Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Black Library Fiction (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/108-black-library-fiction/)
-   -   Scars - New serialized HH novel in twelve parts (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/black-library-fiction/127817-scars-new-serialized-hh-novel-twelve-parts.html)

Brother Lucian 08-07-13 12:25 PM

Scars - New serialized HH novel in twelve parts

http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/BL-HH-Scars

Ok, this was unexpected for sure. Though I think Im personally going to wait till all parts is out at once. Getting too much of a hassle to buy digital mondays stuff weekly, and now this every wednesday. Id rather buy it in a bigger batch.

tabbytomo 08-07-13 12:52 PM

I Agree, I'd even prefer them to bang them in a HH collection novel...

Doelago 08-07-13 01:05 PM

So 36€ for one ebook? Go fuck yourselves. Now they are just milking the series for the sake of it.

March of Time 08-07-13 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doelago (Post 1402857)
So 36 for one ebook? Go fuck yourselves. Now they are just milking the series for the sake of it.

You should move to the UK it would only cost you 21 for all 12 episodes :grin:

Child-of-the-Emperor 08-07-13 03:42 PM

So these 12 "episodes" will make-up the entire Scars novel?

Loli 08-07-13 03:45 PM

It's an interesting approach to a release I'll give them that. But I'll just wait for a full version and I imagine I'm not alone in this.

Sequere_me_in_Tenebras 08-07-13 04:18 PM

I believe BL's plan is to release this into monthly serialised chapters - then release the whole book as a full novel.

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-07-13 04:22 PM

Think I will wait too. Also waiting for the soft back of Vulkan lives too.

Child-of-the-Emperor 08-07-13 05:04 PM

I'm really tempted to start on these Ebooks, but if it's good I'll get annoyed that I have to wait another week for the next part!

Brother Lucian 08-07-13 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sequere_me_in_Tenebras (Post 1402909)
I believe BL's plan is to release this into monthly serialised chapters - then release the whole book as a full novel.

They would release a new episode every wednesday, so it would take 3 months roughly for the full book to be out.

Djinn24 08-07-13 05:45 PM

The other Founding Fields reviewers are really enjoying the first part so far.

MontytheMighty 08-08-13 05:10 AM

I wouldn't mind a serialised novel but the price for one installment is ridiculous....

They better release the complete novel at some point

EDIT: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scars-Horus-Heresy-Chris-Wraight/dp/1849706042/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375728772&sr=1-1
Amazon UK indicates that the complete novel will be released in paperback in May 2014. That probably means hardback will likely be released in Feb. 2014.

Some spoilers of the first episode courtesy of another forum:

Jacobite 08-08-13 05:37 AM

6 AUD per ebook and there is 12 instalments? So what's that? 6 x 12 = 72 AUD which at current exchange rates = 82 NZD... for an ebook?

So I figured out what the Khan is saying in the cover artwork guys... Two options:

1) He's laughing at any chump down under who is willing to buy this over priced shite
2) He's screaming "FUCK YOU!" to the accounts department on the basis that he wants his story to be told but it won't because of their love for attempting to bend over the Aussies and Kiwis and get every last possible dollar they think they can outa them.

(In comparison 1.50 GBP is equalling a little under 3 NZD at the moment so that's 36 NZD total).

I thought ebooks were supposed to be a more affordable and accessible form of literary distribution due to lower overheads and distribution costs. Guess I was wrong about that then wasn't I?

Djinn24 and I were talking about this in TWG chat and he made the comment that they might be attempting to do what Stephen King did with "The Dark Tower" with this type of release. Well I'm sorry, I'm not an expert on Chris Wraight and I don't mean anything personal by this, but I don't think he's Stephen god dam King! Now I understand historically a lot of sci-fi and Fantasy was released like this: in serials, now if GW/BL wants to go back to the good old days I humbly suggest they start somewhere else in their business model.

MontytheMighty 08-08-13 05:50 AM

Serialisation is great and Wraight is a fine authour...what's fu**ed up is the absurd price. 36USD for an ebook novel, really?!

A reasonable price would be $1 for an installment (that way you're still paying $12 for an ebook). I paid $8 for the complete ebook of Fear to Tread. I understand the series is getting more popular and I'm willing to pay more ($10 to $15) but not that much more...never $36 for an ebook.

Jacobite 08-08-13 06:17 AM

Popular means the justification in a price rise? For an ebook? If it's so popular it'll cause the BL server to crash sure but otherwise I fail to see the logic in that.

