Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Strategy = Flawless and then the Dice Gods say "nay nay" (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/124575-strategy-%3D-flawless-then-dice-gods-say-nay-nay.html)

Chaosftw 05-21-13 03:45 AM

Strategy = Flawless and then the Dice Gods say "nay nay"

Alright so everyone has had scenarios where their tactics were flawless and games that were going to be tight had started to go in their favor. Then the game comes down to a dice roll for the big victory and BAM... the dice gods have other plans.

Share your stories. Funny, sad, what ever! Lets see what short stories you all have!

Chaosftw

dirty-dog- 05-21-13 03:57 AM

a recent battle i was having, 2000pts, lots of orks on my side, vs some marines set up behind fortifications.

Was doing really well, myself vs 2 players, was winning most the way through, killed all the guys i needed to, they shot at my distractions etc

Untill the roll came to play another turn or not, needles to say we carried on for a turn, and they managed to run their guys into contest an objective, an wipe out the other squad.... argh...

kiro the avenger! 05-21-13 03:03 PM

At a tourney- was playing orks with my flesh tearers- wiped his armie off but a small nobs squad with the relic- my two jump squads had walked up to him and were roughly 3" away- both failed charge regardless of their rerolling charge moves- the dice gods just hate my flesh tearers:(

Although in every game I fail about 2/3 of my saves with marines and termies- however I pass 9/10 of my priests FNP saved- my opponents laugh as I fail saves but cry when my priest steps in:)

iamtheeviltwin 05-21-13 06:18 PM

My most recent game against the Tau. I still managed to pull out a win, but lost two squads because I failed three sub 7" charges in a row.

Chaosftw 05-21-13 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin (Post 1373193)
My most recent game against the Tau. I still managed to pull out a win, but lost two squads because I failed three sub 7" charges in a row.

oh man that is brutal... I can see one, maybe 2.... but 3 :shok::shok:... good god I would have flipped lol!

returnoftheclown 05-21-13 08:14 PM

My horde of murderous daemons had fought their way up the board towards the cowering guard in the corner. I had taken quite a few loses to shooting but I was able to distract most of his fire with drones and soul grinders. And so I was finally ready to take the battle to him, to reap his souls for the dark gods!!!

But because I had neglected to include any tzeentch followers he decided to screw me over by making me roll double 1 on the warp storm table, followed by absolutely terrible Leadership tests. I was gunned down by overwatch, with only a bloodthirster hitting.

I have decided to give daemons a break for a bit and buy some new dice...gods like new dice right?

iamtheeviltwin 05-21-13 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaosftw (Post 1373233)
oh man that is brutal... I can see one, maybe 2.... but 3 :shok::shok:... good god I would have flipped lol!

Dice hate me...

Had an epic loss in my first game against Dark Eldar. Not sure I could have won the game, but I should have not been tabled...when I failed 4 out of 8 2+ saves with my main Harlequin it was the last straw.

Just played a game against a chaos player sunday and lost my bike squad and my libby over the course of 2 shooting phases by failing 6/8 armor saves and then dropped another 4/6 to finish off the squad. Not to mention losing one of my razorbacks in one round of shooting by not making a single one out of the 4, 4+ cover save attempts (night fighting and enemy shooting through cover).

I usually manage to win games in spite of my dice, not because of them.

Romero's Own 05-21-13 09:59 PM

In one of my most recent games I was pitting my Tyranids against my friends Imperial Guard list. It was going well for me, it was a small 500 point annihilation game and four turns he was down to a lone Sergeant armed with power fist.

Well it turns out the dice gods don't like bugs as the Sergeant went on to beat down all my units and send them running. That guy must have been a bad ass.

Moonschwine 05-22-13 02:45 PM

Was three inches away from a charge against a tervigon with my raptors who'd jump-packed up to him over some terrain, a good round of shooting brought him to 1 wound and I was pretty much set to remove him.

Grabbed the dice to assault and bam, double 1's. Next turn he wanders off after pooping some more gaunts out (8) and eventually goes and eats a Rhino. Then I proceeded to lose the Raptor squad to gaunt fire with horrible Armour save luck. Afterward that Tervigon ran around producing 15, 13 and 12 more groups of the little devils before burning out.

That day I just did not do too well.

DestroyerHive 05-22-13 03:45 PM

I saw a unit of 5 Terminators get shot with a large blast weapon from an IG player that wasn't AP2. It wounded all 5 Terminators. He rolled five saves and guess what he rolled:

FIVE ONES.

The IG player was shouting, "everyone, come look at this!" And they both shared a good laugh.