Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Black Library Fiction (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/108-black-library-fiction/)
-   -   Has anyone read 7th Retribution? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/black-library-fiction/124541-has-anyone-read-7th-retribution.html)

Sequere_me_in_Tenebras 05-26-13 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Night (Post 1373509)
This! This is why I enjoyed the Junk-Daemons and the monstrous creatures that appeared in KNF. Because they are obviously Daemonic in origin. The Blood Angels arrive in Signus and see a Bloodletter in that empty city their rational views will not let them see it as a Daemon, they'll call it a xeno that they've never seen before. But when the Junk-Daemons appear it's impossible to deny a supernatural origin to them, they can't be called xenos because it's blatantly obvious that no xeno could do what they did, only something that isn't mortal could turn a city into a monster and create an army of nightmares out of everyday objects. It was a bucket of cold water to the Blood Angels collective face, showing them without any room to question that Signus was under attack by something they had been told did not exist, Daemons.

Completely agree. Corruption and by extent possession goes beyond just flesh (in my mind anyway). A lot has been said about this part of the FTT. Personally I didn't have a problem with it, as it showed something different, something a author hasn't shown beyond 'flesh' possession. Bravo on that.

bobss 05-26-13 09:12 AM

I finished Fear To Tread recently, and the later parts of the book were rife with lesser daemons of Slaanesh and Khorne, Furies and, I believe, one or two less identifiable critters. Which is fine, even Abnett used a daemonette or two (really effectively with his human characters, might I add) in Know No Fear.

Junk-daemons were better suited for that stage of the campaign for so many reasons. Malus just loves him some slaughtering BL authors.

Lord of the Night 07-19-13 08:45 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Ok i've read this novel now, my review for it is up in the new BL Reviews Section, and i'd like to set the record straight on that Lexicanum article because it's quite inaccurate.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

LotN

MontytheMighty 07-21-13 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade (Post 1373460)

Because ADB and Abnett are just better writers period. The difference between Abnett's quality of prose and, say, Swallow's is massive...never mind lore consistency, Swallow just writes at a very low level for a professional authour

Please remember that LotN's favourite Heresy novel is...Fear to Tread. He has very different taste compared to you or I.

Quote:

It's not a lore inconsistency, just a childish idea and ultimately bad writing. Why stop with traffic signs? Why not have poodles possessed by Daemons? It doesn't break the lore, you're right.
LOL I hope James Swallow doesn't read these forums

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Night (Post 1397102)

How convenient

Lord of the Night 07-21-13 08:10 AM

151 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 1397447)
Please remember that LotN's favourite Heresy novel is...Fear to Tread. He has very different taste compared to you or I.

Fyi, my favourite HH novel is currently Betrayer. Fear to Tread comes in at 2nd place and Know No Fear at 3rd.

I do hope that wasn't a shot at me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 1397447)
How convenient.

Oh yeah it's got to be author convenience that a battlefield is full of dead bodies, cos you know in 40k that almost never happens.

LotN

MontytheMighty 07-21-13 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Night (Post 1397532)
Fyi, my favourite HH novel is currently Betrayer. Fear to Tread comes in at 2nd place and Know No Fear at 3rd.

No it's not a shot, we have very different taste...

Quote:

Oh yeah it's got to be author convenience that a battlefield is full of dead bodies, cos you know in 40k that almost never happens.
No, it's convenient that the battles always take place on battlefields littered with bodies

Lord of the Night 07-21-13 05:58 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 1397611)
No, it's convenient that the battles always take place on battlefields littered with bodies

Actually if you'd read all of my spoilers you'd know that wasn't the case.

LotN

Brother Subtle 07-21-13 10:11 PM

Now now chaps. Agree to disagree.

MontytheMighty 07-22-13 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Night (Post 1397689)

Lord of the Night 07-22-13 09:58 AM

151 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 1397866)

LotN