Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Black Library Fiction (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/108-black-library-fiction/)
-   -   One more month (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/black-library-fiction/125579-one-more-month.html)

Paceyjg 06-11-13 05:44 PM

One more month

Just one more month until Angel Exterminatus is released in MM paper back! Can finally rejoin the HH after only 9 months :yahoo:

Vaz 06-11-13 06:31 PM

Don't bother, save your money, and don't put any more money into McNeil's hands until he starts coming out with A Thousand Sons quality work again.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Brother Lucian 06-11-13 06:52 PM

I beg to differ. I found Angel Exterminatus a good read. Really fleshes out Peturabo. He is a very conflicted being.

Worldkiller 06-11-13 07:18 PM

It also showed something I really wanted to see: destroyed legions from the Dropsite Massacre striking back at the traitors guerrilla warfare style.

Doelago 06-11-13 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaz (Post 1383581)
Don't bother, save your money, and don't put any more money into McNeil's hands until he starts coming out with A Thousand Sons quality work again.

The above all the way.

piemelke 06-11-13 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worldkiller (Post 1383599)
It also showed something I really wanted to see: destroyed legions from the Dropsite Massacre striking back at the traitors guerrilla warfare style.

I tend to agree, this was for me nice to read, i just finished betrayer and read AE after that, in betrayer the UM were kinda punching bags, the loyalists in AE were more interesting, it is not the best book in the series (betrayer was significantly better) but also not the worst after having read fear to tread, deliverance lost... the description of Perturabo and a specific raven guard make the 10 € worth spending

Brother Lucian 06-11-13 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemelke (Post 1383654)
I tend to agree, this was for me nice to read, i just finished betrayer and read AE after that, in betrayer the UM were kinda punching bags, the loyalists in AE were more interesting, it is not the best book in the series (betrayer was significantly better) but also not the worst after having read fear to tread, deliverance lost... the description of Perturabo and a specific raven guard make the 10 € worth spending

Yes, not a top tier book. But also not trash as some here is trying to paint it as.

aerogems 06-11-13 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Lucian (Post 1383590)
I beg to differ. I found Angel Exterminatus a good read. Really fleshes out Peturabo. He is a very conflicted being.

This was my overall take too. It wasn't a work of great fiction or anything, but it does give some much needed attention to a traitor primarch and goes a bit into why he chose to turn traitor. Unlike most of the others, he didn't do it because he had been corrupted by Chaos or any sort of high ideals. He wasn't even just someone who enjoyed killing like Angron. So it may not be worthy of any literary awards or anything, but it does justice to painting a somewhat sympathetic narrative for the Iron Warriors.

bobss 06-11-13 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Lucian (Post 1383655)
Yes, not a top tier book. But also not trash as some here is trying to paint it as.

I agree.

After the The Reflection Crack'd which I abhorred, I enjoyed the development of Fulgrim's cronies and life breathed into Perty and his Legion in Angel Exterminatus. Y'know, in my own bubble of what's-canon-and-what's-not, TRC doesn't exist, or existed as some trick or game elicited from Fulgrim's daemon. The undertones of Fulgrim regaining control of his body before his coercion of Perty and ultimate apotheosis is that daemons are corny and a daemonically-possessed Fulgrim couldn't function in AE's storyline. Which I don't agree with.

Yes, McNeill's prose is delivered on the end of William Wallace's claymore,
yes, there were more continuity nods to Storm of Iron than I'm comfortable with,
and yes, some of the fluff ramifications were not my cup of tea, such as the Heart of Iron,

but I still loved the exposition Perty received and I still believe McNeill can write Iron Warriors well. I've seen hardcore Iron Warriors fans (well, okay, one) dislike the portrayal but then again I saw hardcore Space Wolves fans dislike Prospero Burns which I would put in my top five.

Betrayer was good people, but I could pick my fair share of nits from it if I wanted. But why inflate minor problems to the stage where I'm effectively shitting on a book?

Lord of the Night 06-11-13 11:15 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobss (Post 1383663)
Betrayer was good people, but I could pick my fair share of nits from it if I wanted. But why inflate minor problems to the stage where I'm effectively shitting on a book?

Very good attitude. Wish more people had it.

I really enjoyed Angel Exterminatus and suggest the same thing I do with every book that gets a divided reception. Try it for yourself and find out where you stand. Just because I liked it doesn't mean you will, or because Vaz hated it that you will as well.

LotN