Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Television and Movies (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/174-television-movies/)
-   -   Peter Capaldi to be the 12th Doctor. (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/television-movies/127687-peter-capaldi-12th-doctor.html)

GrizBe 08-04-13 06:41 PM

Peter Capaldi to be the 12th Doctor.

So... the replacement for Matt Smith has been announced to be Peter Capaldi.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23570354

Personally, I think they've made a big mistake here. He's never been in anything that I've liked, and that includes his stints in the fires of Pompeii Doctor Who episode, and his appearance in Torchwood's Children of Earth arc.... Hell. I'd rather they'd have made the Doctor a black woman then Capaldi.

Stella Cadente 08-04-13 06:54 PM

Who?........should of picked Ross Kemp

Lord of the Night 08-04-13 07:27 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Hm interesting. I'll give the show another try when he comes on, I haven't enjoyed a DW episode since David Tennant left. The writing just got childish and annoying. Perhaps things will be different now.

LotN

Jacobite 08-04-13 11:32 PM

I might be actually tempted to watch this now. It's always been a bit too light for me, hopefully PC changes that. He was the best thing about the Thick of It and loved him as Sid's Dad in the first two seasons of Skins.

chromedog 08-05-13 12:48 AM

So who is Peter Capaldi and what has he been in that I might have seen?

I didn't get around to seeing Children of Earth (didn't realise it was on UKTV here and only saw part of the last episode of it as a result. UKTV is where the Eastenders, Hollyoaks, and all the other dismal soaps and TV shows live).

I don't think I saw "fires of pompeii" - but I've never been a die-hard who fan who had to watch every episode. There were times I'd rather watch warehouse 13 than who (and I don't like WH13).

Bane_of_Kings 08-05-13 07:07 PM

This is actually pretty interesting, having not seen anything from Capaldi in the past (aside from appearance in DW), I've been watching a few of his clips on Youtube, and aside from me now wanting to see The Thick of It, I think he'd be a great choice.

chromedog 08-06-13 12:19 AM

Link less than helpful to those outside the UK.
The beeb has declared that us former colonials can't watch the clip.

bitsandkits 08-06-13 05:35 AM

hes a strong and capable actor and will give back us back the more traditional older doctor , i think its a good move, hopefully we might a shift in the writing towards a more mature story lines rather than mad cap running around and wearing a fez.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

arlins 08-06-13 07:31 AM

im glad he,s onboard and when they introduced him on sunday night he rubbed his collar
( this was a habit Hartnells Doctor used to do ) , hopefully this is a hint he,s taking it back to a more traditional doctor ( or just a nod at Dr Who,s history ) .
Was not keen on the lets run around using silly sentances ( bendy wendy timey wimey ??) type episodes we,ve been having and I hope to see a tad darker episodes in the new run .

Nordicus 08-06-13 08:43 AM

I must admit, while he will probably make a great Doctor, that I'm a bit disheartened by this. And this is only due to Torchwood.

Now before I rant on, I know that all previous companions and Doctors have been on the show in some incarnation or another. But this guy's a different deal.

He was on one episode in Doctor Who (oh well, that's fine) but he was a major Character in Torchwood season 3. Seeing as Torchwood is a spinoff of Doctor Who and official Whovian universe canon, they are using the same actor from a major series in the same universe, to now portrait the Doctor? That's a stretch even for this series (which is saying alot).

I will look forward to see them adressing this, becuase otherwise it seems like they are completely ignoring Torchwood and all the canon in that series. And that would make me a very sad panda, as I enjoy that part of the Whovian universe too :(

bitsandkits 08-06-13 09:57 AM

hes also played a doctor working for W.H.O in World war Z, the torchwood thing doesnt sit well with me either but then again after watching the last series they did ,i have erased all memory of the spin off from my brain.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

GrizBe 08-06-13 10:24 AM

Yeah.. thanks to the Americanised crap that was 'Miracle Day', I believe they're trying to write Torchwood out of canon.... or at least ignore it as much as possible.

Personally, I'm still not sure what to make of this. Having had some time to think it over now, I'm still rather worried about the choice. While I loved the 'silliness' of recent series, I do admit that it was getting a bit OTT. Doctor Who is meant to be scarey, and the over abundance of comedy has been loosing that of late.

Now... For those of Doctor Who lore... could this be something of the 'Valeyard' Doctor? The Valeyard was meant to be an incarnation of the Doctors darker side between his 12th and final incarnations.... with Capaldi being the 12th Doctor, and John Hurts dark version appearing... maybe they are going the darker route with the character?

Anyway.. I'm willing to give him a chance, but his previous acting isn't giving me any hope.

Nordicus 08-06-13 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrizBe (Post 1402544)
Now... For those of Doctor Who lore... could this be something of the 'Valeyard' Doctor? The Valeyard was meant to be an incarnation of the Doctors darker side between his 12th and final incarnations.... with Capaldi being the 12th Doctor, and John Hurts dark version appearing... maybe they are going the darker route with the character?

