Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Television and Movies (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/174-television-movies/)
-   -   Ender's Game, The Movie (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/television-movies/127827-enders-game-movie.html)

High_Seraph 08-07-13 05:08 PM

Ender's Game, The Movie

So yeah could be decent but I have no idea how close it will follow the book though.

revilo44 08-15-13 07:33 PM

This looks good and i may go it. but most of the time in these films they put all the stuff that is in the book.

SSG.House 08-15-13 09:04 PM

I actually had to read the book in BNCOC ( Basic Non Commisioned Officers Course - Staff Sergeant school) for the Army. They wanted everyone to read it...mainly because the foreward was written by an Apache Pilot who wanted everyone to know....no matter how computerized warfare gets....its not a game.

Loved the book. Couldnt get into Speaker of the Dead though.
I hope the movie does the book justice...but so few do.

Djinn24 08-15-13 11:36 PM

Speaker if the dead takes a while to get into, about 100 the ages
The beginning is really weak and tends to drown in religious dogma.

I am curious how they shoot the:

Khorne's Fist 08-16-13 07:06 PM

Ender's Game is one of the finest novels of any genre I've ever read. I'm almost afraid to go and see it in case they've made a total shit of it.

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-16-13 08:24 PM

I am in the British army. I heard rumours that the book was used as mandatory reading for some other nations but to hear that's true is awesome!

Looking forwards to the film!

Rems 08-17-13 12:30 AM

I don't have high hopes for this remaining faithful to the book.

How, for example, are they going to include scenes like the naked shower fight. I don't see Hollywood green-lighting naked children killing one another. Also hilariously the trailer reveals the ending and climatic twist of the book.

Aside from content there's the way the book was written. They were was very little dialogue in the book and a lot of introspection, inner thinking etc. How do you portray that in a movie?

Magpie_Oz 08-17-13 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist (Post 1405561)
Ender's Game is one of the finest novels of any genre I've ever read. I'm almost afraid to go and see it in case they've made a total shit of it.

This is pretty much my feeling too. I'm still smarting from what Kevin "Wooden" Kostner did to "The Postman".

Just from the trailer alone I can see that the whole final twist of the book has been dumbed down for the lowest common denominator.

Just another shallow CGI fest it seems, which is ok as far as it goes but that's not all that far really.

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-17-13 09:27 PM

Well they have to make it American friendly lol.

Look at what they did to I Am Legend. Travesty. Travesty I tell you!! Nay! HERESY!

(Edit)

Watching that trailer again makes me worried for the film. Especially seeing as the whole plot of him not knowing it is real (and by extension us) is literally blown on a few seconds of trailer.....

Khorne's Fist 08-18-13 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus (Post 1405806)

Look at what they did to I Am Legend. Travesty. Travesty I tell you!! Nay! HERESY!

(Edit)

You should really put that last sentence in spoiler tags for those that haven't read the book. No point in giving out about spoilers in the trailer if you're going to spoil it yourself.

Wusword77 08-18-13 04:19 PM

Quote:

More like they're trying to make it appeal to a wider audience to make more money, which is the main goal of any Hollywood movie.

And I don't know how you can make a book more "American Friendly" when it's written by an American author who was born in Washington, teaches in Virginia, and lives in South Carolina.

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-18-13 05:49 PM

It is a common figure of speech reference the dumbing down of a storyline to fit a bigger audience, no offence meant.

Magpie_Oz 08-18-13 11:51 PM

There is the prior example of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" being released as the "Sorcerer's Stone" in the US market for what ever reason.

Djinn24 08-19-13 05:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus (Post 1405952)
It is a common figure of speech reference the dumbing down of a storyline to fit a bigger audience, no offence meant.

So making something American friendly means dumbing down the story.... But then you follow up with no offense meant...... Really?

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-19-13 06:28 AM

Yes it does and yes I did, it isn't my phrase its one that is commonly thrown about in media. Even the yank lads I used to study media with would use it, in fact I think it was the New York lad who was the first I heard using it.

Like I said, its just a phrase and I meant no offence by it.

