Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   Project Unbreakable (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/125481-project-unbreakable.html)

WaLkAwaY 06-09-13 01:23 PM

Project Unbreakable

For the past seven years I have given lectures on sexual assault awareness. I have spoken at all manner of events and areas from schools to boardrooms.

In all that time and all that teaching and lecturing I have never felt that I was able to reach some people and impress upon them just how deeply sexual assault and rape effects not only the victim/survivor but everyone around the victim/survivor.

Project Unbreakable is a poignant lesson in realism that conveys a message not only through what is written on a sign but what is written all over a persons face and seen in their eyes.

I have placed the links within spoiler tags because there is the possibility of triggering.

I am not the creator of Project Unbreakable and have no affiliation with her or Project Unbreakable.

If you or someone you know has been a victim of sexual assault male and female speak out. Sexual abuse is too often shamed, kept in the dark, and silenced. It's time to end that.

In October of 2011, I created a photography project called Project Unbreakable. I began asking survivors of sexual assault to write a quote from their attacker on a poster. At first, it was just to show the world how incredibly common this issue is. But then I soon realized that it was a form of therapy for these survivors; they were finally able to let go of things that had held them down for weeks, months, years.

I began receiving hundreds of emails from people asking to be apart of the project, either by photographing them or allowing their submission to be published on my blog. Sometimes people shared their stories with me - and sometimes, those stories were the first time they had ever told anyone.

I am nineteen years old, and my career could end tomorrow, but I'd still feel fulfilled. I want to take this project a step further. I want to be able to travel to different areas in America to photograph, to speak, to show my work - to show people that they are not alone. And maybe one day, I can turn this project into an organization, providing professional help for survivors, something that I am unfortunately not qualified to give.

We all have the ability to change the world - it's just a matter of deciding how we want to. Please just share this page if you are willing. And if you are a survivor of sexual abuse, I want you to remember that you are unbreakable.

Thank you for your time.

Magpie_Oz 06-09-13 01:32 PM

Great project, thanks for posting.

WaLkAwaY 06-09-13 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz (Post 1382432)
Great project, thanks for posting.

You are welcome. Thank you for reading it.

WaLkAwaY 04-01-14 01:01 PM

Bumping this. It's a new year and a new chance to make a difference. *No updated information has been provided.

Ryu_Niimura 04-01-14 01:11 PM

I've seen the photographs on Tumblr but I hadn't seen this video, both are very moving. Keep up the good work!

JAMOB 04-01-14 01:46 PM

Thank you.

Iraqiel 04-01-14 02:00 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Excellent project, I totally approve of what you are doing.

morfangdakka 04-01-14 10:31 PM

Excellent project. While I am on breaking from teaching many of my facebook friends are teachers and students so I shared it there. Hopefully bringing more recognition to your project.

WaLkAwaY 04-04-14 12:13 PM

Thank you all for the replies and support. It goes a long way and is very much appreciated.