Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Ultimate Unit Game: Retro Edition #2 - DAKKA (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/123139-ultimate-unit-game-retro-edition-2-dakka.html)

Iron Angel 04-19-13 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by returnoftheclown (Post 1359740)
Oooo! We could get a line of chorus girls doing the can-can while spanner (wearing a top hat of course) reals off the rules and regs like a ringmaster!

Archon Dan 04-19-13 06:56 AM

:goodpost:
Nice!

returnoftheclown 04-19-13 07:40 AM

Watched spaceballs last night actually!

Haha Fantastic!

spanner94ezekiel 04-20-13 12:27 PM

Hey, well I've only gone and finalised the UNIT REQUIREMENTS!!!

Ultimate Unit Game: Retro Edition #2 - Dakka!

- You may take one unit from any 40k codex that comes to 200 points or under.
- This unit may only consist of one Kill Point, and may not be or contain a named Character, or be a Flier or Flying Monstrous Creature.
- Note that all other vehicles and monstrous creatures are allowed.
- Also note that any Forge World units from any Forge World army are also permitted, on the conditions that a) they must be the most up to date rules, and b) they are not an Apocalypse unit.

Notes on Gameplay

- This will be a knock-out tournament, similar to the previous Game. Contestants will be drawn against each other each round until there is only one victor left.
- Any spaces left in the 32 slots will be taken up by filler units.
- Units will shoot simultaneously, resolving casualties at the same time.
- Wounds will be allocated randomly across the unit, with the exception of Precision Shots, though Look Out Sir! saves may be taken as usual.
- All units are considered to be Fearless to avoid roflstomping by higher LD units, and to avoid Pinning situations.
- Units are considered to be at minimum distance from each other, meaning they will be within Melta, Rapid Fire, Grenade and Salvo distance. Note however that weapons that increase in damage over distance will unfortunately be at their minimum range. Also note that Ordnance Barrage weapons with minimum ranges will be considered to be within range, so may fire as normal.
- If you have preferences regarding the use of combi-weapons etc, please notify me before the game starts.
- Note that any abilities/powers/etc that are used in the Movement or Assault Phases, may not be used in this game. Abilities etc that are used before the Movement Phase, in the Shooting phase, or during/before Deployment are acceptable

Template/Blast weapons will work as following:
- Template: D3+1 automatic hits
- Small Blast: D6
  • 1-2 - No Hit
  • 3-4 - 2 Hits
  • 5 - 4 Hits
  • 6 - 6 Hits
- Large Blast: D6
  • 1 - No hit
  • 2 - 2 Hits
  • 3 - 5 Hits
  • 4 - 7 Hits
  • 5 - 9 Hits
  • 6 - 12 Hits

*Please note that the number of hits/template cannot exceed the maximum number of models in the target unit.

I require your entries by Midnight on Friday 26th April - I will still accept entries from people who have not yet expressed an interest. If you require an extension on this deadline, please inform me in advance, else I will simply strike you off the list of competitors.

REWARDS - Um... yeh. This is still a WIP as far as I know. While the immediate reward for coming in the top four may not be apparent (I will +rep all top four contestants), but there is a long term award system in the works. All and any participation in any of the games that I have run will count towards this, so fear not!

Good luck to all, and may the shootiest entry win! :)

Jace of Ultramar 04-20-13 02:39 PM

So, with this edition being Dakka that we're looking at good ranged units.
Hmm...

The Sturk 04-20-13 04:59 PM

Vehicles will the be main concern for me...hmm...

Routine 04-20-13 10:26 PM

So with the 1-Killpoint stipulation, does that mean that Combined Infantry Squads are out for IG? Or are they in?

spanner94ezekiel 04-20-13 10:35 PM

I can't find a direct comment on whether Combined Squads count as one Kill Point. If you can find evidence that they only count as one, then that's perfectly fine. Otherwise I suppose you're still buying individual units before combining them. Anybody got a ruling on this?

Stephen_Newman 04-20-13 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel (Post 1360702)
I can't find a direct comment on whether Combined Squads count as one Kill Point. If you can find evidence that they only count as one, then that's perfectly fine. Otherwise I suppose you're still buying individual units before combining them. Anybody got a ruling on this?

They are classed as one in the Imperial Guard FAQ last time I checked. Hope that helps.

As for me I am tempted to just go for Nids again but after their abysmal failing last time I think I need something to stand up to all those Tau units I expect will be in this competition.

CE5511 04-20-13 10:54 PM

Combined squads are a single kill point. But the Platoon command squad, Heavy weapons teams, ect are seperate from the combined squads

Boc 04-20-13 11:04 PM

Entry submitted... I cheated, Reaver Titan, suck it!

spanner94ezekiel 04-20-13 11:22 PM

Quick! Someone take Lukas the Trickster with that nifty stasis grenade!

Routine 04-20-13 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boc (Post 1360710)
Entry submitted... I cheated, Reaver Titan, suck it!

A Titan for 200pts or less? I need to read up on these Forgeworld units

Routine 04-20-13 11:37 PM

Another question for you Spanner: Given your ruling on powers/abilities in the movement phase, does this mean that the Riptide does not get the benefit of its Nova Generator?

spanner94ezekiel 04-20-13 11:56 PM

Hmmm. I find it odd that they say the decision must be made in the Movement Phase, when afaik it doesn't affect movement at all. Split minds about this - I mean rules are rules, but this seems counter-intuitive.

