Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Black Library Fiction (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/108-black-library-fiction/)
-   -   Rate What You Read. (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/black-library-fiction/127380-rate-what-you-read.html)

Khorne's Fist 07-29-13 04:24 PM

Rate What You Read.

I was thinking that a thread where people could just post a score out of 10 for the latest BL novel they've read might be a good idea. It's not a review thread, we have them already, it could just serve as a quick reference guide for people looking at making their next BL purchase. To that end, I'll start.

The Siege of Castellax-7/10

March of Time 07-29-13 04:47 PM

Blighted Empire - 8/10

Znoz 07-29-13 06:51 PM

Blood of Asaheim - 8
(as wolf's fanboy :3)

Deus Mortis 07-29-13 07:06 PM

Angel Exterminatus - 8.5/10

Bobbyfbrewster 07-29-13 07:39 PM

Ahriman exile 8/10

Angel of Blood 07-29-13 08:52 PM

I don't really like to apply rating systems to novels, I just can't sum up a novel with a number out of 10 or a grade. Dunno why. But just for the record..

Fear to Tread: U or 0.00000000000000000001/Googolplex. Or failing that, a complete abortion of a novel in every singular way possible, making me and my perception of humanity as a whole feel a little more dumb and unenlightened in a truly uninspiring and bland way, to the point where I would willingly shave off a decade or so of a my life, just to get that day or so back that it took me to read it, and then spend my entire monetary worth to find a way to erase the memory of the novel from my mind and set up an organisation dedicated to finding every single last copy of the novel in existence and burning it, followed by a virus to delete every eBook file. Fuck you Fear to Tread.

Worldkiller 07-29-13 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel of Blood (Post 1400330)
I don't really like to apply rating systems to novels, I just can't sum up a novel with a number out of 10 or a grade. Dunno why. But just for the record..

Fear to Tread: U or 0.00000000000000000001/Googolplex. Or failing that, a complete abortion of a novel in every singular way possible, making me and my perception of humanity as a whole feel a little more dumb and unenlightened in a truly uninspiring and bland way, to the point where I would willingly shave off a decade or so of a my life, just to get that day or so back that it took me to read it, and then spend my entire monetary worth to find a way to erase the memory of the novel from my mind and set up an organisation dedicated to finding every single last copy of the novel in existence and burning it, followed by a virus to delete every eBook file. Fuck you Fear to Tread.

No one forced you to read it.
Edit: Betrayer: 8.5

aerogems 07-30-13 01:27 AM

Not quite finished with it, but only a couple chapters left. So barring something to make it really terrible within those last few pages...

Deathwatch: 8/10

It kind of dragged a bit in the first two acts, but despite that it wasn't torture to read like the first Bastion Wars book was. The Deathwatch training bits helped salvage a lot of it. If it hadn't spent so much time setting up events for the third act, I would have easily given it an 8.5 or 9.

MontytheMighty 07-30-13 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel of Blood (Post 1400330)
Fear to Tread: U or 0.00000000000000000001/Googolplex. Or failing that, a complete abortion of a novel in every singular way possible

^ A man after my own heart

Pariah 8.5/10
Soul Hunter 7.5/10
Blood Reaver 7.5/10

Pariah has me hooked. I'm really forward to the sequel. The Astartes presence if very well-handled IMO:

The description of the enormous Church building was also very memorable. Queen Mab has a steampunk/Victorian London feel to it. Big fan of Dan's world-building as always.

I've read through parts of the Night Lords series before at the book store but this is my first time tackling them in their entirety. They're good but not quite as good as some ppl made them out to be. I think this might be a case of my expectations raised too high by all these glowing reviews. I'm having a hard time getting through Void Stalker. Aaron definitely maintains the quality of prose throughout the series...I think it might just be a case of me not really being a fan of the Night Lords.

Malus Darkblade 07-30-13 04:44 AM

I haven't read Pariah in a while.

Was there really an AL Astartes in it? What did he do?