MontytheMighty 08-08-13 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobite (Post 1403153)
Popular means the justification in a price rise? For an ebook? If it's so popular it'll cause the BL server to crash sure but otherwise I fail to see the logic in that.

Greater popularity as in greater demand. BL can make more profit selling at a higher price if demand for their products rises by enough. I'm not talking about ethical justifications, only economic ones.

Thing is...I doubt BL will be making more profit with $3 installments than with $2 or maybe even $1 installments, but maybe they have business data suggesting otherwise. If no one is willing to pay $3 per installment, BL might consider lowering the price in the future

Squire 08-08-13 06:36 AM

I can see the appeal of finishing one part of a book and then waiting for the next part a few days later (anticipation is often half the enjoyment) but having to buy a book 12 times seems like a massive pain in the arse

Jacobite 08-08-13 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 1403156)
Greater popularity as in greater demand. BL can make more profit selling at a higher price if demand for their products rises by enough. I'm not talking about ethical justifications, only economic ones.

I understand the basics of it however we aren't dealing with a physical product here where are dealing with data. Linking price to demand has always been in relation to supply and cost. Now BL are always going to being selling this at a price point where they make a profit on it after selling X amount of units and they know they will make that target, so that takes care of cost. There is a realistically an nigh on unlimited supply of that ebook available. They don't have to print, bind, package, ship or stock any physical product. In relation to the digital product there is very little cost to it as they all ready have those system's in place. The only thing that could conceivably cause supply to stop is a full server crash and if BL are pinning their hopes on upgrading their servers on this one ebook then I really question their overall business plan.

"BL can make more profit selling at a lower price if demand for their products rises by enough." - is just as true a statement, they lower the price more people might be inclined to buy it.

MontytheMighty 08-08-13 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobite (Post 1403162)
"BL can make more profit selling at a lower price if demand for their products rises by enough." - is just as true a statement, they lower the price more people might be inclined to buy it.

It sounds like you're talking about movement along the demand curve (i.e. selling more units at a lower price vs. selling fewer units at a higher price). However, once "demand increases" (i.e. when the whole demand curve shifts to the right), it's possible for consumers to buy more units at a higher price because graphically, the new demand curve is now "outside" the old one.

I don't want to get into all the graphs, but in the real world, it's rare for a company to lower the price of a product if demand for that product skyrockets. The company will usually maximise profit by selling at a higher price. However, the company might misjudge and raise the price by too much.

There's no denying that the popularity of the Horus Heresy has grown over the past few years. Does it justify selling 1/12 of a novel for $3 ($36 for one novel)? I don't think so. I think in this case, BL would probably make more profit by lowering the price (which would trigger movement along the new demand curve). Maybe $1.5 or $2, which I think they can get away with now. 5 years ago, I think 1/12 of a novel would've been selling for less than $1.

Sequere_me_in_Tenebras 08-08-13 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Lucian (Post 1402934)
They would release a new episode every wednesday, so it would take 3 months roughly for the full book to be out.

Every Wednesday, it'll be like Christmas... without the wrapping and unwanted presents.

Stephen74 08-08-13 03:59 PM

I thought, good idea, and bought part 1 before realising what a bloody typical GW shaft you for your money con this is.

I initially thought 10 episodes for some reason, so 15 for a book, but its twelve, so 18 for a book. SOD OFF.

Stephen74 08-08-13 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobite (Post 1403146)
6 AUD per ebook and there is 12 instalments? So what's that? 6 x 12 = 72 AUD which at current exchange rates = 82 NZD... for an ebook?

I thought ebooks were supposed to be a more affordable and accessible form of literary distribution due to lower overheads and distribution costs. Guess I was wrong about that then wasn't I?

:shok: That really is taking the piss. I can understand why a product would cost more in far away places because of transport costs getting things there but this is a sodding e-book. It should be the same price where ever you go (with small variations due to local taxation)

MontytheMighty 08-09-13 04:36 AM

$3 per installment is quite absurd really. I think BL might make more money by selling these installments at a more reasonable price.

BL probably thinks that a White Scars HH novel only appeals to a niche market (desperate White Scars fans who will pay anything to read such a novel). I can't agree with BL's approach.

sadLor 08-09-13 07:44 AM

Ok, I had a really long bus ride so I said 'screw it' and bought the first episode so I would have something to read.

I'm not going to say if it was worth it or not...everyone has different amounts of money they can spend.

However, I would say that Ep 1 is good in that there isn't a huge cliffhanger. There's actually a little story arc that finishes by the last page.

As for quality? Obviously, it's only the first 1/12th of the book but comparing this introduction to every other HH book... I'll put it in the top 5.

