Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Music Discussion (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/253-music-discussion/)
-   -   A worrying metal trend..... (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/music-discussion/121136-worrying-metal-trend.html)

Logaan 02-06-13 06:51 PM

A worrying metal trend.....

I like metal, I know what I like and like what I know. That said, I rarely listen to 'new' bands. During my painting this week, I have had a few itunes radio stations on to see if I could find some new music.

I have reached bizarre conclusions. There seems to be a VAST amount of bands who have songs that are indentically constructed;

Start - heavy chugging riffs - this gets my attention

First verse - growl, grrrr, this dudes burping the alphabet backwards....in swahili

Chorus - chugging and more backwards alphabet burping

Second verse - bit low key

Breakdown - crap, I know where this is going

Third verse - yes, its launched into a ballad and he is crooning. About love and junk.

Lame solo

Heavy chugging outro.

When did this crap become popular? Why was I not informed? Where do I complain? I blame skinny jeans.

Tawa 02-06-13 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logaan (Post 1337183)
I like metal, I know what I like and like what I know. That said, I rarely listen to 'new' bands. During my painting this week, I have had a few itunes radio stations on to see if I could find some new music.

I have reached bizarre conclusions. There seems to be a VAST amount of bands who have songs that are indentically constructed;

Start - heavy chugging riffs - this gets my attention

First verse - growl, grrrr, this dudes burping the alphabet backwards....in swahili

Chorus - chugging and more backwards alphabet burping

Second verse - bit low key

Breakdown - crap, I know where this is going

Third verse - yes, its launched into a ballad and he is crooning. About love and junk.

Lame solo

Heavy chugging outro.

When did this crap become popular? Why was I not informed? Where do I complain? I blame skinny jeans.

You've living under a rock for a while...... Apart from that random "I'm in the pub!!!" txt a few weeks ago :laugh:

However, yes there is an abundance of this kind of metal. Which I tend to classify as "shite".

Logaan 02-06-13 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawa (Post 1337185)
You've living under a rock for a while...... Apart from that random "I'm in the pub!!!" txt a few weeks ago :laugh:

Yup, I have either been working or sleeping - this is the reason why my manager has ordered me to take some time off. Not that I am complaining mind!

There should be laws, seriously it is crap. I mainly listen to DI Chillout when I paint, constant trippy ambient stuff, one track lasted 55 minutes yesterday without a hint of anything bollocking ballady.

Harumph.

The_Werewolf_Arngeirr 02-06-13 07:30 PM

its near impossible to find real music anymore, a few bands still do it (amon amarth) and you have to look to the underworld or the outskirts of music to find real music anymore.

"top 40" music has been shit for a long while, and its only getting worse, rock has left the mainstream almost completely save for emo whiney shit, metal has been adopting more emo shit to become more popular.

The world goes through phases, ive noticed even through our tastes of auditory enjoyment, going back and fourth from "poetry" and "composed music" as ill categorize them, poetry being more about the words spoken, generally in rhyme (hip hop and rap currently fit this category), where composed music is about the sound, the note, the instruments, classical and metal are prime examples here.

Tawa 02-06-13 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Werewolf_Arngeirr (Post 1337193)
"top 40" music has been shit for a long while, and its only getting worse

About forty years by my reckoning. :whistle:

Iron Angel 02-06-13 08:08 PM

I think the idea behind the growling vocals has been lost. Some do it right, ex.a: Skeletonwitch, where the vocals synergize with the instrumentals, but most think they are amazing because they can growl and try to put it forth as the primary element of the music and it doesn't work. Ever heard someone do gutterals with no instruments? Not going to lie, even though I am a metalhead, I think it sounds full retard. The soul-twisting, face-melting, body-wracking hardcore instrumentals are the key behind the music and too many kids have lost that. I successfully converted my younger sister into a metalhead from a screamo kid, because that shit is unacceptable in my car, and I think the issue is that kids today have just never actually heard good music, because once they get used to it they like it better. They have been indoctrinated into this current-gen trash and thats sad.

I lulled her in with some Arch Enemy, revealed that the vocalist was female, and she was surprised. She now lives for metal, like the rest of us. THE METAL NEVER DIES AS LONG AS THE PROPHETS PREACH ITS AWESOME MESSAGE!

normtheunsavoury 02-06-13 09:18 PM

What I think is killing metal at the moment is technicality, I fucking hate technical metal, its soulless, bland and boring. I think the only band that actually pull it off are Nile, they may well be technical but they don't sound it, their music still has feeling. Cannibal Corpse's new stuff is horrible, I saw them in London last year and left halfway through their set, it was terrible.
My metal heroes are people like Kerry King, Max Cavalera, Tom G Warrior and the guys from Godflesh, their stuff is primitive, brutal and fucking loud, the way metal should be.

I don't care if you're playing in an off time signature, if it sounds shit then its not clever.
I don't care how long you spent getting the right tone on your guitar, it still sounds like shit to me.

Tune down, play hard and let the details work themselves out.

Tawa 02-06-13 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury (Post 1337246)
My metal heroes are people like Kerry King, Max Cavalera, Tom G Warrior and the guys from Godflesh, their stuff is primitive, brutal and fucking loud, the way metal should be.

I don't care if you're playing in an off time signature, if it sounds shit then its not clever.
I don't care how long you spent getting the right tone on your guitar, it still sounds like shit to me.

Tune down, play hard and let the details work themselves out.

Logaan just made a new friend :laugh: :so_happy:

DeathJester921 02-06-13 09:49 PM

Can't stand the guttural screaming metal, where you can't understand a damn word that they say. I hate it with a fucking passion. I enjoy the instrumentals mostly, but there also has to be comprehendable lyrics to go along with the instrumentals. Otherwise, I get no enjoyment out of the music. This seems to be what most people consider the best kind of metal is the guttural screaming shit. If its somewhat like that, but you can still understand the lyrics, hey i'm down to listen to it. Otherwise no.

From the looks of it, I enjoy a different kind of metal than most of you guys (and gals as the case may be.) Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Manowar, Iced Earth, In Flames for the most part. Five Finger Death Punch. Absolutely love them. Iron Maiden on occasion. Trivium occasionaly. Listened to some Amon Amarth.

If anyone here has anything that fits into my likes, you know, with lyrics that are understandable, then message me or something. I'm open to new bands and broadening what I listen to.

Also, I think something else that is killing good music is pop, rap, and hip hop. Most kids these days, it seems, think that is all good music. I respect their opinions of course, but it is still shit music that deserves to be purged from history.

Iron Angel 02-06-13 09:59 PM

Oh don't misunderstand. I like Sabbath and Motorhead and all the other classics just as much as I like Skeletonwitch and other growling vocal bands. They just need to do it right, thats the caveat. I like all metal, including metal like Nightwish (Their old stuff moreso) even though its not traditional metal, and more symphonic.

THey just have to do it right, and no one these days can.