnt going to go nuts and use every bit. I was thinking long term bang for the buck. quick swapping of heavy weapon systems based on what I thought I would need against what ever fight I was going into, versus the cookie cutter psycannon/psyammo build.

I believe I spelled it out in my second post in the thread

Ddraig Cymry 08-09-13 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSG.House (Post 1403765)
I really want to follow the GK paint scheme. But I would love to do some shading and highlighting to help them stand out. I dig the silver. And would love to try to put some blue into the over all finish.

What I origionally intended was to keep my GKs modular. The only items magnatized would've been the heavy weapons. Although the more I read the more I see people sticking to Psycannons and psyammo.
No I wasnt going to go nuts and use every bit. I was thinking long term bang for the buck. quick swapping of heavy weapon systems based on what I thought I would need against what ever fight I was going into, versus the cookie cutter psycannon/psyammo build.

I believe I spelled it out in my second post in the thread

I see. Well then I'll give some opinions on what I think of your thoughts in that second post, I just wanted to make sure I knew exactly what you wanted to do before I offered anything.

Your idea for the Strike Squads and Purifiers is good, they'll be the base of a lot of solid lists.

The Terminators haven't really been nerfed, just changed. And with those changes are the difficulties of changing to a new edition. Grey Knights and their Terminators are still feasible in 6th, so I think you'll have fun and be a force to be reckoned with.

Dreadnoughts work well as long ranged support, so that part is totally doable.

The DreadKnight is a good beatstick for Greater Daemons, Monstrous Creatures, and anything else big enough to be a hassle for your standard troopers.

Overall you've got a good game plan here, can't wait to see your army painted up! I'd like to try an Inquisitorial Retinue army sometime. Just seem interesting.

SSG.House 08-09-13 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry (Post 1403777)
I see. Well then I'll give some opinions on what I think of your thoughts in that second post, I just wanted to make sure I knew exactly what you wanted to do before I offered anything.

Your idea for the Strike Squads and Purifiers is good, they'll be the base of a lot of solid lists.

The Terminators haven't really been nerfed, just changed. And with those changes are the difficulties of changing to a new edition. Grey Knights and their Terminators are still feasible in 6th, so I think you'll have fun and be a force to be reckoned with.

Dreadnoughts work well as long ranged support, so that part is totally doable.

The DreadKnight is a good beatstick for Greater Daemons, Monstrous Creatures, and anything else big enough to be a hassle for your standard troopers.

Overall you've got a good game plan here, can't wait to see your army painted up! I'd like to try an Inquisitorial Retinue army sometime. Just seem interesting.

Thanks for the encouragement! I do plan on posting pics by stage. And hopefully someone can point out things Im doing wrong and other useful tips to making these GKs stand out and get the paint they deserve.

This game has a steep learning curve. Im taking it in stages.

Ddraig Cymry 08-09-13 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSG.House (Post 1403782)
Thanks for the encouragement! I do plan on posting pics by stage. And hopefully someone can point out things Im doing wrong and other useful tips to making these GKs stand out and get the paint they deserve.

This game has a steep learning curve. Im taking it in stages.

Good plan, I introduced myself very gradually, 6th Edition rule first, then after reading it for like three months I had to decide on a codex, after that then I gradually bought models and kits.

Another thing to remember is to use Autocannons with Psybolt Ammunition (Twin-linked Autocannons are arguably better than the twin-linked Lascannon option). Assault Cannons are better for closer engagements, but still good.

SSG.House 08-19-13 12:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Busy weekend. Assembled 1 NDK, 1 Dreadnaught, and 20 GKs.
Priming and painting begins tomarrow.

Sorry the pic of the GKs in the padding is blurrymy tablet was about to die lol:dunno:

Ddraig Cymry 08-19-13 02:24 AM

Looking good so far!

SSG.House 08-19-13 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry (Post 1406097)
Looking good so far!

Thanks. Its been quite a while since I have put a model together, let alone a miniture. Im impressed by the amount of pieces and extras on the sprues. Think I will donate them to the forums.

Stupid question though. Im waiting on my rule book etc, all I have currently is the GK Codex. Does the big hammer and halbreds count as heavy weapons? Currently all of them cept 4 are armed with the NFS. Those 4 have Psicannons.
Its been several years since I have played or built an Army..