Sort of how I hear Yanks say "teeth like a Brit" we don't all have bad teeth. Just in the past. Hollywood is American, Hollywood likes to dumb down plots to reach a bigger audience. Thinking on it its not really an attack on yanks but a phrase to describe the above practices.

Hope that makes sense. Massive description on a throw away comment for someone random on the web to show I didn't mean anything nasty :)

Djinn24 08-19-13 06:32 AM

Fair enough.

You are probably right that they will dumb down the plot line. I just read the book and probably should have waited until after it saw the movie.

Wusword77 08-23-13 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus (Post 1406132)
Hope that makes sense. Massive description on a throw away comment for someone random on the web to show I didn't mean anything nasty :)

I just love the idea of saying that Hollywood will "Americanize" an American Novel. How funny that statement is to me isn't right.

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-23-13 06:19 AM

Yep. Interesting. Can we finish discussing a phrase, it's origins and dissection of meaning and talk about the film again?

Djinn24 08-23-13 08:47 AM

I am still debating in if i will see it in the theater or wait to rent it.

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-23-13 09:25 AM

To be fair it takes something really special to pull me to the cinema now. The prices are getting ridiculous .

Plus a friend of a friend of a friend knows some really good streaming sites so I watch a lot of it at his.

Djinn24 08-23-13 11:33 AM

That is the same here. I would rather watch Planes instead of this in theater add i know my kids would love it.

Magpie_Oz 08-23-13 12:41 PM

I usually only go to the theatre if the movie is big on SFX, if it is more about the story I get it for home. Granted there aren't too many about that are more about story anymore.

I'm thinking this one will be a theatre one.

Djinn24 08-23-13 01:02 PM

Good way of thinking about it. I don't think i could have done The Life of Pi in theaters.

Magpie_Oz 08-23-13 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djinn24 (Post 1407384)
Good way of thinking about it. I don't think i could have done The Life of Pi in theaters.

I did. The whale scene was amazing but other than that I could have creeped out the family just as easily at home.

Djinn24 08-23-13 01:07 PM

Was it out in 3d? There where done scenes that would have been epic in 3d.

Magpie_Oz 08-23-13 01:11 PM

I'm not sure. 3D gives me a head ache so I only go "old school"

Djinn24 08-23-13 01:16 PM

I rarely watch 3d movies, it has to be special and something that i know will be epic in 3d

Magpie_Oz 08-23-13 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djinn24 (Post 1407397)
I rarely watch 3d movies, it has to be special and something that i know will be epic in 3d

Kind of a waste for us.

My father in law only has one eye, my wife is basically blind in one eye and I have an eye problem that doesn't allow me to see 3d with glasses on.

My son however tells me the movies look awesome ! lol

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-23-13 01:53 PM

The 3d gives me a headache too. Then I want to take the glasses off because they start getting irritating and I can't see anything lol.

emporershand89 09-09-13 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus (Post 1405586)
I am in the British army. I heard rumours that the book was used as mandatory reading for some other nations but to hear that's true is awesome!

I was actually made to read the book when I entered Officer Candidate School. Not sure if that was SOP, but I read it in 2 days honestly; boring read.

On that note, OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!! I am excited at such a good looking movie. When are they going to do Artemis Fowl?

Chaplain-Grimaldus 09-09-13 07:32 AM

Haha +1 to that, Fowl will be a great film!

emporershand89 09-29-13 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus (Post 1411847)
Haha

Seriously it would be!! Of all the books I remember reading when I was younger Artemis Fowl really stuck. It was not only kid appropriate, but enjoyable for adults. i reread it quite a few times in high school.

But back to topic, didn't Ender's Game come under fire recently over the anti-Gay content in the original book? Anyone know more on that?

Kreuger 09-29-13 12:57 PM

There isn't much in the way of anti gay content in the book. The movie came under fire because the author is generally anti-gay and specifically anti-gay marriage.

bitsandkits 03-11-14 09:30 AM

watched this film last night, what a load of shite, seriously total rubbish, avoid! dont know what the book is like but the film sucks ass.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!