Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Television and Movies (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/174-television-movies/)
-   -   Ender's Game, The Movie (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/television-movies/127827-enders-game-movie.html)

Wusword77 08-18-13 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus (Post 1405806)
Well they have to make it American friendly lol.

More like they're trying to make it appeal to a wider audience to make more money, which is the main goal of any Hollywood movie.

And I don't know how you can make a book more "American Friendly" when it's written by an American author who was born in Washington, teaches in Virginia, and lives in South Carolina.

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-18-13 05:49 PM

It is a common figure of speech reference the dumbing down of a storyline to fit a bigger audience, no offence meant.

Magpie_Oz 08-18-13 11:51 PM

There is the prior example of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" being released as the "Sorcerer's Stone" in the US market for what ever reason.

Djinn24 08-19-13 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus (Post 1405806)
Well they have to make it American friendly lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus (Post 1405952)
It is a common figure of speech reference the dumbing down of a storyline to fit a bigger audience, no offence meant.

So making something American friendly means dumbing down the story.... But then you follow up with no offense meant...... Really?

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-19-13 06:28 AM

Yes it does and yes I did, it isn't my phrase its one that is commonly thrown about in media. Even the yank lads I used to study media with would use it, in fact I think it was the New York lad who was the first I heard using it.

Like I said, its just a phrase and I meant no offence by it.

Sort of how I hear Yanks say "teeth like a Brit" we don't all have bad teeth. Just in the past. Hollywood is American, Hollywood likes to dumb down plots to reach a bigger audience. Thinking on it its not really an attack on yanks but a phrase to describe the above practices.

Hope that makes sense. Massive description on a throw away comment for someone random on the web to show I didn't mean anything nasty :)

Djinn24 08-19-13 06:32 AM

Fair enough.

You are probably right that they will dumb down the plot line. I just read the book and probably should have waited until after it saw the movie.

Wusword77 08-23-13 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus (Post 1406132)
Hope that makes sense. Massive description on a throw away comment for someone random on the web to show I didn't mean anything nasty :)

I just love the idea of saying that Hollywood will "Americanize" an American Novel. How funny that statement is to me isn't right.

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-23-13 06:19 AM

Yep. Interesting. Can we finish discussing a phrase, it's origins and dissection of meaning and talk about the film again?

Djinn24 08-23-13 08:47 AM

I am still debating in if i will see it in the theater or wait to rent it.

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-23-13 09:25 AM

To be fair it takes something really special to pull me to the cinema now. The prices are getting ridiculous .

Plus a friend of a friend of a friend knows some really good streaming sites so I watch a lot of it at his.