Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Rules Discussion (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/17-40k-rules-discussion/)
-   -   psyker power quick question (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-rules-discussion/120523-psyker-power-quick-question.html)

fatmantis 01-19-13 06:51 AM

psyker power quick question

can a great knight librarian change his powers to the BRB powers and use warp rift power that he brought as wargear....? i thought you could only use either or not form both but as you buy it does it change....
cheers guys

Magpie_Oz 01-19-13 11:21 AM

You can either use the Codex powers or the rulebook powers, you can't mix them.
If you have Warp Rift you can't have any rulebook powers

You do keep Hammerhand though.

fatmantis 01-19-13 12:49 PM

thanks mags i thought that was the case...but we just wanted to confirm it anyway cheers dude

Arcane 01-19-13 05:45 PM

I believe IIRC that Cotaez is the only character from C:GK that can change all his powers out for BRB powers. An Inquisitor can also change out his one power and probably both should a Daemonblade make him level 2.

Zion 01-19-13 05:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcane (Post 1330884)
I believe IIRC that Cotaez is the only character from C:GK that can change all his powers out for BRB powers. An Inquisitor can also change out his one power and probably both should a Daemonblade make him level 2.

From the Grey Knights FAQ:

Quote:

Psychic Powers
A Grey Knights Librarian may use the psychic disciplines found in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook, instead of those in Codex: Grey Knights. If he does so, generate a number of psychic powers equal to his Mastery Level from the Divination, Pyromancy or Telekinesis disciplines (in any combination) before armies are deployed. If he does so he may not purchase additional powers. Hammerhand cannot be exchanged in this manner, but is instead retained in addition to the powers purchased or generated by the Librarian.

An Inquisitor with Mastery Level 1 can exchange his psychic power for a single roll on either the Divination, Pyromancy or Telekinesis disciplines. Coteaz can generate two powers from either the Divination, Pyromancy or Telekinesis disciplines (in any combination) in place of those listed on his profile. In the case of Coteaz, unlike the Grey Knights Librarian, the Hammerhand power listed on his profile is replaced by one of the powers generated as normal.

Magpie_Oz 01-19-13 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcane (Post 1330884)

Libbies and Inquisitors.

Interesting idea with the Daemonblade, that would be worth a question to GW I reckon.

Arcane 01-19-13 10:09 PM

That's very cool that the Libby now gets 3 powers for the price of 2. It's my opinion however that his purchasable GK powers are far too good to pass up over random powers. Inquisitors though are a great cheap way to get more psychic powers from the BRB if you only have 50 or so points to spare in your list.

Magpie_Oz 01-19-13 10:15 PM

The libby would have to pay an extra 50 points to get 3 powers, so the Codex powers are a more economical choice all 'round. I've rarely had opportunity to cast more than 2 a turn, unless you're in a situation where Force Weapon activation is happening a lot.

Arcane 01-19-13 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz (Post 1330986)
The libby would have to pay an extra 50 points to get 3 powers, so the Codex powers are a more economical choice all 'round. I've rarely had opportunity to cast more than 2 a turn, unless you're in a situation where Force Weapon activation is happening a lot.

No, if the Librarian chooses to exchange his powers he chooses 2 powers from the BRB, as he is Psyker Mastery level 2. He then also retains Hammerhand. This gives him a total of 3 powers available to him. You are incorrect.

I mentioned it though that it is indeed better to just keep the codex powers since they are arguably more powerful, not random and are also extremely cheap to buy more of. So unless you really wanted something from the BRB... but in such a case it's really cheap to just take a 55 point Inquisitor if that's up your alley.