Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Rules Discussion (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/17-40k-rules-discussion/)
-   -   Psychic Abilities and vehicles (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-rules-discussion/118838-psychic-abilities-vehicles.html)

CellteX 12-01-12 10:35 AM

Psychic Abilities and vehicles

Hi just a quick question or two.

1) I play Eldar and often have my Eldrad In a vehicle, Can he cast psychic abilities From within it and where is the range taken from, and does he need Fire points to cast abilities such as the Storm Or others that shoot at enemy models?

2) If he is within a vehicle that is stunned, Can he 1. Disembark? and or 2. Use any of his psychic abilities from within The vehicle (or is it limited to non witchfire ones) - Or whatever they are called. 3. Can he cast any of his abilities from outside the tank the turn it was stunned if he disembarks and if so is there a limit to those he can use.

Regards, CellteX

Sworn Radical 12-01-12 10:49 AM

Rulebook page 67, Declare Targets:

Quote:

Unless otherwise stated, the Psyker must have Line of Sight to his target. This means that a Psyker embarked on a Transport can only target himself, his vehicle or another unit embarked on the same vehicle as the Psyker.
If said transport vehicle has Fire Points, then you would be allowed to use witchfire / psychic shooting attacks from within (can be found on page 78).

As for your second question ... a 'Crew Stunned' result has an effect on the transports passengers as well in that they cannot shoot in their shooting phase. So, I reckon, no witchfire powers could be used either.
Models could still disembark though.

Ragewind 12-01-12 04:56 PM

Fire Points only matter for the psychic shooting attacks, otherwise nothing else needs LOS, simply measure from the hull of the tank to affect a unit.

Azrell 12-01-12 06:02 PM

1. Eldar codex psychic powers have their own rules covered in the codex, one being not requiring line of sight for some. Ones that require a target still need LOS just like a shooting attack.

Standard book psychic power require LOS if the power has a target and cannot be use through a fire point on a vehicle, the exception being a PSA that is treated as an assault weapon and can be.

2. Disembarking does not remove the effects of crew shaken or stunned from the models that were embarked. So passengers that are "crew stunned" can not fire in their next shooting phase regardless of disembarking or not. This does however not stop them from using psychic power only PSAs.

Ragewind 12-01-12 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azrell (Post 1312132)
1. Eldar codex psychic powers have their own rules covered in the codex, one being not requiring line of sight for some. Ones that require a target still need LOS just like a shooting attack.

Standard book psychic power require LOS if the power has a target and cannot be use through a fire point on a vehicle, the exception being a PSA that is treated as an assault weapon and can be.

2. Disembarking does not remove the effects of crew shaken or stunned from the models that were embarked. So passengers that are "crew stunned" can not fire in their next shooting phase regardless of disembarking or not. This does however not stop them from using psychic power only PSAs.

Clever Girl.jpg

I'm so used to the Eldar powers not needing LOS i had to go recheck the whole thing page 67 is quite clear after all, here have some Rep.

Sworn Radical 12-02-12 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azrell (Post 1312132)

Yes, and specificaly in the case of Eldar psychic powers this means that
a.) Destructor, Eldritch Storm and Mind war are psychic shooting attacks and need LOS.
b.) Fortune, Guide and Doom can be used as stated in their codex description (for now).

Quote:

Exactly what I wrote.
And if you come to think about it, non-PSA powers would still be used at the beginning of the movement phase, and thus before the disembarktion, so they would be covered under question 1 again.

CellteX 12-02-12 09:32 PM

Thank you all for the responses.

So do i have this down???

Fire Points only matter for the psychic shooting attacks, otherwise nothing else needs LOS, simply measure from the hull of the tank to affect a unit.
Destructor, Eldritch Storm and Mind war are psychic shooting attacks and need LOS.
Fortune, Guide and Doom can don't need LOS.

So units inside a tank that is stunned can disembark and use Non shooting pshyic attacks

But if he remains inside he can still use non shooting attacks, but can never use the ones that require LOS as it has no fire points.

Magpie_Oz 12-02-12 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CellteX (Post 1312605)
Thank you all for the responses.

So do i have this down???

Destructor, Eldritch Storm and Mind war are psychic shooting attacks and need LOS.
Fortune, Guide and Doom can don't need LOS.

So units inside a tank that is stunned can disembark and use Non shooting pshyic attacks

But if he remains inside he can still use non shooting attacks, but can never use the ones that require LOS as it has no fire points.

No that 's not right at all.

Check the rules on Page 67

If the power requires a target you must have LOS. The only powers that can use Fire Points are Witchfires, any other Psychic Power that targets a unit cannot use fire points.

Doom would not be able to be done from a vehicle as it "targets a non-vehicle unit within 24""

Ragewind 12-02-12 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz (Post 1312623)
No that 's not right at all.

Check the rules on Page 67

If the power requires a target you must have LOS. The only powers that can use Fire Points are Witchfires, any other Psychic Power that targets a unit cannot use fire points.

Doom would not be able to be done from a vehicle as it "targets a non-vehicle unit within 24""

This is very strange as none of the Eldar powers ever needed LOS before. I'm looking through the FAQ which used to expclitey say we did not need LOS and cannot find it.

Magpie_Oz 12-03-12 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragewind (Post 1312655)
This is very strange as none of the Eldar powers ever needed LOS before. I'm looking through the FAQ which used to expclitey say we did not need LOS and cannot find it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

LOL

I was going off Doom saying "it targets"?