Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Television and Movies (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/174-television-movies/)
-   -   Ender's Game, The Movie (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/television-movies/127827-enders-game-movie.html)

High_Seraph 08-07-13 05:08 PM

Ender's Game, The Movie

So yeah could be decent but I have no idea how close it will follow the book though.

revilo44 08-15-13 07:33 PM

This looks good and i may go it. but most of the time in these films they put all the stuff that is in the book.

SSG.House 08-15-13 09:04 PM

I actually had to read the book in BNCOC ( Basic Non Commisioned Officers Course - Staff Sergeant school) for the Army. They wanted everyone to read it...mainly because the foreward was written by an Apache Pilot who wanted everyone to know....no matter how computerized warfare gets....its not a game.

Loved the book. Couldnt get into Speaker of the Dead though.
I hope the movie does the book justice...but so few do.

Djinn24 08-15-13 11:36 PM

Speaker if the dead takes a while to get into, about 100 the ages
The beginning is really weak and tends to drown in religious dogma.

I am curious how they shoot the:

Khorne's Fist 08-16-13 07:06 PM

Ender's Game is one of the finest novels of any genre I've ever read. I'm almost afraid to go and see it in case they've made a total shit of it.

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-16-13 08:24 PM

I am in the British army. I heard rumours that the book was used as mandatory reading for some other nations but to hear that's true is awesome!

Looking forwards to the film!

Rems 08-17-13 12:30 AM

I don't have high hopes for this remaining faithful to the book.

How, for example, are they going to include scenes like the naked shower fight. I don't see Hollywood green-lighting naked children killing one another. Also hilariously the trailer reveals the ending and climatic twist of the book.

Aside from content there's the way the book was written. They were was very little dialogue in the book and a lot of introspection, inner thinking etc. How do you portray that in a movie?

Magpie_Oz 08-17-13 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist (Post 1405561)
Ender's Game is one of the finest novels of any genre I've ever read. I'm almost afraid to go and see it in case they've made a total shit of it.

This is pretty much my feeling too. I'm still smarting from what Kevin "Wooden" Kostner did to "The Postman".

Just from the trailer alone I can see that the whole final twist of the book has been dumbed down for the lowest common denominator.

Just another shallow CGI fest it seems, which is ok as far as it goes but that's not all that far really.

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-17-13 09:27 PM

Well they have to make it American friendly lol.

Look at what they did to I Am Legend. Travesty. Travesty I tell you!! Nay! HERESY!

(Edit)

Watching that trailer again makes me worried for the film. Especially seeing as the whole plot of him not knowing it is real (and by extension us) is literally blown on a few seconds of trailer.....

Khorne's Fist 08-18-13 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus (Post 1405806)
Well they have to make it American friendly lol.

Look at what they did to I Am Legend. Travesty. Travesty I tell you!! Nay! HERESY!

(Edit)

You should really put that last sentence in spoiler tags for those that haven't read the book. No point in giving out about spoilers in the trailer if you're going to spoil it yourself.