Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Rules Discussion (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/17-40k-rules-discussion/)
-   -   Doomsday Cannon (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-rules-discussion/121274-doomsday-cannon.html)

darklove 02-11-13 11:14 AM

Doomsday Cannon

I just need to check if I have read this right:

If the Doomsday Ark stands still it can fire the cannon once at full strength.
If the Doomsday Ark moved then it can fire the cannon twice but at a reduced strength.

Have I got that right?

Is it possible to choose which weapon profile to use if you do not move?

Archon Dan 02-11-13 11:36 AM

You only fire the reduced version once, just like the stationary shot. So while you technically could elect to fire the reduced shot while stationary there is no benefit to do so. If you want to use the weaker shot, you should at least move to gain the Jink save and WS 1 if assaulted.

Magpie_Oz 02-11-13 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklove (Post 1338752)
Is it possible to choose which weapon profile to use if you do not move?

I'd say no on the basis of the FAQ that says you can't choose to fire a snap shot if you don't have too.

Like for example the Psycannon can be fired Assault 2 or Heavy 4. If you have moved and then want to fire at a Flyer (so you're BS1 anyway) you can't choose to fire the Heavy 4

darklove 02-11-13 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archon Dan (Post 1338760)
You only fire the reduced version once, just like the stationary shot. So while you technically could elect to fire the reduced shot while stationary there is no benefit to do so. If you want to use the weaker shot, you should at least move to gain the Jink save and WS 1 if assaulted.

The iBook Codex: Necrons states that the reduced version is Heavy 2, Blast. Doesn't that mean it can shoot twice?

Magpie_Oz 02-11-13 12:37 PM

yep Heavy 2 would mean that.

It's a pain if we are going to end up with a Codex that says one thing and an iCodex that says another.

Insanity 02-11-13 12:58 PM

Just wondering, how did you think it was 2 shots at combat speed?

darklove 02-11-13 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insanity (Post 1338775)
Just wondering, how did you think it was 2 shots at combat speed?

Because it says so in the codex.

Insanity 02-11-13 01:28 PM

I didn't read the more in depth version in with the other weapons, but the reference page at the back just says Heavy 1 and their respective blast sizes.

darklove 02-11-13 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insanity (Post 1338780)
I didn't read the more in depth version in with the other weapons, but the reference page at the back just says Heavy 1 and their respective blast sizes.

The digital version has it as Heavy 2 - so two shots.

Taggerung 02-11-13 05:28 PM

Most likely a typo; a lot of those in the digital versions.