Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Television and Movies (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/174-television-movies/)
-   -   Expendables 3? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/television-movies/115924-expendables-3-a.html)

Bane_of_Kings 08-13-12 03:14 PM

Expendables 3?

Okay, so I haven't seen the first two yet, but just thought that this might be interesting to some people:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/1...dables-3-talks

Quote:

With The Expendables 2 about to hit cinemas worldwide, producer Avi Lerner has been discussing a potential threequel, with some very big names apparently in talks.

Speaking to Total Film, Lerner said “We’ve approached Clint Eastwood to be one of the guys. We’ve got a character in mind for him. We’re talking to Harrison Ford. Wesley Snipes when he comes back from prison. I’ll give you one more name – we’ve got Nicolas Cage.”

And if that weren’t enough testosterone Lerner also has plans for one of the stars of the original who failed to return for part two.

“We’re going to bring Mickey Rourke back, if he won’t be too crazy. I like Mickey. And of course, all the existing stars [will return].”

Which includes the superstar likes of Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Jason Statham and Jet Li.

Igni Ferroque 08-13-12 07:49 PM

Why this big load of absolute crap got a sequel is beyond me. My god, the first script was written in crayon! Why are they making a third one?

Have peoples taste for the bland SOS really got to this level?

scscofield 08-13-12 09:28 PM

It's 80's nostalgia at it's finest, I know I grew up watching most of those guys. If I go back and flip any of it on now it is hilarious on how horrible most of it it was. The movie is only good in the sense that it's a flashback full of retarded lines and hilarious over the top stupid action.

Igni Ferroque 08-13-12 10:09 PM

I can see how people would enjoy it that why, but there's just something that irks me so much about this film. Maybe its the young guns trying to be like the 80's action heroes. The 80's should have stayed in the 80's :P

scscofield 08-13-12 10:16 PM

::shrugs:: It is cheese at it's finest. It is not designed to do anything more than cash in on macho overload.

Varakir 08-13-12 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scscofield (Post 1282803)
::shrugs:: It is cheese at it's finest. It is not designed to do anything more than cash in on macho overload.

If anything the first one wasn't cheesy enough. I expected Shoot-em up levels of stupidity, but all i got was lots of chatting and some ok action scenes.

Fingers crossed Expendables 2 is full on mindless drivel & macho posturing.

Roninman 08-14-12 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Igni Ferroque (Post 1282725)
Why this big load of absolute crap got a sequel is beyond me. My god, the first script was written in crayon! Why are they making a third one?

Have peoples taste for the bland SOS really got to this level?

Im 100% with you

normtheunsavoury 08-14-12 04:01 PM

Its leave your brain at the door action stupidity and I love it for those exact reasons. Not every film has to be a cerebral, life altering experience, sometimes its nice to just switch off and be entertained.
The eighties and early nineties were full of these sorts of films, Cobra, Tango and Cash, Raw Deal, Commando the list goes on. They were terrible films with terrible scripts and terrible acting but they were also incredibly entertaining.

Igni Ferroque 08-14-12 06:28 PM

[Edit]: I'll add butthurt alert!

Now Varakir gives a good example of leave your brains at the door action in "Shoot'em up." Now that is the perfect satire of gun flicks. What I don't get is people complaining about Michael Bay films being all explosions and nothing else, while watching this kind of film without giving a damn.

I am not looking for "cerebral, life altering mysticism" when I go to the cinema. But by god a little bit of effort into making a film wouldn't hurt. Its a B movie given the budget of a Triple A film.

Yeh, something about these films really drive me nuts. :P

Zetronus 08-14-12 07:20 PM

Michael Bay sucks ass! and ruined my transformers by turning it into a cheesy teen sex movie!!!

Anyway, that outburst aside, as others have said, expendables is a great action - leave you brain at the door - movie... I call 'em pop-corn movies as they dont have much more substance than that!

Despite my self, I really enjoyed the first one, and will certainly be watching the second, and to know theres a third with Clinty, Snipes and Cage....well shit!... I'l have me some of that action too!