Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Scenery & Basing (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/169-scenery-basing/)
-   -   Rainy Models (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/scenery-basing/122947-rainy-models.html)

ambadasdor 04-05-13 09:51 PM

Rainy Models

Hello, I consider myself a pretty poor painter (sort of a prime, base, wash and call it good type of guy :wink:) but I am looking to improve. I don't really care about doing better than tabletop quality as far as painting my models right now (i expect that will come with time and practice), but I am really excited by they idea of basing and effects. I am about to start a Dark Eldar army and I was talking to a friend about color schemes when we stumbled across the idea of painting an army so that it looked like it was in the rain; basing it with water effects puddles and so forth. I have a general idea of how I will base them, but I have no idea how to get this effect onto the models, as I have never worked with water effects and I don't know how they would look in that application. I cannot find any tutorials or blogs that mention anything like this online. So, one ramble later, does anyone have any ideas of a good way to execute this? Does anyone think it would create a nice look? Thank you for any advice.

normtheunsavoury 04-05-13 11:12 PM

Other than a few puddles I'm not sure how achievable an actual rain effect would be at 28mm scale, its worth a go I suppose.

On another note, if you're planning to put that much effort into the base you'll need to up the level of painting on the minis too or its going to make them look a lot worse in comparison.

ambadasdor 04-06-13 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury (Post 1356037)
Other than a few puddles I'm not sure how achievable an actual rain effect would be at 28mm scale, its worth a go I suppose.

On another note, if you're planning to put that much effort into the base you'll need to up the level of painting on the minis too or its going to make them look a lot worse in comparison.

Yeah, I probably should work on my painting... I think part of it is that I am using really old brushes, I'll go out and pick up some new ones. Plus, I am planning on re-painting the Eldar army that I inherited before I get into Dark Eldar, so I will practice then. I am not sure if this is what you meant in your reply or not, so I figure I'll ask it anyway, is there any way any one knows of to make models look wet?

normtheunsavoury 04-06-13 12:23 AM

Gloss paint is probably your best bet, or a gloss varnish, if you apply it in streaks to show where rain is running down the model it could work.