It would make sense, even though John Hurt has been confirmed to the Doctor that is between the 8th and the 9th. The Doctor that reincarnates into Christopher Ecclestons Doctor. Whether he's a old 8th incarnation or a hidden 9th, remains to be revealed.

I believe they will take it a darker route now - They have been ramping up on the issue of his character since the 2nd season of Tennants Doctor and it's reaching a stage where a darker stage is inevitable.

scscofield 08-07-13 01:16 AM

Jacobite 08-07-13 01:33 AM

Field if that happens consider me the worst biggest Doctor Who fan from now on!

GrizBe 08-07-13 09:27 AM

That's precisely why I'm worried about him being the new Doctor.... cool as it may be, behaving like that just isn't the Doctor and I'm afraid every time I watch him, I'll be expecting an outburst like that.

LazyG 08-07-13 10:11 AM

A side note, a friend of mine acted with him quite recently, apparently despite his Malcolm Tucker persona he is an incredibly nice ghuy, and _npt_ your typical uber-ego actor twat. That cheered me a lot.

Not been a fan of Who since Tenant left (because he was a real actor) and I'd say this has the chance to get back to some high grade acting.

Loli 08-07-13 02:42 PM

Simply put from my personal view this is nothing but a good thing since I'll actually watch Dr Who again, or the the least give it a try.

I didn't like Matt Smith, his Dr never seemed to have control of any situation and just ran around saying random phrases simply to illicit humour but failed. Though if Moffat is still writing it will still be a negative since it didn't help the current soon to be previous era either.

But I like Capaldi in most things so I'm happy with this.

GrizBe 08-07-13 04:01 PM

I can't understand why people didn't like Matt Smith for any reason other then 'he's not David Tennant'.

Then I suppose its like those of us who've been fans since the original... We get the same debates about Pertwee and Baker and Troughton and Hartnell and so on...

Oh.. and I'll point out that Smith is a proper actor. He appeared in plenty of theatre productions in leading rolls for the Royal National Theatre before he got the Who role.

Loli 08-07-13 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrizBe (Post 1402923)
I can't understand why people didn't like Matt Smith for any reason other then 'he's not David Tennant'.

I gave reason of why I dislike Matt Smith and seeing as Eccleston is my favourite out of the three that statement to me is crap.

LazyG 08-07-13 10:08 PM

Quote:

I can't understand why people didn't like Matt Smith for any reason other then 'he's not as good as David Tennant'.

Fixed that for you. :) No seriously, it is just personal preference. I like some chocolate bars not others. I like some actors not others. My issue with new who is it seems facile, and while i know moffat has issues i thought that Russell T Davies was abysmal. I am so-so on the whole new Who and i found torchwood unwatchable bad. That said, the better bits of the Tennant eps i liked, and Eccleston was passable. Both actos convinced me, Smith doesn't. Also been a fan of Tennant since '94 when he was amazing in a drama called Takin over the asylum (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takin%27_Over_the_Asylum ) with Ken Stott.

Quote:

Then I suppose its like those of us who've been fans since the original... We get the same debates about Pertwee and Baker and Troughton and Hartnell and so on...

Wel Baker... obviously! :) I remember old who as well, and i always found baker the most charismatic.

GrizBe 08-07-13 10:31 PM

For me personally, I prefer Smith to Tennant, simply because he's more quirky and harkens back more to the Doctors of old... Like Baker. (Tom Baker that is, not the other one). Think most people would agree though that both were better then Eccleston. While he was a good Doctor to reboot the series with, he didn't have the charisma to carry it like Tennant and Smith.

I believe most people prefer Tennant, simply as he was the Doctor when the show started to really take off in popularity again.

Anyway.... Baker, the 4th Doctor was certainly the best in my opinion. Quirky, charismatic, yet perfectly capable of doing dark if he had to.

scscofield 08-08-13 01:40 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...26137473_n.jpg

:-p sorry, my only experience with Dr. Who was old shows of it on PBS with some really curly haired guy wearing a scarf as the Dr. back in the 80's. I just find these pics funny and they are sorta relevant to the topic.

LazyG 08-08-13 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrizBe (Post 1403068)
Anyway.... Baker, the 4th Doctor was certainly the best in my opinion. Quirky, charismatic, yet perfectly capable of doing dark if he had to.

Amen brother.

SSG.House 08-08-13 04:13 PM

I usedto watch Dr. Who on PBS in mid to late 80s. Never truely got into it, but I found it amusing.
I was more into Red Dwarf.

Hopefully it will be on BBC America at a resonable time

GrizBe 08-08-13 06:37 PM

I know the 50th anniversary episode is meant to be simulcast at the same time as its shown here in the UK... heard rumours they want to do this with the next series too.

But yes, Red Dwarf is also awesome....

*twitch* *lightbulb*

Dear Stephen Moffet,

Please write a Doctor Who and Red Dwarf crossover episode.

Thankyou.

MidnightSun 08-20-13 06:05 PM

317 Attachment(s)

That is why I never watched Doctor Who after Matt Smith took over. Neither he or the script for that series could produce anything half as good as that scene.

Midnight

Tawa 08-20-13 07:28 PM

I think they should have picked Ardal O'Hanlon as the next doctor......