Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Black Library Fiction (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/108-black-library-fiction/)
-   -   Black Legion Series (ADB) (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/black-library-fiction/122786-black-legion-series-adb.html)

piemelke 04-01-13 05:57 PM

I hope it will be first in a set of series, I assume GW is already preparing for a life after the HH,

sadLor 04-01-13 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forkmaster (Post 1354505)
If he didn't support the Rubric and hated the results it gives a pretty good reason to abbadon his own Legion!

You deserve some credit for that pun:so_happy:

Quote:

I hope it will be first in a set of series, I assume GW is already preparing for a life after the HH,
Post HH...I wonder when that will be. In any case, they have stories to tell for decades when/if HH ever ends. Whole series can be written about the Great Crusade, Primarch's upbringing on their homeworlds, Reign of Blood, etc.

piemelke 04-01-13 07:19 PM

I mean the concept of long (6 books or more ) series with the same quality as the HH

Lord of the Night 04-01-13 07:41 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by piemelke (Post 1354636)
I mean the concept of long (6 books or more ) series with the same quality as the HH

Apparantely words like "ADB's Gaunt's Ghosts" are being tossed around at BL. So this series could very well be Black Library's new long-running series. And it's not a Guard series or an Imperial Marine series but a Chaos Marine series. Truly great news indeed. :grin:

LotN

gridge 04-06-13 04:02 AM

This is pretty exciting. I do wish ADB would do some more loyalist marine work but I absolutely love his chaos marines.

MontytheMighty 04-09-13 03:07 AM

Kinda odd that this TSons Inner Circle member is not mentioned at all in A Thousand Sons

I'm guessing he's not a Fellowship Captain, maybe a Captain's second-in-command?

Child-of-the-Emperor 04-09-13 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 1357065)
Kinda odd that this TSons Inner Circle member is not mentioned at all in A Thousand Sons

I'm guessing he's not a Fellowship Captain, maybe a Captain's second-in-command?

Not every important Thousand Son was involved in the prose of A Thousand Sons. No doubt Aaron will justify Iskandar Khayon's XV Legion heritage without any problem. He is very good at dealing with established lore and meshing it seamlessly into his own works.

Besides, Aaron shouldn't restrict himself by using XV Legion characters that were only mentioned/featured in Mcneill's A Thousand Sons. That would be silly. :wink:

Dead.Blue.Clown 04-09-13 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 1357065)

This is what worries me. People think 40K is so small, mostly because of the scale it's presented in (in the books and codices, as much as any fan assumption). Here's my answer to this exact topic, on another forum:

"It's not really a matter of limitation. From the outset, the best opportunity about a Black Legion series is a matter of scale. I don't really care, to be perfectly honest, what happens to the handful of major captains we see in the Sons of Horus, in the HH series. With the ebb and flow of Legion ranks, there are between 100 and 200 captains, commanders, battalion leaders, and several hundred more lieutenants and sergeants, etc. And that's just the Sons of Horus (who, as a related note, are practically annihilated in the Legion Wars inside the Eye of Terror, by the time the Black Legion is founded). Captains, sorcerers, officers and everything else from the other Legions are also part of the Black Legion's founding, because while the Sons of Horus were just the Luna Wolves with a new coat of paint, the Black Legion is categorically not the Sons of Horus with a new colour scheme. The Black Legion is something utterly new to the galaxy, and the Traitor Legions.

As for other Heresy characters, their fates are already famously established, or they may or may not be irrelevant. The Heresy series (sadly) can only show so much. It shows a fraction of the power players within each Legion. Anyone coming into this with linear thinking will find their expectations dashed, I think. Let's say Horus Aximand survives, for example. If I mention him, he might not join the Black Legion at all. If I don't mention him, it doesn't mean he doesn't make it. It means he has nothing to do with the story, or the founding of the Black Legion, or other characters have eclipsed him in importance. And on the flip side, how many captains of the Thousand Sons have we really seen? Or the Emperor's Children? Or even the Sons of Horus? There are hundreds and hundreds - some are minor, some are major, but they're just not quite on the level of the Kharns and Ahrimans. And, of course, Abaddon.

So, naw, it's not about there being any limits set on this. In fact, the opposite is true, as f'rex Dan has already asked which Sons of Horus characters I planned to use, so we didn't kill them off in the Heresy, etc. It's more a matter of scale, that the characters we've seen in the Heresy are 0.01% of the bigger picture. The First Lords of the Black Legion aren't necessarily the last commanders of the Sons of Horus. It'll never be that linear - I'd be doing a huge injustice to the scale of the setting if it played out like that.

Think of it like Troy. All those heroes died in the Trojan War, except for a small handful that went on to their own adventures. Odysseus had his Odyssey. Aeneas went to found the city of Alba Longa with the Latins. A few hundred years later, the last lords of Troy were mostly gone, and the first lords of Rome took their place.

I'm sure there'll be a spoiler or two on the most minor scale, but we already know what happens to every primarch and first captain anyway, so it's hardly life-shattering. As for other characters, it's more a matter of it not being about the same guys that masterminded the Heresy. We already know most of their fates. This is about the Traitor Legions being forced to live in Hell, in the wake of their primarchs abandoning them and evolving to a higher plane of life; and a new breed of Chaos Marine rising from the rubble.

The main character, at Abaddon's right hand and who will become one of the Black Legion's founders, is Iskandar Khayon - a Thousand Son. He was in the Thousand Sons' inner circle of command, and unsuccessfully tried to stop the Rubric. He's not mentioned in the Horus Heresy series (though I could easily have him slipped in already; could've done it myself twice over), but the focused nature of the HH series means about a bajillion major and minor characters are slipping through the cracks. There's room for a lot of flex space, if you get me.

If you have too much crossover, the galaxy becomes too small. It's one of my hugest bugbears. Like how Boba Fett is "the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy". The galaxy is a big, big, big place. I hate that "small neighbourhood" feel of everyone knowing everyone else."

Child-of-the-Emperor 04-09-13 05:32 PM

:goodpost:

Completely agree with Aaron. That's the main reason why I found Mcneill's massive character/setting overlaps between his 40k series' and one or two of his Heresy novels to be cringe worthy.

Captain_Daerys_Arrun 04-12-13 01:31 PM

Looking foreward to this one and ADB is one who wlmost always delivers.