Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   What squicks you out the most about Warhammer 40.000? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/127382-what-squicks-you-out-most-about-warhammer-40-000-a.html)

Apostle 07-30-13 10:55 AM

The (What I believe to be almost certain to be true) head authors and editors of Black Library will not finish the Heresy story and fill it out, until we stop caring and they need the extra cash.) That could happen in twenty or thirty years when we stop obsessing (I am as guilty as most). They don't want to finish story lines because then they get paid less as a company. Anyone who thinks GW and BL are a company that doesn't do this for money is incorrect. I think it might even take seven standard years (in real life) to even start the actual battle of Terra. Get read to wait forever, it's a business. Just because they are creative and sometimes great authors does NOT MEAN they give a damn if we get our answers quickly.

Nordicus 07-30-13 11:53 AM

The most disturbing? Probably the fact that if Gahzgkull Thraka got his head on straight, he could unite the Orks and take over the entire galaxy. That the only reason they haven't done so already, is because they can't communicate properly with each other.

Damned be Chaos, Tyranids, Necrons and everything else. They would be beaten by creatures that believe that the color yellow on a bazooka makes it produce a bigger boom.

chromedog 07-30-13 12:13 PM

Where do I start?

The black on black grim-dark to the n-th power nihilism?
Rabid space viking werewolves?
Space vampires?
fungus monsters?

A badly told retread of "Paradise lost", with only the names changed.

Who in their right mind WOULD want to play it?

:D

bitsandkits 07-30-13 02:54 PM

I think many of you are forgetting that your not GWs target age group and some of you havent been for quite some time, i look back to when i got into the hobby and the books i was reading, tolkien, fighting fantasy,dragon lance where as my father would have been rocking a Tom clancy, Fredic Forsyth or Arthur C Clarke and wouldnt have dreamed of reading some half assed teen scifi like the HH novels or other GW fare.
GWs demographic has changed, when i started the hobby, the stores were full of people wearing studded leather jacket, with long hair and metal t shirts and iron madien would be blasting out on the store stereo (on cassette damn it!) and youths like me were viewed with suspicion, but that era is long gone and the demographic has gone with it, GW openly admit they target the male 12-20 bracket openly, so naturally the products are going to be geared towards that age group and so is the fluff, To someone whos 12 some of the GW stuff is pretty edgy.

Ok the thing i dont like in the fluff is how the numbers simply dont stack up, a thousand marines per chapter and there are about a thousand chapters blah blah blah, ok i know we have to suspend believe for pretty much everything in 40k but the number of active marines is just total bollocks and for me is the thing drastically in need of correction,its irritated me since i first read it, even the legion numbers are far too low.
At the speed it takes to replace a marine and the number that must die per mission they would not have lasted 10k plus years.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Achaylus72 07-31-13 02:32 AM

Apart from Orcs and Goblins in Fantasy and Orks in 40K no one else goes to the toilet.

No wonder everyone else is fucking angry with 10,000 years of constipation screwing up their lives.

mob16151 07-31-13 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locustgate (Post 1400282)
Ultrasmurfs can win in a 1:1000000000 fight, with little or no casualties.


Well how else would they win. They only have 1 guy :P

Achaylus72 07-31-13 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mob16151 (Post 1400793)
Well how else would they win. They only have 1 guy :P

And unlimited ammo hoppers.

Achaylus72 07-31-13 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitsandkits (Post 1400561)
I think many of you are forgetting that your not GWs target age group and some of you havent been for quite some time, i look back to when i got into the hobby and the books i was reading, tolkien, fighting fantasy,dragon lance where as my father would have been rocking a Tom clancy, Fredic Forsyth or Arthur C Clarke and wouldnt have dreamed of reading some half assed teen scifi like the HH novels or other GW fare.
GWs demographic has changed, when i started the hobby, the stores were full of people wearing studded leather jacket, with long hair and metal t shirts and iron madien would be blasting out on the store stereo (on cassette damn it!) and youths like me were viewed with suspicion, but that era is long gone and the demographic has gone with it, GW openly admit they target the male 12-20 bracket openly, so naturally the products are going to be geared towards that age group and so is the fluff, To someone whos 12 some of the GW stuff is pretty edgy.

Ok the thing i dont like in the fluff is how the numbers simply dont stack up, a thousand marines per chapter and there are about a thousand chapters blah blah blah, ok i know we have to suspend believe for pretty much everything in 40k but the number of active marines is just total bollocks and for me is the thing drastically in need of correction,its irritated me since i first read it, even the legion numbers are far too low.
At the speed it takes to replace a marine and the number that must die per mission they would not have lasted 10k plus years.

Well according to some of the fluff i have read, the Ultramarines Legion had over 600,000, and it constitutes to just about 60%+ of all chapters, while the Dark Angels, Salamanders, Blood Angels have been on the verge of extinction for over 10,000 years.

Not only that but are we really expect to believe that a single company can overcome an entire planetary system with billions of folk fighting it, a Space Marine Company, even a Terminator Company would not last more than a few weeks in combat here on a circa 2013 earth, a few tungsten/ceramic core anti personel rounds would kill one in a minute.

bitsandkits 07-31-13 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achaylus72 (Post 1400802)
Well according to some of the fluff i have read, the Ultramarines Legion had over 600,000, and it constitutes to just about 60%+ of all chapters, while the Dark Angels, Salamanders, Blood Angels have been on the verge of extinction for over 10,000 years.

Not only that but are we really expect to believe that a single company can overcome an entire planetary system with billions of folk fighting it, a Space Marine Company, even a Terminator Company would not last more than a few weeks in combat here on a circa 2013 earth, a few tungsten/ceramic core anti personel rounds would kill one in a minute.

thats pretty much my feelings on it, the numbers really dont work



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nordicus 07-31-13 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitsandkits (Post 1400880)
thats pretty much my feelings on it, the numbers really dont work

My thoughts on it have always been, that this adds to the heroism of the Space Marines. The dying supreme humans, who seek to do (questionable) justice and untold heroism in the face of ever greater threats, who are vastly outnumbered and usually always the underdog. They are the Warhammer 40k equivalent of Chuck Norris against a entire drug cartel.

Don't get me wrong, I think Space Marines are the most boring part of the entire Warhammer 40k story as they are as "bling bling Paladin" as they can be, but I can understand the reason why GW takes the stance on them that they do. If they outnumbered everyone, or were even on the same level numberwise, they would be nothing special. It's the fact that they are so few, that gives them their "heroic stance".


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:07 AM.

Powered by the Emperor of Man.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome