Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Modelling and Painting (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/27-modelling-painting/)
-   -   Varnish and basing. (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/modelling-painting/119249-varnish-basing.html)

Jace of Ultramar 12-12-12 12:23 PM

Varnish and basing.

Hello,

I'm moving along with my painting and a thought occurred just occurred concerning varnish and basing. Is it better to varnish first and then base or base the mini and the spray the varnish? Also, what varnish is best for acrylics like the Citadel paints?

Magpie_Oz 12-12-12 12:33 PM

I do everything then "varnish" as the final step.

I use a Tamiya Matt, Semi-gloss or Gloss spray lacquer as my final coat. It is simply superb and makes a HUGE difference to the final look of the mini.

Jace of Ultramar 12-12-12 12:40 PM

So, you varnish the basing? Does that effect static grass? If so, how? Also, I'm just curious to know if the basing materials, for example the new Citadel basing textures, to an already varnished base.

Magpie_Oz 12-12-12 12:44 PM

It's not bothered the static grass on the Vargheists I did recently. The thing is, with the Tamiya sprays the coat you put on is so thin it makes no difference to the material itself.

Those texture paints will go over just about anything I'd reckon, they are so thick !

It would only be a problem on a glossy finish base and if you're worried just give it a light sand.

Jace of Ultramar 12-12-12 12:52 PM

Ok, I'll look and see if the local Hobby Town has the Tamiya Matt varnish. Thanks!

The Son of Horus 12-13-12 01:34 AM

I wouldn't spray anything over static grass- I'd spray your varnish first, and then glue the grass on afterwards.

Jace of Ultramar 12-14-12 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Son of Horus (Post 1317045)
I wouldn't spray anything over static grass- I'd spray your varnish first, and then glue the grass on afterwards.

Ok, easily done. I didn't think varnish and static grass would mix too much. I'm just curious as to how well glue will stick to a surface with varnish on it.

VaUgHaNy86 12-14-12 01:15 PM

I tend to base everything first, and I prefer to use the paint on varnishes, just can't get on with the spray varnishes at all, I have glued to varnished bases before and it seemed to take ok, but if your concerned it should be easy enough just to rough up the area you want to glue to first with a needle file or a blade before you glue to it

Djinn24 12-14-12 01:22 PM

I'm a huge fan of mid paint varnish so normally I have sprayed 5 or 6 varnish coats before I finish painting then will base and varnish it again. Like TSoH said, static grass after though. Everything else is fair game. I would watch out on water as well since you normally want it to be shiney.

Carsen 12-20-12 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz (Post 1316778)
I do everything then "varnish" as the final step.

I use a Tamiya Matt, Semi-gloss or Gloss spray lacquer as my final coat. It is simply superb and makes a HUGE difference to the final look of the mini.

Is there a possibility for you to post a with/without pictures?
I've never varnished any of my minis... yet...