Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   10 dead at batman premier in denver (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/114530-10-dead-batman-premier-denver.html)

normtheunsavoury 07-20-12 01:12 PM

As Serpion said, tightening of gun laws in the US may make a difference. I'm not defending their laws as such I'm just saying that an outright ban on guns wouldn't stop gun crime.

Magpie_Oz 07-20-12 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpion5 (Post 1266923)
But no, you asked why not just ban guns. Ban them. Period. Now tell me why that will work or your view is essentially baseless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury (Post 1266942)
... an outright ban on guns wouldn't stop gun crime.

Gun deaths per 100,000

Sth Africa 80+ Anarchy
US 10 Right to bear arms
Aus 1.5 Tight restrictions. 50% reduction in gun deaths since 1996 (broad based bans on gun introduced)
UK 0.4 Even tighter restrictions

Most firearms deaths in the the UK and Aus are suicides by gun owners. 90% of gun deaths in Aus are from this.

Varakir 07-20-12 01:12 PM

That is horrific. Without meaning to sound trivial of the other casualties, the 9 year old girl shot in the stomach is heartbreaking.

Guns really shouldn't be allowed anywhere. They are instruments of death, and nothing else. Vicious morons with no respect for life will always be the reason that innocent people are killed, but guns make it so much easier for them.

There's nothing else on earth that makes it so easy to eradicate life.

I can see why people are so protective of their gun rights when you live in a country where virtually anyone can arm themselves, and i appreciate we'll never get rid of all guns. But the fact that gun crime is much, much lower in comparable countries where guns are banned still stands.

Zetronus 07-20-12 01:18 PM

so you need firearms to defend oneself against firearms...

thats circular logic and utter bollox.

here is why you need to adjust ones attitude

Quote:

Local media report that six victims, ranging in age from six to 31, were being treated at the Aurora Children's Hospital.

The youngest victim was a three-month-old baby.
Gun culture.... it matters not if you want to admit it to yourselves - GUNS only have ONE purpose, having one means intent to use - but when one considers that life is nothing more than a cost of a bullet... its hardly a display of a civilized society.

If you think your right to feel powerfull in your pants is more than the life of a child then you are sorely SORELY lost in life.

bitsandkits 07-20-12 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury (Post 1266942)
As Serpion said, tightening of gun laws in the US may make a difference. I'm not defending their laws as such I'm just saying that an outright ban on guns wouldn't stop gun crime.

no it wouldnt and maybe the horse has bolted, but then again wouldnt hurt to give it a go would it

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Magpie_Oz 07-20-12 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetronus (Post 1266948)
so you need firearms to defend oneself against firearms...

90% of people who die in Australia from firearms are at their own hand by their own gun.

You are 4.5 times more likely to be shot if you have a gun.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...nd-killed.html

Serpion5 07-20-12 01:21 PM

Thing is, The US has reached a point where trying to change laws to this extent could potentially cause more damage than good. Tightening the laws may work, outright changing them won't, especially when so many citizens are already in possession of the exact thing you'd be trying to eradicate.

I'm too young to remember guns being legal in Oz in any detail, so you'll have to clarify this for me. Were gun laws regulated by state or Federal Government?

Magpie_Oz 07-20-12 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpion5 (Post 1266951)
Thing is, The US has reached a point where trying to change laws to this extent could potentially cause more damage than good. Tightening the laws may work, outright changing them won't, especially when so many citizens are already in possession of the exact thing you'd be trying to eradicate.

That is the standard excuse. The above stat shows that "packing heat" is a bloody good way to get yourself shot.

A gun buy back program in the US would reap huge numbers of guns, why hold up a liquor store if you can get more money legally by selling you gun?

The big losers would be the gun manufacturers, unfortunate but you get that sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpion5 (Post 1266951)
I'm too young to remember guns being legal in Oz in any detail, so you'll have to clarify this for me. Were gun laws regulated by state or Federal Government?

Gun laws were regulated at a state level with the Federal Govt controlling imports. This is still more or less the case however the Federal gun policy was adopted by the states post Port Arthur and a National Committee on firearms regulations by state police.

normtheunsavoury 07-20-12 01:31 PM

Thinking about it, is comparing the UK vs. US a good comparison?

Sure, in the UK guns are difficult to get hold of but gun crime still exists, you're just more likely to get stabbed.

The problem isn't so much about gun control, if the US bans guns, gun crime will go down, they'll just stab each other like we do in the UK. If you ban mobile phones, mobile phone thefts will drop to zero, theft won't.

The problem is more a social issue than anything else, it doesn't really matter what people are killing each other with, take everything else away and people will beat each other to death with rocks if they have to.

Zetronus 07-20-12 01:31 PM

Quote:

...The big losers would be the gun manufacturers, unfortunate but you get that sometimes.
I wonder what there political campaign contributions buys them?