Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Space Marine Army Lists (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/139-space-marine-army-lists/)
-   -   1500 nilla Marines, What do you think? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/space-marine-army-lists/118069-1500-nilla-marines-what-do-you-think.html)

fett14622 11-06-12 10:09 AM

1500 nilla Marines, What do you think?

HQ:

Pedro Kantor; Cost: 175

Elite:

Sternguard; Cost: 260
7 strong; Meltagun
Sergeant; Combi-Plasmagun; Power Axe
"Rhino"

Dreadnought Cost: 115
Plasma Cannon

Troops:

Tactical Squad; Cost: 245
Meltagun; Missile Launcher
Sergeant; Combi-Flamer; Power Fist
"Rhino"

Tactical Squad; Cost: 250 (WILL BE combat squaded)
Meltagun; Plasma Cannon
Sergeant; Combi-Meltagun; Power Fist
"Rhino"

Tactical Squad; Cost: 245
Meltagun; Missile Launcher
Sergeant; Combi-Flamer; Power Fist
"Rhino"

Heavy Support:

Vindicator; Cost: 115

Predator; Cost: 105
Twin-Linked Lascannon

What do you think?:victory:

Jace of Ultramar 11-06-12 10:59 AM

Interesting list.

I'm assuming Pedro joins the Sternguard in bthe Rhino? Also, why just a Meltagun in that squad and not a fully decked out Combi toting Sternguard? Might be a little better.

The Dreadnought is nice, but may need a drop pod. Sure, the range on the PC is nice but getting it into position is a pain.

The tactical squads look fine to me, but, you will get those who will say the PF is too much and you may want to consider a PW and Meltabomb combo (which is effective and frees up points for Sternguard combis). Personally, if the squad to Combat out is tank hunting then you may want to swap the PF on just that squad, just my opinion.

The Vindicator is a good anti-tank unit. Is the Predator running with it? Also, a Predator with just the TL LC is quite expensive and a full out Predator with Autocannon and Heavy Bolter Sponsons will only run 85 point and makes for great anti-infantry.

Tyreal Ardeus 11-06-12 02:36 PM

I agree with Jace that the sternguard are probably better having combi-weapons of their own. I would also take the power axe off of the sergeant since pedro is in the unit with his fist anyways. Frees up some points.

Meltaguns. Meltaguns everywhere. Keep in mind that for meltaguns to do their best job they have to be within 6" of the target vehicle. Most smart enemies will easily stay out of your tactical squad's melta range (who are probably sitting still on an objective anyways) so I'm not entirely sure it will be the most useful there except on the combat squad. Maybe switch the missile launchers for Multi-Meltas? Twice the range, twice the threat. Works much better on objective holding tacticals.

I like the plasma you have in the list, I think it's a highly underrated weapon choice. I'd use it myself but I don't have the plasma guns model with. Maybe switch the aforementioned meltaguns for plasma? It'll more than likely make its points back.

I also agree with Jace on the power fists being a bit much. I know it was (is?) all the rage to throw a power fist in every model you could, but I never saw the point in it since marines are far *beyond* awful in close combat anyways. Even the simplest of CC assaults can sweep a marine squad off of the map let alone an objective. Yeah power fist kind of adds to that, but for probably a single round of combat, then will die. Just never saw the reasoning for so many points just to die as soon as it gets into close combat, which is where it *shouldn't* be anyways. Just my personal opinion though.

If you can find the points I would highly recommend switching the predator's turret lascannon for the sponson lascannons. Two LC shots at BS 4 are better than a single twin linked one, especially since over the course of the game it's firing many more (accurate) shots. Would really help your ranged anti-tank a long ways.

Lastly, while I don't mind the Plasma Cannon Dread, I would just like you to consider switching to a lascannon. Would give that extra anti-tank/monstrous creature oomph from a large range. Whether you do or don't It would be a good idea to give it a missile launcher on its other arm. That close combat weapon isn't going to be doing much from 36-48" away. Missile launcher will (just not much).

Overall though I like the list, lots of special and heavy weapons of every kind, very diverse. Hope you find this helpful. :grin: