Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Warhammer Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/38-warhammer-fluff/)
-   -   Warhammer Scenery (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/warhammer-fluff/125147-warhammer-scenery.html)

2ndRateMind 06-02-13 05:30 PM

Warhammer Scenery

Make or buy? If only we had the option! Seems to me like there are loads of towers for sale, which in the warhammer world would be quite rare, and few 'ordinary' buildings, which in the warhammer world would be quite common. I'm talking peasant shacks and hovels, town houses, merchant and wizard dwellings, inns, stables, storehouses, stuff like that. And as for the Warhammer castle! Like how boring is that? The creators of the excellent skullvane manse must surely be able to bring some life into this outdated model.
Well that's my rant. Comments welcome.

Happy gaming! 2RM.

andygorn 06-05-13 08:50 PM

The reason they make those models is to go with the game rules.
Stuff like wizard towers, strange pools, woods and magical altars can all be haunted & have weird ongoing effects.
Whereas there's probably not much in-game mechanic for a town, stables or a hovel/shack.
Also, they need to have a relatively small footprint so that you can have games around them (which makes towers ideal for what GW wants from a kit).]

The big castle has been around for ages, so (if I recall correctly), it's the same model as it's always been (i.e. nowhere near comparable to what GW makes now).
It needs to be basic shapes so that you can convert the castle into whatever you want (Orc-ish, Shaven, Empire, Dwarfs, Chaos, etc).
But there's not much mileage for GW in making a really detailed Empire castle (like your example) & adding loads of extra details onto it, as not many people would buy it because it's more specific (e.g. scenario's & scenery) rather than something that a lot of people can use in most -or every- game.

I'm surprised that they haven't done any Elvish forts yet, though.

Dave T Hobbit 06-06-13 10:34 AM

The problem with the lack of mundane buildings is the settlement result on the terrain table. Most of the other results are a single, potentially special, building; settlement is several buildings and a series of small walls. It is certainly the result I am most likely to ignore/reroll for lack of physreps.

So more small buildings that match the GW style would probably do reasonably well among players who do not want to spend ages building scenery.