Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Female Space Marines (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/119786-female-space-marines.html)

GabrialSagan 12-29-12 03:40 PM

Female Space Marines

I don't know about you all but I am glad that GW finally retconned that stupid "only men can be space marines" rule in the 6th edition.

normtheunsavoury 12-29-12 03:56 PM

They did?

Must have missed that bit?

darkreever 12-29-12 03:57 PM

Uh, any books and pages you can give us reference to this?

And it wasn't so much a rule as the 'science', which kind of made sense in its own way.

GabrialSagan 12-29-12 04:09 PM

I read through all of 6th ed and their is not a single reference to the gene seed being keyed to the male hormones. Logically if they do not say that space marines are all men (the way they specifically mention that the sisters of battle are all women) then space marines can be either gender.

Farseer Darvaleth 12-29-12 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrialSagan (Post 1322643)
I don't know about you all but I am glad that GW finally retconned that stupid "only men can be space marines" rule in the 6th edition.

Maybe you're thinking of Sisters of Battle? They're not actual Space Marines, and they've been around for a long time. Not sure what you've got confused with?

I think if GW had actually introduced female Space Marines, we might have noticed it by now.

normtheunsavoury 12-29-12 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrialSagan (Post 1322655)
I read through all of 6th ed and their is not a single reference to the gene seed being keyed to the male hormones. Logically if they do not say that space marines are all men (the way they specifically mention that the sisters of battle are all women) then space marines can be either gender.

Does it explicitly state that Garro is not trapped in the throne room rubbing his knob on the big E's face?
'cos, you know, if it doesn't say he isn't then he must be!

GabrialSagan 12-29-12 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury (Post 1322658)
Does it explicitly state that Garro is not trapped in the throne room rubbing his knob on the big E's face?
'cos, you know, if it doesn't say he isn't then he must be!

The difference being that Garro in the Golden Throne does not make sense while retconning a stupid rule like all space marines are male makes perfect sense. Only a misogynist douche bag would think that it is a good idea to say that only men are capable of transcending to the lofty ranks of homo sapien astartes.

Angel of Blood 12-29-12 04:46 PM

Lux?

SonofMalice 12-29-12 04:48 PM

Oh no, not this again. Didn't we just have this discussion before the site crashed? I distinctly recall that being the case. Regardless I am going to say this. If it makes you feel better to have women be space marines fine but only in the very VERY oldest lore will you find even a mention of the concept. If you look at 99.99999% of the printed works, codices, and WD articles you are bound for disappointment however. Honestly I've just started thinking of them as sexless beings since they are sterile (as far as I know) after implantation. Also goes hand in hand with the whole Angels of Death thing. It is worth noting, as someone else will eventually, that they refer to themselves EXCLUSIVELY as male.

Captain Stillios 12-29-12 04:50 PM

Sounds like Lux has a clone...