I think I'm going to stick with no, seeing as a) this could open up a whole messy can of worms if I say yes, and b) it's not as if the Riptide's going to struggle to make a mess of most units it comes up against.

CE5511 04-21-13 12:12 AM

Spanner,
What about adding a member of the royal court to necrons or wolf guard to space wolves since they dont add a kill point to the unit

spanner94ezekiel 04-21-13 12:18 AM

I've been asked this question a couple of times now, and I'm going with "yes, you can". :)

Routine 04-21-13 12:44 AM

A question about Blasts/Templates: Do they have the same effect on units of one model as they do on multiple-model units?

Also, I have to ask: Is a Reaver Titan actually a possibility? I've never read any Apocalypse rules, so this is an honest question born of ignorance

spanner94ezekiel 04-21-13 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Routine (Post 1360738)
A question about Blasts/Templates: Do they have the same effect on units of one model as they do on multiple-model units?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel (Post 1360574)
*Please note that the number of hits/template cannot exceed the maximum number of models in the target unit.

Answer your question? :)

With regards to Boc's Titan, you needn't worry on 3 accounts:
1. Titans cost at least around the 500pt marker, and the one Boc's talking about is over 1k IIRC.
2. I've said no Apocalypse units anyway.
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.

Iron Angel 04-21-13 12:54 AM

Submitted. Got a bit of an unconventional addition in my unit but I think it will serve nicely for this specific purpose.

Routine 04-21-13 01:00 AM

Crap, I shouldve read things a bit more closely, thanks Spanner :)

Boc 04-21-13 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel (Post 1360740)
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.

I'll have to sig that later...

Routine 04-21-13 09:56 PM

So Spanner, was there a final decision on whether or not an Imperial Guard Combined Infantry Squad is allowable?

Stephen_Newman 04-21-13 09:57 PM

Entry in!

Good luck muthafuckersss!!!!!!

MetalHandkerchief 04-22-13 07:16 AM

Continuing my tradition of choosing novelty units instead of min/maxed powerhouses, can't wait for this one to start! Good luck to everyone.

Karnax 04-22-13 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel (Post 1360574)
- Units are considered to be at minimum distance from each other, meaning they will be within Melta, Rapid Fire, Grenade and Salvo distance. Note however that weapons that increase in damage over distance will unfortunately be at their minimum range. Also note that Ordnance Barrage weapons with minimum ranges will be considered to be within range, so may fire as normal.

Does this mean that the monoliths portal of exile affects every enemy in the unit? If so, I'll probably choose something else. It would be a bit too overpowered for my liking.

Grokfog 04-22-13 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karnax (Post 1361170)
Does this mean that the monoliths portal of exile affects every enemy in the unit? If so, I'll probably choose something else. It would be a bit too overpowered for my liking.

Lol, I'd forgotten about monoliths! :shok:

spanner94ezekiel 04-22-13 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Routine (Post 1360971)
So Spanner, was there a final decision on whether or not an Imperial Guard Combined Infantry Squad is allowable?

Yes, my final decision is that Combined Squads are permitted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karnax (Post 1361170)

In theory, yes the portal would affect all models. This is part of the reason for why I am banning Monoliths in this game. The other part of the fact is they're stupidly difficult to take down unless people are packing tonnes of anti-AV14. Bear in mind that this is nothing new, as they were also banned in earlier games.

returnoftheclown 04-22-13 06:42 PM

I disappear for a couple of days and look what happens!

Pm shortly

Karnax 04-22-13 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel (Post 1361196)
In theory, yes the portal would affect all models. This is part of the reason for why I am banning Monoliths in this game. The other part of the fact is they're stupidly difficult to take down unless people are packing tonnes of anti-AV14. Bear in mind that this is nothing new, as they were also banned in earlier games.

Yeah, I thought so. I'll just have to go with my second choice then. :)

Routine 04-22-13 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel (Post 1361196)
they're stupidly difficult to take down unless people are packing tonnes of anti-AV14. Bear in mind that this is nothing new, as they were also banned in earlier games.

Would Leman-Russ Tanks fall into the same category?

spanner94ezekiel 04-22-13 09:45 PM

No, Leman Russ are fine.

High_Seraph 04-23-13 12:20 AM

Well good luck to one and all. I will have a better showing this time, at least I hopes so!

The Sturk 04-23-13 12:25 AM

What happens in the case of simultaneous destruction?

Routine 04-23-13 12:25 AM

I'll be interested to see what Spanner throws at us, in the way of Filler Units...

Routine 04-23-13 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sturk (Post 1361280)

I think I've seen that happen before (a melee game maybe), and I think they just ran it again until there was a clear winner

The Sturk 04-23-13 01:59 PM

In anycase, my request is sent. I just hope it works out, at least for a few rounds.

returnoftheclown 04-23-13 03:17 PM

Good luck everyone! May the dice gods be with you.

And High_Seraph, you bowed out too quickly last game for me to whoop you, hopefully you can last a bit longer this time :wink:

spanner94ezekiel 04-23-13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sturk (Post 1361280)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Routine (Post 1361282)
I think I've seen that happen before (a melee game maybe), and I think they just ran it again until there was a clear winner

This is indeed the case.

Deus Mortis 04-23-13 04:26 PM

I should be sending in a list soon. One question first, do rules which come into play at the start of the turn (i.e. Mindlock, Daemonic power, etc) come into play in this?