The author does something really unique here. It's written from perspectives that are fascinating to read. I'm honestly surprised other authors hadn't done it more. I haven't read a lot of stuff from CW before but it's very well-written and I enjoyed the prose. I just finished Angel Ex and the difference in writing style is...jarring to say the least.

Very minor spoilers (no names are used)

Stephen74 08-09-13 01:57 PM

Even better - my kobo wont recognise Black Library as a safe site and I cant download the damn thing and I cant find my lead to connect to the pc - grrrr.

kwak76 08-10-13 01:08 AM

For 12 installments at $2.99 a piece comes out to be $35.88 for the whole thing. A bit overprice for a e-book.

I think I would of brought it for half the price which I think is allot more reasonable.

HamsterExAstris 08-10-13 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 1403182)
I think in this case, BL would probably make more profit by lowering the price (which would trigger movement along the new demand curve). Maybe $1.5 or $2, which I think they can get away with now. 5 years ago, I think 1/12 of a novel would've been selling for less than $1.

You also have to keep in mind the money Black Library loses to the credit card processor. If the person buys just the ebook and nothing else, BL gets about $0.65 of a $1 transaction. At $3, they keep more like $2.60.

As long as BL sells at least 25% as many copies at $3 as they would at $1, it's a wash ($2.60 profit either way). And if they sell more, BL comes out ahead of the game.

MontytheMighty 08-10-13 07:40 PM

Sequere_me_in_Tenebras 08-10-13 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 1403973)

It seems from reviews that the opening chapters are looking good. Hopefully "Scars" will continue the same.

That's the first time I've seen reviewers comment upon BL's digital pricing (in regards to this release). I personally don't buy digital, so have no clue what the 'going rate' is for a full novel. Even if I had a Kindle or iPad, I'd be waiting for the full novel given the full price of buying all 12 chapters. As one reviewer commented, it's a impulse buy.

Do you think it's worth the X-amount of extra or $ to read this novel in advance?

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-11-13 12:23 AM

Nope. And that's why they keep bringing out the hardback a good month to two before the softback. They know people will snap it up because they can't wait.

I can :)

Doelago 08-11-13 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sequere_me_in_Tenebras (Post 1404004)
Do you think it's worth the X-amount of extra or $ to read this novel in advance?

No. When you can get the Hardback AND paperback version for the same price as the ebook version its fucked.

Words_of_Truth 08-11-13 11:52 AM

I'm enjoying it, really depends if you want to enjoy the ride and properly read each chapter or get the book (has it been confirmed the price of it yet or are you going off average?) later.

HamsterExAstris 08-11-13 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth (Post 1404101)
I'm enjoying it, really depends if you want to enjoy the ride and properly read each chapter or get the book (has it been confirmed the price of it yet or are you going off average?) later.

Price of the trade paperback has been confirmed. Price of the hardcover and mass-market paperback haven't been yet.

The Scion of Chemos 08-11-13 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus (Post 1404029)
Nope. And that's why they keep bringing out the hardback a good month to two before the softback. They know people will snap it up because they can't wait.

I can :)

There are also people who prefer the hardback, such as myself. So there is more to that than just the impulse buy they are hoping for.

Though I do think in this case, BL might be pushing the "getting it early = higher cost" thing.
I think $2.00-$2.50 is a little more reasonable.

Sequere_me_in_Tenebras 08-11-13 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doelago (Post 1404058)
No. When you can get the Hardback AND paperback version for the same price as the ebook version its fucked.

Completely agree Doelago. I've no issue with serializing a novel, it's something different - however the final price is taking the piss out of fans of the HH series. It's a money drain, I understand that is what is a business is about... however for me, they should really refocus their efforts on pricing and perhaps make future releases more readily known (other than Amazon).

Words_of_Truth 08-11-13 09:19 PM

It's got to the point for me where I've stopped thinking about the cash and just started enjoying the hobby and the books, that may sound selfish but the more I dwell on it the more it ruins it for me.

MontytheMighty 08-12-13 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadLor (Post 1403560)

Chaplain-Grimaldus 08-12-13 05:34 AM

I think its a case of use up who ever was left in the training system before they went exclusively Chogoris.

Words_of_Truth 08-12-13 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 1404343)

Paceyjg 08-12-13 07:06 PM

BL will try it on to see if they can make extra cash. There are no going to be any extra overheads to do it this way so its an inexpensive gamble.

If no one buys it then they will drop the idea and get back to publishing books for more realistic prices.

Vote with your wallet and don't get sucked in :threaten: