Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Black Library Fiction (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/108-black-library-fiction/)
-   -   Scars - New serialized HH novel in twelve parts (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/black-library-fiction/127817-scars-new-serialized-hh-novel-twelve-parts.html)

Djinn24 08-07-13 05:45 PM

The other Founding Fields reviewers are really enjoying the first part so far.

MontytheMighty 08-08-13 05:10 AM

I wouldn't mind a serialised novel but the price for one installment is ridiculous....

They better release the complete novel at some point

EDIT: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scars-Horus-Heresy-Chris-Wraight/dp/1849706042/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375728772&sr=1-1
Amazon UK indicates that the complete novel will be released in paperback in May 2014. That probably means hardback will likely be released in Feb. 2014.

Some spoilers of the first episode courtesy of another forum:

Jacobite 08-08-13 05:37 AM

6 AUD per ebook and there is 12 instalments? So what's that? 6 x 12 = 72 AUD which at current exchange rates = 82 NZD... for an ebook?

So I figured out what the Khan is saying in the cover artwork guys... Two options:

1) He's laughing at any chump down under who is willing to buy this over priced shite
2) He's screaming "FUCK YOU!" to the accounts department on the basis that he wants his story to be told but it won't because of their love for attempting to bend over the Aussies and Kiwis and get every last possible dollar they think they can outa them.

(In comparison 1.50 GBP is equalling a little under 3 NZD at the moment so that's 36 NZD total).

I thought ebooks were supposed to be a more affordable and accessible form of literary distribution due to lower overheads and distribution costs. Guess I was wrong about that then wasn't I?

Djinn24 and I were talking about this in TWG chat and he made the comment that they might be attempting to do what Stephen King did with "The Dark Tower" with this type of release. Well I'm sorry, I'm not an expert on Chris Wraight and I don't mean anything personal by this, but I don't think he's Stephen god dam King! Now I understand historically a lot of sci-fi and Fantasy was released like this: in serials, now if GW/BL wants to go back to the good old days I humbly suggest they start somewhere else in their business model.

MontytheMighty 08-08-13 05:50 AM

Serialisation is great and Wraight is a fine authour...what's fu**ed up is the absurd price. 36USD for an ebook novel, really?!

A reasonable price would be $1 for an installment (that way you're still paying $12 for an ebook). I paid $8 for the complete ebook of Fear to Tread. I understand the series is getting more popular and I'm willing to pay more ($10 to $15) but not that much more...never $36 for an ebook.

Jacobite 08-08-13 06:17 AM

Popular means the justification in a price rise? For an ebook? If it's so popular it'll cause the BL server to crash sure but otherwise I fail to see the logic in that.

MontytheMighty 08-08-13 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobite (Post 1403153)
Popular means the justification in a price rise? For an ebook? If it's so popular it'll cause the BL server to crash sure but otherwise I fail to see the logic in that.

Greater popularity as in greater demand. BL can make more profit selling at a higher price if demand for their products rises by enough. I'm not talking about ethical justifications, only economic ones.

Thing is...I doubt BL will be making more profit with $3 installments than with $2 or maybe even $1 installments, but maybe they have business data suggesting otherwise. If no one is willing to pay $3 per installment, BL might consider lowering the price in the future

Squire 08-08-13 06:36 AM

I can see the appeal of finishing one part of a book and then waiting for the next part a few days later (anticipation is often half the enjoyment) but having to buy a book 12 times seems like a massive pain in the arse

Jacobite 08-08-13 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 1403156)
Greater popularity as in greater demand. BL can make more profit selling at a higher price if demand for their products rises by enough. I'm not talking about ethical justifications, only economic ones.

I understand the basics of it however we aren't dealing with a physical product here where are dealing with data. Linking price to demand has always been in relation to supply and cost. Now BL are always going to being selling this at a price point where they make a profit on it after selling X amount of units and they know they will make that target, so that takes care of cost. There is a realistically an nigh on unlimited supply of that ebook available. They don't have to print, bind, package, ship or stock any physical product. In relation to the digital product there is very little cost to it as they all ready have those system's in place. The only thing that could conceivably cause supply to stop is a full server crash and if BL are pinning their hopes on upgrading their servers on this one ebook then I really question their overall business plan.

"BL can make more profit selling at a lower price if demand for their products rises by enough." - is just as true a statement, they lower the price more people might be inclined to buy it.

MontytheMighty 08-08-13 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobite (Post 1403162)
"BL can make more profit selling at a lower price if demand for their products rises by enough." - is just as true a statement, they lower the price more people might be inclined to buy it.

It sounds like you're talking about movement along the demand curve (i.e. selling more units at a lower price vs. selling fewer units at a higher price). However, once "demand increases" (i.e. when the whole demand curve shifts to the right), it's possible for consumers to buy more units at a higher price because graphically, the new demand curve is now "outside" the old one.

I don't want to get into all the graphs, but in the real world, it's rare for a company to lower the price of a product if demand for that product skyrockets. The company will usually maximise profit by selling at a higher price. However, the company might misjudge and raise the price by too much.

There's no denying that the popularity of the Horus Heresy has grown over the past few years. Does it justify selling 1/12 of a novel for $3 ($36 for one novel)? I don't think so. I think in this case, BL would probably make more profit by lowering the price (which would trigger movement along the new demand curve). Maybe $1.5 or $2, which I think they can get away with now. 5 years ago, I think 1/12 of a novel would've been selling for less than $1.

Sequere_me_in_Tenebras 08-08-13 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Lucian (Post 1402934)
They would release a new episode every wednesday, so it would take 3 months roughly for the full book to be out.

Every Wednesday, it'll be like Christmas... without the wrapping and unwanted presents.