Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Ultimate Unit Game: Retro Edition #2 - DAKKA (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/123139-ultimate-unit-game-retro-edition-2-dakka.html)

Routine 04-28-13 12:24 AM

Ok, so the larger the squad, the lower the chance of a particular model being hit... hopefully the odds work out and my melta-dude stays alive long enough to matter.

Thanks for the quick response Spanner!

Archon Dan 04-28-13 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Angel (Post 1362871)
Also I have no idea why all you people who took Immortals bothered with Stormteks. Did you posers forget about the Gauss rule and Rapid Fire range?

You would have been better off with a vanilla Cryptek with a Staff of Light to crack 3+ saves. Like I took.

I can't speak for anyone else but I did it out of habit. I tend toward Tesla Immortals, so the anti-tank Staff helps the squad in that set-up. I made the switch to Gauss, given they'll be in Rapid-fire but the other habit stuck in there. Not complaining as 24 anti-vehicle shots on my first opponent will help a lot.

But speaking of AP 3, how come none of us Necron went with 5 Destroyers or 5 Lords? I was thinking quantity over quality: hasn't failed me yet. Maybe I should have gone 15 Warriors.

High_Seraph 04-28-13 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief (Post 1362841)
I think you have kinda the upper hand, considering missile launchers insta-kill XV8. Though it may get very close.

I never said I might lose just that it might hurt a bit before the eventual victory!:ok: But still that invuln will help out a lot until that drone goes down. Hopefully before they have inflicted to many casualties one me.

Jace of Ultramar 04-28-13 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romero's Own (Post 1362772)
Good luck to Jace, seems like a nice even match up between the two of us

Good luck to you as well Romero, I was thinking the same thing about our units being a good match.

Iron Angel 04-28-13 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archon Dan (Post 1362982)
I can't speak for anyone else but I did it out of habit. I tend toward Tesla Immortals, so the anti-tank Staff helps the squad in that set-up. I made the switch to Gauss, given they'll be in Rapid-fire but the other habit stuck in there. Not complaining as 24 anti-vehicle shots on my first opponent will help a lot.

But speaking of AP 3, how come none of us Necron went with 5 Destroyers or 5 Lords? I was thinking quantity over quality: hasn't failed me yet. Maybe I should have gone 15 Warriors.

I considered it strongly, but there were some sticking points.

1: Destroyers aren't that great, lets be real. I'll take 20 AP4 S5 shots over half that many AP3 shots any day, even if they are Preferred Enemy. They really gutted Destroyers in the new Codex.

2: You're paying for Jump Infantry, something that will never come into effect. Inefficient points usage.

3: Lords intrigued me but those are more CC based. A lord costs considerably more than an immortal and doesn't offer too much in return, especially on the anti-vehicle front.

4: Warriors are a bit TOO fragile. Going from 4+ to 3+ armor saves is a huge jump in survivability and you only lose 3-4 models to get it. Warriors exist to either tank hits as a huge mob of 20 with a res orb, or as 5-man squads for objective taking/contesting on later turns.

Overall Immortals were, in fact, the best choice. If we were allowed Pinning though, I'd have taken Deathmarks and made you all cry...

MidnightSun 04-28-13 10:14 PM

317 Attachment(s)
I went for quality over quantity and I'm drawn against Orks... Well, could be Shoota Boyz, I guess. I've still got my FnP, and Rapid Firing Plasma Guns hurt whoever you are.

For the Lion and the Emperor!

Midnight

Archon Dan 04-30-13 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Angel (Post 1363190)
I considered it strongly, but there were some sticking points.

1: Destroyers aren't that great, lets be real. I'll take 20 AP4 S5 shots over half that many AP3 shots any day, even if they are Preferred Enemy. They really gutted Destroyers in the new Codex.

2: You're paying for Jump Infantry, something that will never come into effect. Inefficient points usage.

3: Lords intrigued me but those are more CC based. A lord costs considerably more than an immortal and doesn't offer too much in return, especially on the anti-vehicle front.

4: Warriors are a bit TOO fragile. Going from 4+ to 3+ armor saves is a huge jump in survivability and you only lose 3-4 models to get it. Warriors exist to either tank hits as a huge mob of 20 with a res orb, or as 5-man squads for objective taking/contesting on later turns.

Overall Immortals were, in fact, the best choice. If we were allowed Pinning though, I'd have taken Deathmarks and made you all cry...

Those are all very good points. Immortals really are the go-to squad in most games. But as you also said Deathmarks make people cry. They were my original choice too, until Pinning was removed. I even asked that HfH worked for the game. But against vehicles, we'd be hurting with Deathmarks.

Iron Angel 05-03-13 07:16 PM

update pls

spanner94ezekiel 05-03-13 08:26 PM

:secret: Ssh! I'm on the case...

Jace of Ultramar 05-04-13 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel (Post 1364829)
:secret: Ssh! I'm on the case...

Nice. By the way, did you get that thing I sent ya?